Attention NJ Waterfowl Hunters **Must Read**

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Attention NJ Waterfowl Hunters **Must Read**

Postby barngeatbayman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:52 pm

As you all know the 2012-2013 Coastal Waterfowl season has come to a conclusion. As I write this the weather has turned frigid and the best gunning days of the season will not be. The framework is set so that NJ could have a season up till the end of January; NY, MD, MA and DE ALL have seasons with later ending dates than NJ; Why is This?
I have been told by state biologists, wardens and federal biologists, all 1st hand this is because ‘you guys wanted it this way!’ I challenge that because I for one, along with many other hardcore coastal gunners would like to see the coastal zone season go to the last possible day, given the current framework. Most of my fellow waterfowl hunters are probably not aware that we tried to change this last year but due to our failure to get organized, change did not happen for the coastal zone, but as I write this retention ponds, salt ponds, creeks, rivers and bays are beginning to freeze which would have given us some great waterfowl hunting opportunities this week, for our usual species as well as some exotics. Due to last year’s behind the scenes negotiating a survey was drafted to poll duck hunters on ‘How would you like your season structured?’. 1,000 surveys went out randomly with the expectation of getting 40%-50% of them back, I know hardly anyone who received one. But putting that aside why should 400-500 waterfowl hunters decide the fate of our seasons?

We are trying to put together a unified coalition of serious waterfowl hunters who would like to see change. I feel along with dozens of others that I have spoken to, that we can have true compromise that all could live with. We are in the early stages of putting together a Town-Hall coalition of duck hunters that would like to see the season for coastal zone gunning made later and give us all an opportunity for some quality gunning each year. I ask for everyone’s feedback and suggestions, I would like to see this discussion open to North Zone & South Zone hunters as well and if you want changes too let’s all work together on a unified front. The only thing I ask is that when we announce our Town-Hall meeting that you find the time to come out and show your support on a Unified front. We are not looking for any arguments and want this to be a positive and productive forum. We also will try to get some state officials to attend as well. I ask for your attendance & support when plans are announced.

Thank you
barngeatbayman
hunter

Re: Attention NJ Waterfowl Hunters **Must Read**

Postby FowlHooked » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:24 pm

I know i never received any waterfowl season survey. I agree with you. Im in. South zone as well. Same thing ends way to early.Mid part of season is always slow so why not put those days to the end. The amount of birds i saw the beginn of this wk was impressive. Where i live in south zone mallards just started showing up??
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
http://Www.fowlhooked.org
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:45 am

The only thing that worries me is the states enthusiasm to make a change, the whole DEP, fish and game, MVC, ect. Is broke and the lazy. Just hope they actually do the little work needed to change the season dates for all of us. If there's a meeting, a petition or anything we can do I'm sure we will all pull together and make an attendance and make our opinions known, it just comes down to them actually following through with it which worries me in this state.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby duk_hunter155 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:51 am

Great idea! I would attend the meeting please be sure to post in chat. Pushing back the north zone this year was a great help.
duk_hunter155
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:07 pm

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I think you are chasing your tails with this one. As you well know the state must work around the Federally set dates in the different flyways and the individual states work within those parameters. You are talking about 4 days difference here in the Atlantic Flyway. All the seasons are the same number of days, the individual states break it down slightly differently. Be careful what you ask for. We may lose our 3 zones and have one season late missing early teal season... I'm not saying that's what's going to happen but I think right now with the 3 zones we have an awfully long duck season if you travel and with Sept goose and late season goose and the CO for snows you can waterfowl hunt here for 7 MONTHS!!

I have been thru many seasons that used to end the first week in January. We did ask for and received the later season. I did participate in the survey. I voted for the latest season in the coastal zone, earlier to the north and south. I don't remember the specifics but it turned out what we wanted. The Mig Bird Act will not allow hunting ducks after January as the ducks are pairing up.

Just my two cents
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby NeverFail » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Pete, the season ended on 22nd. What I think what everyone is saying is why isn't coastal open till January 31 this year. That would be 8 additional days not 4. To me that would be a big difference. This year that would be huge with everything freezing and whatever birds we have would be using the bays. Just my 2 cents. Mark
NeverFail
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:33 pm

Atlantic Flyway
Ducks, Mergansers, and Coots
Outside Dates: Between the Saturday
nearest September 24 (September 22)
and the last Sunday in January (January
27).

The latest any State in the AF could hunt this year was January 26th, so we're only talking 4 more days.
I think the season should end on the last day the Feds allow, then count backwards 60 shooting days. That would be the opener, no matter what day of the week it falls on.
Even though I'm from PA, I got the Waterfowl Survey and told them about ending on the last possible day available to us.
The later the better.
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Leaky Boot understands. The reason we ended on the 22nd was because we open on Thanksgiving. Its give and take. You can't have it all. Besides the bay is freezing up while we type. I am scheduled to go snow goosing tomorrow but this afternoon half the bay was covered with ice.
pvn6616
hunter

Postby WHDUCKMAN » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm in. Best days are right now and we are all on the sidelines. Gotta make a change, 2 weeks would make a big difference. Close it down for a few weeks in middle of the season.
WHDUCKMAN
hunter

Postby papageno » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm still on the kick of extending SZ a week or two later. Plus or minus 4 days on CZ is not a big deal, although I'll take the latest date.

Interestingly, Maine extended its CZ until Jan 8 from the historic Dec 31. The serious hunters seem to like it, and the State may extend it more next year. There's a discussion on that forum.
papageno
hunter

Postby barngeatbayman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 pm

I just so happens that most states end there season on Jan 26th this year, that is understandable since it's a Saturday that is NOT the drop dead date. You can say all you want that it is only 4 days but it would have been the best 4 days this season the migration gets started later and later every season due to climate change why burn days when it's 60 and sunny. I don't expect everyone to be in agreement but WE need to speak with one voice. Step up and fight with us for change!! There we many guys that said that bowhunters wouldnt get Sunday hunting, hey guess what they got it, AND they got organized that is the key!!
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:37 pm

The latest any State in the AF could hunt this year was January 26th,

Really?? I guess me and the rest of the guys hunting Long Island on the 27th are outlaws...

You must be one of the pennsyltards launching your 18ft lowe roughneck with 50hp jetdrive in 3ft of water at the refuge ramp asking "what do those white signs mean???" :biggrin: :hi:
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:01 pm

barngeatbayman wrote:I just so happens that most states end there season on Jan 26th this year, that is understandable since it's a Saturday that is NOT the drop dead date.

Thats because the drop dead date is the 27th :biggrin:

http://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/Query.aspx?SiteName=fws&Entity=PRAsset&SF_PRAsset_PRAssetID_EQ=130655&XSL=PressRelease&Cache=True

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service today announced proposed hunting season lengths and bag limits for the upcoming 2012-13 late waterfowl seasons. The proposed federal frameworks include duck hunting season lengths of 60 days in both the Atlantic and Mississippi Flyways, 74 days in the Central Flyway (with an additional 23 days in the High Plains areas), and 107 days in the Pacific Flyway. The proposed frameworks also include a full season on pintails with a two bird daily bag limit nationwide, and a full season on canvasbacks with a one bird daily bag limit nationwide. The proposed late season waterfowl frameworks will appear in a mid-August edition of the Federal Register for public comment.

States select their individual seasons from within the federal frameworks that establish the earliest beginning and latest ending dates and the maximum season length and bag limits. Flyway-specific highlights of the proposed late-season frameworks are as follows:

Atlantic Flyway (Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia):
•Ducks: A hunting season is proposed of not more than 60 days between September 22, 2012, and January 27, 2013. The proposed daily bag limit is 6 and may include no more than 4 mallards (2 hens), 4 scoters, 3 wood ducks, 2 redheads, 2 hooded mergansers, 4 scaup, 1 black duck, 2 pintails, 1 canvasback, 1 mottled duck, and 1 fulvous whistling duck.
•Geese: For light geese, states will be able to select a 107-day season between October 1, 2012, and March 10, 2013, with a daily bag limit of 25 birds and no possession limit. Seasons for Canada geese would vary in length among states and areas depending on the populations of birds that occur in those areas. The daily bag limit will be 5 birds in hunt zones established for resident populations of Canada geese. In hunt zones established for migratory populations, bag limits will be 5 or fewer and vary among states and areas. For Atlantic brant, the season length may be 50 days with a daily bag limit of 2.

That is the federal framework for the AF this year. We come up four days short from the end. Could they be the best four days of the season...yes, but you can't control the weather. Like Pete said it is give and take. To get those four days you either lose them during the first split and only have a 3 day first split or lose it at the start of the second split and lose the Thanksgiving opener.

Pete we had to take a boat out of the water today. Ran across great bay in the snow...most of which was covered in soft ice. Forsythe impoundments are frozen solid without a duck in sight....except a few thousands snows. Hunting in this weather takes specialized gear to ensure you don't die. We had weather like this in dec during the 2010/11 season and actually started losing birds before jan.

I am all about late season hunting but I am just happy we have 60 day seasons, 3 zones within easy driving distance with different start and end dates, sept goose hunting, special winter goose zones, and spring snows. That affords one to spend many days in the field hunting. In the grand scheme of things I don't thing a four day shift in coastal zone would drastically alter my outlook on the season. However, that is just me talking. That is why there is a waterfowl survey this year to figure out the general consensus of what waterfowlers in the state think. That should help set future dates to best accommodate the opinions of the majority.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:04 pm

I stand corrected.
Sundays are not a shooting day in NJ, I forget that most other States allow Sunday hunting.
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby barngeatbayman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:12 pm

I wish we would get totally iced out for the last week or so if the season becasue that would mean that I had soome spectualr gunning leading up to ice out.

Better to have had great gunning and gotten iced out then having no good gunning at all, no?
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby TheWanderer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:57 pm

I would like to see the south zone end later. Not as urgent to me to add four more to coastal but I think it'd be nice.

South zone started to pick up with big ducks as the season went out and saw a bunch near the end of coastal.

If the state wanted could they make 3 splits? Early, a 2nd for thanksgiving holiday time, out in early December and run to the end?

Also. I've never asked so I don't know. Seems like south jersey has a good real population. Why don't we get an early teal season? Does that count against other states total days?

Heading out for Canadians in PA tomorrow hoping to end the season well. Good luck to anyone else headed out.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted
TheWanderer
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:02 am

That's the rub - I believe we can only have two splits because there are three state zones. What you are talking about for SZ is something like MD's season. It would be perfect for SZ since late November - early December is very slow and January would be hot.

It seems imperative, however, that all zones should be open for Thanksgiving. I guess that if you won't hunt in cold weather, you won't drive to the CZ for Thanksgiving either - you have to be able to get back home in time for the football. I would love two weeks in October and then mid-December through January for SZ.

Actually I just love complaining - It's hard to argue when you can hunt somewhere in Jersey from mid Oct. until almost the end of Jan.
papageno
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:33 pm

BarnegatBayman, I will agree with you on one thing, had the season been open it would have been a real slaughter for the birds these last few days. I was out today and it was brutal out there between the cold and the ice but the ducks were all over and flying with reckless abandon! One other hunter almost sank after launching because when he was backing his boat out of the ramp area the ice blew his drain plug out and filled his boat up before he realized it. Luckily he made it back and was able to salvage his day but when ice comes so does trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I to would like to see the season go to the last day, I would just as soon love to see the end of split seasons at least here in the CZ, but I enjoy going hunting Thanksgiving mornings. If they give me that and end the season on the last huntable allowed day then I would be thrilled, but losing 4 days this time of year doesn't bother me because I probably am one of the few who takes advantage of early goose and late winter goose and snow goose hunting. In the overall scheme of things a week here or there really doesn't matter to me.

I support your efforts but I don't think it's necessary to form a grassroots movement, if you're not a member join NJ Waterfowlers and the NJSFSC, that's were your voice will be heard the loudest. At the very least reach out to them first and discuss your concerns, they may already be actively seeking what you're looking for.
pvn6616
hunter

Postby barngeatbayman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:49 pm

I am getting lots of positive feedback offline from fellow hunters lets keep the momentum going!, make sure you speak to your friends that are not members of our online community I have what I posted in a word document and would be happy to email it to you for distribution
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby barngeatbayman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:40 am

********News Flash******************

Just got off the phone with one of my clients to discuss his support, he informed me that his 16 year old son received the survey that was sent out to 1100 hunters....what kind of survey goes out to children to influence the fate of the waterfowl seasons.....talk about moronic this kid is a nice kid but he can't vote, fight for his country or drive but someone at the state feels he is mature enough to chime in about when the waterfowling seasons shoud be set???
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby papageno » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:48 am

I started hunting all by myself with a dozen decoys, a Mossberg pump and rubber waders in my dad's car when I was 16. I had valid opinions about how a season's length affected my ability to hunt equal to anybody else's. Besides, a survey is just that - since 16 year olds hunt, they get surveyed.
papageno
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if you're mature enough to chime in...
pvn6616
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:03 pm

A 16 year old getting the Survey is almost as bad as an Out Of State, Pennsyltard getting the Survey! :lol3:

But that's what surveys do, give a cross section of many different hunters. The only bad surveys are the ones that don't get filled out and mailed back in.
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby canderso » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:24 pm

I just got the survey in the mail Friday. OR should I say, my 11y.o. son got the survey. He has been hunting the past two years and walking in the woods with me for 3 years prior to that. I am sure we will discuss his answers first. But it is HIS name on the form.

I think it gives me a great teaching opportunity and also an opportunity to let him know his opinion matters.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:36 pm

anyone complaining about nj should go try to hunt out of state. We are very fortunate and if you cant kill birds as the seasons are now, your not trying hard enough.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Next

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting