Questions About Clothing

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Questions About Clothing

Postby kennycannon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Hey Guys. I'm from LI, NY and usually hunt in 30 to 40 degree weather. Some days get down into the 20's and teens but it's rare.

I've been hunting for 18 seasons now and have always just layered like 3 pairs of sweat pants and a few sweat shirts under my parka and waders.

For next season, I'm looking for a better way to dress. I'd like to have maybe 2 layers that I can wear under my waders and parka and stay warm. Price is not an issue but I'd prefer the best possible solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I was thinking of going with something like these...

Cabelas Waderwise wader liners

Under Armour Sky Sweepers

Then for a base layer

X-Tek cold weather solutions Base Layer from cabelas (top)

Under Armour Evo Compression Heatgear from cabelas (bottom)
kennycannon
hunter

Re: Questions About Clothing

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Sounds like you're on the right track. Here in NM the temperatures can vary from 60* in the early season to single digits in late December and January. Late in the year I wear underarmor cold gear bottoms and cabela's waderwise wader pants under my waders. Over my core I wear an underarmor cold gear top and a heavy chamois shirt underneath my insulated Drake 3 in 1 jacket. I got hooked on underarmor back when I was playing baseball in highschool 10+ years ago, but if I were to get new stuff I don't know that I would spend the money for the UA name.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby mudpack » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:11 pm

You didn't say what your previous layers were made of, so I'll say this:
If you want to upgrade your clothing, throw away all the cotton sweatpants, sweatshirts, underwear, teeshirts, etc. and replace
them with fleece and Thermax. Modern synthetics will keep you much drier and warmer than will cotton. Even wool is better than cotton, but not as good as the synthetics.
NOTE: you don't have to spring for the high-dollar stuff, either. All the outdoor outfitters sell reasonably-priced garments in fleece and Thermax. UA and its ilk is not required to keep warm

I use the fleece/Thermax layers and I hunt in below zero temps occasionally, temps in the teens frequently.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:16 am

I use Under armor 2.0 base layers Drake fleece lined pants on the bottom. UA 2.0, natural gear fleece hoody, and Cabela's dri-fowl wader parka up top with a neck gatier and GHG wind stop hat. and of course Cabela's 5mm 800g boot waders. I stay warm when its down in the mid 20's no problem.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Fordsuper » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:04 am

Merino Wool base layers. I'd steer clear of UA base layers. Waste of money. Just my opinion.
Fordsuper
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum