Out of state hunters at Bayou today!

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

Out of state hunters at Bayou today!

Postby Boom-Boom » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:38 am

:beer:
Last edited by Boom-Boom on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom-Boom
hunter

Re: Out of state hunters at Bayou today!

Postby PC76 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:44 pm

Not sure why everyone wants to give bayou meto it's bad name I have hunted it 4 times and they have all been good experiences. I am sure their are those bad apples but every place seems to have em.
PC76
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:36 pm

*****Edited*****
Last edited by aunt betty on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Damnit Man don't put it in writing, or all of the negative post will have been in vain!!!!

Damage control:

Boat races-- BAD

Fights over favorite holes-- ALL the time

Aggressive locals --HELL YEH!

I sure hope this post was in time can't have anyone getting any ideas about making plans to hunt there
next year
:welcome:
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 am

aunt betty wrote:
PC76 wrote:Not sure why everyone wants to give bayou meto it's bad name I have hunted it 4 times and they have all been good experiences. I am sure their are those bad apples but every place seems to have em.
If you paint it as ugly and horrible on-line. Maybe less people would come.
Kind of like saying there ain't any fish in the lake we just pulled our boat out of. "Don't look in the live-well". :yes:
Bayou Meto is terrible. :wink:

Betty, I'd suggest that you move to Arkansas or keep those comments to yourself. Remember, this is our house. You're a guest here.

I've hunted the metro quite a bit, and have had really good experiences. I've had some really bad ones as well. You'll note that Betty don't do most his hunting at the Metro while he's visiting our state. If it were the magical home for rainbows and unicorns that he'd have you believe that it is, he'd spend more time there whilst down here.

Why OOS'ers get off on trying to run WMA's in the ground, I'll never know.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Slash LaReux » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Thank God a man with a can of gasoline, quick dump it on the fire while I fan the flames.....
As Eddie Murphy would say "now that's a fire" I just hope the dripping sarcasm doesn't put it out!
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Nah. Betty and I go way back. Metro sux and he knows it. There just ain't no sense in pissing in the good old boys' Cheerios, that's all.
Point being, if you're gonna bash Arkansas locals on an Arkansas forum, you should be one of em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cannon
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:35 pm

But on occasion that incredible sucking vortex (the metro) does manage to siphon off some of the Mississippi flyways ducks. Not every day, not every year, but just often enough to keep some of us interested. As far as the bashing goes ya kinda got to like it when things get "sporting"......
Last edited by Slash LaReux on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:49 am

*****Edited*****
Last edited by aunt betty on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:11 pm

aunt betty wrote:Just having a lil fun and telling it the way I see it. Not bashing. The truth hurts sometimes.

I knew where you stood with it, and I wasn't trying to be pushy. It's just that OOS'ers on this sub-forum seem to like to make a habit of accusing the locals of not wanting them down here shooting "our ducks." Fact is, that ain't the issue, and it never has been. Unfortunately, if you're an OOS'er and/or didn't live here 20 or 30 years ago, you simply don't have a frame of reference.

30 years ago, I could walk out into the Bayou, as a resident of the Natural State, and have my self a good time, whether there were or weren't ducks in the area. I didn't get molested, I didn't have to race to a hole, and I didn't have to worry about being followed in by some shmuck with a GPS. I did the work, I found the spots I wanted to hunt, and I enjoyed them, away from the throngs of idiots.

You simply can't do that anymore. On the rare occasion when I travel to public lands nowadays and actually allow someone to go with me, I make them leave their cell phones and any other electronic devices at the truck, lay in the bottom of the boat, and cover their heads for the trip in and out. It's not because I don't want them to kill ducks. It's because I would love to be able to find a decent spot to hunt the next time I want to go without walking into a spot and finding that guest and 7 of his buddies in it when I get there. Now, given that I'm the guy that took the time to scout and find the spot, I don't think that being irate with someone who'd do such a thing to be that unreasonable. Hold on, I'm getting to a point . . .

With all the above in mind, old locals (like myself) can remember a time when every WMA wasn't a retarded free-for-all. We can remember a time when we actually did the work, without the aid of a computer or satellite system, and found ways to hunt in our backyard. We found the holes on Big Lake without the AGFC giving us a map to 'em. Heck, we went so far as to build blinds in those holes. People were kind and courteous, and there wasn't a knock-down, drag-out at the launch ramp every morning. It didn't matter whose boat was fastest and it certainly didn't have anything to do with an unwillingness to share "our ducks." It was about being able to enjoy rural recreation without the crowded crap associated with urban living. That fond memory leaves a bit of bitterness when you see the way things are on public lands today, and folks from out of state getting on public forums ranting about what a paradise it is down here leaves a bit of a sour taste in our mouths, because it magnifies the problem. Sure, every WMA in Illinois and South Carolina are probably the same way. However, the fact that it's crappy in your neck of the woods doesn't mean we like the idea of it being that way down here.

I've had some phenomenal harvest days on public land, and I probably still would if I could tolerate hunting 'em. Thing is, it ain't ONLY about the ducks. I love to kill ducks, but I love duck hunting even more. When going duck hunting becomes a high-stress, confrontational pasttime, it loses it's utility in my book.

Let's face it: you've personally told me that the inhabitants of your state have RUINED any opportunity for great public duck hunting up there. Why would someone like yourself want to take a stab at making this state the same way? If it's a "misery loves company" mentality, I can somewhat understand. On the other hand, I get the impression that you actually like hunting down here. Be that the case, I can't imagine why you'd want to make a mediocre situation into a bad one by taunting the locals to complain to congressmen until there's a quota or OOS'ers are forced to pay a price for admission that is prohibitively high.

Now, you know me well enough to know that I'm a straight-shooter and I mean exactly what I say, so consider this: With rare exceptions, I don't hunt public land anymore. That's because it tends to suck about 80% of the time, and by "suck" I mean that it's an over-crowded free-for-all, and any possibility of a good time is almost certain to be pissed on by some band of idiots that just can't keep to themselves. In the meantime, you haven't hunted public land too much over the last couple of seasons either, despite having to put up with some pretty rude crap to keep in the good graces of the proprietors. You've told me that the reason you've put up with that was because the private hunting was so much better, which is a fact that I can attest to. The point is, there was a day not so long ago that I did more than 50% of my hunting on public ground, even though I owned the same land back then that I own now. That's because, back then, the public hunting was just as good as the private hunting has ever been. Clearly, things have changed. My reason for cautioning you was that some of the crap you've been pulling on this forum is exactly the sort of crap that makes that situation worse. I can't imagine why someone who enjoys hunting down here would want to do that.

Just my $.02.
cannon
hunter

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 am

More like your $20 Cannon, but very well said.
UofAduckman1987
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:53 am

UofAduckman1987 wrote:More like your $20 Cannon, but very well said.

Can't help it. I've been getting paid by the word for the last 15 years. It's a bad habit.

cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:17 pm

cannon wrote:
UofAduckman1987 wrote:More like your $20 Cannon, but very well said.

Can't help it. I've been getting paid by the word for the last 15 years. It's a bad habit.

It needed to be said.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:21 pm

One guy, one boat, one gun, and one dog taking up an arkansas timber hole is gunna get me killed one day.
They will name it "the crazy betty hole". I will be famous!
Bahahaha.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Slash LaReux » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Who knows it might turn out to be a good hole, once the crime scene tape bio degrades an that troublesome chalk outline washes off the log!
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby Olreedboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:34 am

You've got to take the good with the bad. It comes to respect or no respect at all! I remember leaving the house super early to be in the boat line at Long Pond to get to the spot I liked the most, only to find at around shooting hours people were throwing decoys 100 yards from me! I was courteous enough to ask them to hunt with me and they said nah we're good. It is very frustrationg at times, but I now get up much later and find where people are mostly concentrated and back about 400-500 yards off of them atleast. All in all Bayou Meto is still my favorite place to hunt!
Olreedboy
Newb

Postby greenster » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Olreedboy wrote:It is very frustrationg at times, but I now get up much later and find where people are mostly concentrated and back about 400-500 yards off of them

Oh your one of those.... :fingerpt: Way to bring back a old topic though.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Olreedboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Can you elaborate on " you're one of those" ?
Olreedboy
Newb

Postby Slash LaReux » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:17 pm

I wish their where more "of those" around ....ones who listen to where people are then backs of 1/4 mile (400-500 yards) sure would make for a more enjoyable outing.
Last edited by Slash LaReux on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I am one of those...
I tend to go AWAY from all the shooting. Safer.
Have not had the nerve to even cross that foot bridge...yet.
Gubment Cypress look out...
Betty
Is
Coming.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Yes, that bridge...
Attachments
1379711529318.jpg
aunt betty
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:01 pm

aunt betty wrote:Yes, that bridge...

Thanks betty I didn't know they allow camping there.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Edge » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:29 pm

cannon wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Just having a lil fun and telling it the way I see it. Not bashing. The truth hurts sometimes.

I knew where you stood with it, and I wasn't trying to be pushy. It's just that OOS'ers on this sub-forum seem to like to make a habit of accusing the locals of not wanting them down here shooting "our ducks." Fact is, that ain't the issue, and it never has been. Unfortunately, if you're an OOS'er and/or didn't live here 20 or 30 years ago, you simply don't have a frame of reference.

30 years ago, I could walk out into the Bayou, as a resident of the Natural State, and have my self a good time, whether there were or weren't ducks in the area. I didn't get molested, I didn't have to race to a hole, and I didn't have to worry about being followed in by some shmuck with a GPS. I did the work, I found the spots I wanted to hunt, and I enjoyed them, away from the throngs of idiots.

You simply can't do that anymore. On the rare occasion when I travel to public lands nowadays and actually allow someone to go with me, I make them leave their cell phones and any other electronic devices at the truck, lay in the bottom of the boat, and cover their heads for the trip in and out. It's not because I don't want them to kill ducks. It's because I would love to be able to find a decent spot to hunt the next time I want to go without walking into a spot and finding that guest and 7 of his buddies in it when I get there. Now, given that I'm the guy that took the time to scout and find the spot, I don't think that being irate with someone who'd do such a thing to be that unreasonable. Hold on, I'm getting to a point . . .

With all the above in mind, old locals (like myself) can remember a time when every WMA wasn't a retarded free-for-all. We can remember a time when we actually did the work, without the aid of a computer or satellite system, and found ways to hunt in our backyard. We found the holes on Big Lake without the AGFC giving us a map to 'em. Heck, we went so far as to build blinds in those holes. People were kind and courteous, and there wasn't a knock-down, drag-out at the launch ramp every morning. It didn't matter whose boat was fastest and it certainly didn't have anything to do with an unwillingness to share "our ducks." It was about being able to enjoy rural recreation without the crowded crap associated with urban living. That fond memory leaves a bit of bitterness when you see the way things are on public lands today, and folks from out of state getting on public forums ranting about what a paradise it is down here leaves a bit of a sour taste in our mouths, because it magnifies the problem. Sure, every WMA in Illinois and South Carolina are probably the same way. However, the fact that it's crappy in your neck of the woods doesn't mean we like the idea of it being that way down here.

I've had some phenomenal harvest days on public land, and I probably still would if I could tolerate hunting 'em. Thing is, it ain't ONLY about the ducks. I love to kill ducks, but I love duck hunting even more. When going duck hunting becomes a high-stress, confrontational pasttime, it loses it's utility in my book.

Let's face it: you've personally told me that the inhabitants of your state have RUINED any opportunity for great public duck hunting up there. Why would someone like yourself want to take a stab at making this state the same way? If it's a "misery loves company" mentality, I can somewhat understand. On the other hand, I get the impression that you actually like hunting down here. Be that the case, I can't imagine why you'd want to make a mediocre situation into a bad one by taunting the locals to complain to congressmen until there's a quota or OOS'ers are forced to pay a price for admission that is prohibitively high.

Now, you know me well enough to know that I'm a straight-shooter and I mean exactly what I say, so consider this: With rare exceptions, I don't hunt public land anymore. That's because it tends to suck about 80% of the time, and by "suck" I mean that it's an over-crowded free-for-all, and any possibility of a good time is almost certain to be pissed on by some band of idiots that just can't keep to themselves. In the meantime, you haven't hunted public land too much over the last couple of seasons either, despite having to put up with some pretty rude crap to keep in the good graces of the proprietors. You've told me that the reason you've put up with that was because the private hunting was so much better, which is a fact that I can attest to. The point is, there was a day not so long ago that I did more than 50% of my hunting on public ground, even though I owned the same land back then that I own now. That's because, back then, the public hunting was just as good as the private hunting has ever been. Clearly, things have changed. My reason for cautioning you was that some of the crap you've been pulling on this forum is exactly the sort of crap that makes that situation worse. I can't imagine why someone who enjoys hunting down here would want to do that.

Just my $.02.

I am kinda the same way about fishing over here, especialy spearfishing. We find our dive sights while fishing off shore, if we have a good strike and the bottom looks good, we will roll over the side and have a look. If it is full of lobster and fish we will hunt it. If you take to many people back to that reef, they will whipe out every lobster and ruin it for years. We now have folks from Florida coming up here because we don't have the preasure they do and our lobster are bigger, much bigger. I was the same way about shrimping in Bulls Bay, for one thing the bay is shallow, and dangerouse in a NE wind, so we kept it a gaurded secret. Now we have people on Charleston Fishing posting maps and gps numbers on the internet. Telling friends is one thing, posting it for the world to see is just stupid. Last night the bay looked like a giant game of pick up sticks, there were poles everywhere. It was a cluster. So now I will never go back on the weekend. Oh and about AR, I lease a farm and hunt WMAs in the morning. We just have to many duck hunters here in SC.I have met a bunch of very good folks over the last twenty years or so, some of em come over here and stay with me and fish, some come just to see Charleston. Just like any other state, we have our share of people that realy shouldn't be hunting, hell some of shouldn't own firearms.
Edge
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks EDGE!...

A public hunter should...

1. DO HIS/HER OWN WORK! Not impede on other people, or go shot chasing.
2. Keep his/her Favorite spots close to the chest
3. Be courteous 99.7% of the time.
4. Not give area specific detail's out online.

There is a reason why only 3-4 people here know where I hunt, There is only 1 other person who knows SPECIFICALLY the areas I like to hunt and the secrets to getting there. For those Who DO know where I hunt (Local people) I never share details about day-to-day hunts until season is over. The best places are the one's others can not figure out how to get to, or can not get to easy. Public land Key # 7 is getting away.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Rice and Duck Capitol of the World. Whose idea was that?
aunt betty
hunter

Next

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting