Magnum vs standard decoys

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Magnum vs standard decoys

Postby Cul D' Canard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 am

Is there any real advantage to magnum-sized decoys? This late in the season I alway have trouble getting mallards to decoy on public land, and a friend said to buy a dozen magnum decoys and add them to my spread. Is it worth the money?

CDC
"We're all in this together" - Red Green
Cul D' Canard
hunter

Re: Magnum vs standard decoys

Postby imboray » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:51 pm

I like bigger dekes because they are more visable. That being said, I am not sure what your buddy was basing the idea on though, its typically harder to finish late season birds so I don't know why mags would make a difference. Try a jerk string or add some canada floaters to your spread, & most of all make sure you are hid & lay off the calling.
imboray
hunter

Postby sloth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:16 pm

a smaller spred with more hens helps this time of year to IMO. Drakes are looking to pair up with all the single ladies. if you watch the birds around you will see some hen/drake pairs alredy and they will not like large flocks. just my 2 cents.
DU Member
YAT-YAS
USMC '04-'12
sloth
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:36 am

There are times when magnums are beneficial and there are times when standards are a better choice. For example, when the birds are working to smaller spreads, magnums are good in that they are visible from a longer distance. But on those occasions (this morning was one here) when the birds are congregating in larger groups, standard sized blocks are a better choice simply because you can carry more of them. This is particularly true of walk in hunts, but it also applies to boats, to an extent.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Cul D' Canard » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Good advice ... yes, I have to pack gear into the river about a 1/4 mile, and the mallards here are in large flocks this time of the year: I think I will stick with the standards. Too bad the season closes this weekend here. Much obliged.
CDC
"We're all in this together" - Red Green
Cul D' Canard
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting