GHG Mallard Field Shells

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

GHG Mallard Field Shells

Postby KamronG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 pm

I just bout some GHG Mallard Field Shells and I am strongly considering putting the motion cones in them just because the stakes they come with are a pain to use and a little more motion can never hurt anything for field hunting ducks. So I just wanted to know if anyone has done this, and if they did what they thought of it? Is it worth the money to get the motion cones? And yes I have already taken into consideration that you wont be able to stack them in bags if I put the motion cones on them. I only have 4 dozen though, and plan on buying 4-12 slot bags anyway.
Thanks for any comments that anyone leaves.
KamronG
hunter

Re: GHG Mallard Field Shells

Postby muskyduck » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 am

Don't do it. I have 2 dozen and love them! The stakes barely fit in the hole at the top for a reason.... to avoid the wind knocking them off because they are so light. Not only is the motion cones a waste of $$ IMO, but it also defeats the purpose and more then likely you will be picking up a lot of knocked over decs. Food for thought.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:18 am

If the stakes are a pain but a slight bevel on them where they enter the decoy. I give mine a shot of white paint around the hole on the underside making it easier to find the hole in the dark. Some of the holes are way too tight and drilling them out so they are just snug helps.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Chamfer the stakes, put a dollop of glow paint on the top of the stake, and debur the stake hole. Best part about those dekes is carrying 24 in a 12 slot bag. If you going to put cones in them might as well buy fullbodies for $160 a dozen.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:04 pm

do we need to put some hair on it for you so you can find it???
klee7013
hunter

Postby slough » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:24 pm

tornadochaser wrote: If you going to put cones in them might as well buy fullbodies for $160 a dozen.

I would agree. After you put cones in them the cost wouldn't be much different and you wouldn't be saving much space. I have 3 doz of the mallard shells, they are good deeks.
slough
hunter

Postby mainman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:58 pm

WHERE ARE YOU FINDING AVERY FULL BODIES FOR 160 A DOZEN
Stick and stay and make it pay
mainman
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:56 am

$150 plus shipping for a dozen ghg fb mallards at rogers right now...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Fred_Bear » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:59 am

tornadochaser wrote:Chamfer the stakes, put a dollop of glow paint on the top of the stake, and debur the stake hole. Best part about those dekes is carrying 24 in a 12 slot bag. If you going to put cones in them might as well buy fullbodies for $160 a dozen.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.

I drill the stake hole out just a bit and paint the top of the stakes pink with survey paint. After doing that they are just as easy to use as the GHG full bodies, and they actually move with less wind that the FB's. I put 2 dozen in a 12 slot FB duck bag. I have the old style oversize GHG FB mallards and the oversize GHG mallard shells. They are both awesome decoys, but the shells save on the wallet and take up half the space.

I don't like the new Pro-Grade FB mallards. If they were the same price as the shells... I'd buy the shells.
Fred_Bear
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting