opeaning day

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

opeaning day

Postby AK Ducks » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:09 am

alright here's my opeaning day.
9:00 pm aguest 31st we head out (had the route to are spot flagged so we wanted to go when it was light out)
9:40 lost flagging found new lake looks promising
9:41 meet two kids(we talked to them the day before also) they were camping out that night but hunting a diffrent lake
10:00-2:00AM talk and hang out around the fire the kids call us old :eek:
3:00 AM we go to our spot and start setting out decoys (hard because we coulding walk to the water's edge (sink in the mud) and had to use a raft to set out decoys.

6:00 am shooting light no ducks

7:00 ducks start showing up pretty good we start geting so shooting
7;30 I have class and have to leave pretty lame cause the hunting was just getting good.

overall we had a alright day. 6 ducks wtich was what we were aiming for (no freezer at the moment) but we also lost 6 ducks in the reeds and trees so I don't think we'll go back.

we might look for some feilds to hunt next weekend but tomarrow were heading up murphy dome to look for grouse and rabits .
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:54 pm

Aren't you a little young to be taking 8am classes? :toofunny:

I got to where I wanted to be in Gull lake, but the birds weren't flying in their normal patterns from years past. Most of them were up and out of the grass by 6am well before shooting time down here.

At 8am I decided to mover over closer to some trees and out of the grass and my motor started running rough and then let out a rabbit squeal with a bunch of steam. Dead and no water out of the pee hole. Really hard to pull over to see if it was siezed or not. Didn't know exactly what happened at the time so I switched to Armstrong power.

I paddled 2.5 hours back to the ramp. Thankfully I didn't go all the way into Leaf lake, or I would have been playing tag with the airboats on the creek. Also It was a very nice to day to be paddling around the swamp.

After all that work I shot at one duck that saw me well before I saw it. I was watching two birds start to come towards me when a single popped in on my blind side and then rocketed out of the area.

Last year was much better for opportunties. I know that the whole Su valley is filled with water from the storms in August so the birds may not be interrested in coming in to town like they normally do this time of year.

Just got the call from the mechanic and it was just the water pump totally gone - nothing seized like I thought. I guess I am too hard on the outboard treating it like a prodrive. I am gonna have to stop that weed bashing late in the season.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby skybust » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:18 pm

Ray sorry to hear you had such a bad opening day I shot two grouse sitting in a chair from the kitchen if it make you feel any better. Where you going to hunt this weekend chris
skybust
hunter

Postby akbrett » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:44 pm

WOW!! It sounds like opening day was exhausting for both of you. I popped on down to the Anchorage Coastal Refuge and saw more ducks than I could shake a stick at (I know... I tried) before shooting light. At one point (10 min. before go time) I had 16 ducks swimming around in my decoys. At 6:22 World War III began. I was amazed at how many people were out in the marsh with me. Most of the hunters out there seemed to have the stuff together, except for the three skybusters who were shooting at everything on the horizon with their big 10's (they make quite the racket). As the festivities slowed down the birds came back and I managed to pick up a mallard and 2 teal. I missed another mallard and didn't even get a shot off at about 6 more as they came from my blind side and swung wide to avoid another hunter who was jump shooting further down.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:53 pm

LOL.

I didnt hunt opener as I was out Karibou hunting, but I did step out on Sunday and Monday..... Saw some stuff got to shoot..... but Im tellin ya, they must not have put shot on my shells :laughing:

Hopefully Ill do better w/ the field goose huning I have planned for this weekend :smile:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:11 am

How did the 'bou huntung go Stouff?
akbrett
hunter

Chris

Postby AK Ray » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:45 am

I am headed out of town for work on wednesday and won't be back till next week. I am going to try and hook up with a friend in Fairbanks, but don't know how that will work out yet.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby AKcoldhunter » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:21 pm

Well I had the best opener of my life. the first and second, 3of us brought back 58 ducks. then i went the 3rd and 4th and got 10 more. so im at 30 duck on the year. :salude:
That dog will hunt
AKcoldhunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:00 pm

AKcoldhunter wrote:Well I had the best opener of my life. the first and second, 3of us brought back 58 ducks. then i went the 3rd and 4th and got 10 more. so im at 30 duck on the year. :salude:

]
:eek: Talk about some good luck :thumbsup:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby cajuninalaska » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:43 pm

GOT 24 FOR 3 LIMITS IN 40 MIUTES OPENING DAY HERE IN kING SALMON. PLENTY OF DUCKS HERE NOW, IT KEEPS GETTING BETTER.
cajuninalaska
hunter

Postby cajuninalaska » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:44 pm

GOT 24 FOR 3 LIMITS IN 40 MIUTES OPENING DAY HERE IN kING SALMON. PLENTY OF DUCKS HERE NOW, IT KEEPS GETTING BETTER.
cajuninalaska
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:02 pm

Cajun,
What kind of ducks you shooting out there? Using dekes or pass shooting? Blind?
Thanks
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby cajuninalaska » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:45 pm

[quote="otterbfishin"]Cajun,
Thanks

Lets see if I can name them all. In a total of 5 hunts either myself or hunting partners have shot teal, mallards, spoons, grey(gadwall), widgeon, 1 black duck, harlequin, and pintail., ringneck and redhead.
In addition, there are thousands of canadian geese using the area in addition to swans and sandhill crane. I view the latter three on every hunt, but none have landed in my decoys yet. This weekend I may walk into the tundra and try to bust a sandhill, if they'll hold still long enough. That tundra is hard hiking.

I've been hunting over a spread of teal, widgeon, pintail and mallard decoys from a blind on an elevated mound on the bank of the Naknek river
cajuninalaska
hunter

Postby cajuninalaska » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:46 pm

[quote="otterbfishin"]Cajun,
Thanks

Lets see if I can name them all. In a total of 5 hunts either myself or hunting partners have shot teal, mallards, spoons, grey(gadwall), widgeon, 1 black duck, harlequin, and pintail., ringneck and redhead.
In addition, there are thousands of canadian geese using the area in addition to swans and sandhill crane. I view the latter three on every hunt, but none have landed in my decoys yet. This weekend I may walk into the tundra and try to bust a sandhill, if they'll hold still long enough. That tundra is hard hiking.

I've been hunting over a spread of teal, widgeon, pintail and mallard decoys from a blind on an elevated mound on the bank of the Naknek river
cajuninalaska
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:42 am

I doubt it was a blackduck AK is way out of there range ever try swan dekes? I know cabelas sells em I remember all the cranes in western ak so cool :salude:
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:51 am

Might have been a Pin-mal - pretty much looks like a f'd up looking mallard....man the things that happen when hybrids hit the air :P
OneLunG
hunter

Postby cajuninalaska » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:10 am

The closest thng we could call it was a black duck, but then no one was sure. It tasted good. I forgot to add bluebills to the list, got some opening day. My son reminded me.
cajuninalaska
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:05 pm

I always see a ton of scaup in the spring but never any in the fall its weird
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting