A5 ring bulge - what to do

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: A5 ring bulge - what to do

Postby Windrider » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 pm

I've seen a ring bulge in a Belgium barrel before and that is larger than what I've seen.

Cut back and use briley thin walls that are steel safe. Then use no shot larger than 2s.

I have two duck hunting A5s with Briley thin walls. I use 4s and 3s at relatively pedestrian velocities.
Windrider
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:25 am

Cut however much you want off and have a cutts compensator installed...you can still find them. Lessened recoil, 4 or 5 choke tubes...and fits the era when that gun was built. Only multi-choke system back then was a cutts or a polychoke!! :grooving:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:48 am

That barrel is toast.
If you don't believe me...go to college for four years. Take mechanical engineering and study HARD in material science class and I mean pay attention. They will teach you about cold-work on steel. Pay really close attention to that part because that's what has been done to the end of that barrel.

I'll save you four years and tell you what's going on in the steel in the last few inches of that barrel.
It got harder and more brittle wherever it was deformed. The next time it breaks will be worse and most likely chunks of barrel will fly off and possibly even hit someone. Could be the guy shooting the shotgun or someone standing next to him.

Where do you hunt so I can stay at least 500 yards away from you at all times when you shoot that Browning?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum