My off-season project...Barnegat Bay

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

My off-season project...Barnegat Bay

Postby O2Fsh » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 am

Just bought her today and plan to use her next season. Will refurbish the port bow (slight rot) and replace the transom to accept a small outboard. Anyone have need for the sail pattern or any other tracings/measurements before I begin?

I welcome constructive ideas or suggestions.

Thanks!

O2fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Re: My off-season project...Barnegat Bay

Postby Versatilehunt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Cool boat! Does she float? My Dad's a big sail guy, has a J35, but I'll ask him about refurbishing. Plus he was chemist for Uniroyal and was involed in sealing materials, industrial stuff. I don't know much about refurbishing boats, You? I used to sail wooden snipes when I was a kid and that why i'll ask him about it. I'm sure you can use any suggestions.

Versatile
Last edited by Versatilehunt on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Versatilehunt
hunter

Postby Versatilehunt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Looking at this, I would put a flat floor in there and try to open the back more if you plan to use a motor (maybe a harley mud motor, LOL) All kidding aside I would think she is not designed to carry more weight than a couple of people and if you plan on that plus gear and a motor one would say you would want to make it more bouyant. How you do that i,m not sure. Something I would think about.
Versatilehunt
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:25 pm

There's quite a few guys on the New York forum that made these, if you need input pm Tool. You're probably going to need A B foam and some 3/8 ply with exterior/ marine glue, as well as some glass strips and resin if you glass the boat which you should. I thought about making one myself but they are HEAVY....
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby vellar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Pretty sure i was lookin at that on craigslist the other day. I would really like to build one thus summer, tryin to track down a nice "cheap" sunfish to convert.
If you need any ideas a bunch of guys over on "duckboats.net" have them.
Keep us posted on any progress with it.
vellar
Newb

Postby O2Fsh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:48 am

Vellar,

It is off of Craigslist. I'm off to pick her up next weekend.

CTDEATH/Tool,

Could you explain why you think I should glass over this boat? I am trying to keep her as light as possible. Maintenance is not an issue, I can touch up and re-paint/coat as necessary from season to season.

Other than weight, are their cons to fiberglass-ing her?

Thanks for your ideas and questions...

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:16 am

It is going to be heavy enough that you will want a trailer so that being the case I would glass it and add plenty of 2 part foam for safety. Cool project looking forward to seeing pics of it being done
Tanner01
hunter

Postby JimG » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:17 pm

3/8" ply????? BLASPHEMY.....

Mike, you are on the wrong website for duck boat building questions..... www.duckboats.net is where you want to ask.

Sailing sneak are cool.... one of the DHBP (duck hunters boat page...the above website) built one.

I believe that if you DON'T glass it, proper procedure is to put it into SALT WATER for a period of time before the season which swells the wood and seals the joints.

Another resource is the boat shop at Mystic Aquarium and I think there is a museum in Ocean City MD as well...
No cyber scouting allowed
JimG
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:08 am

Thanks Jim! I am a member over there. However, I was asking for ideas, not so much for instructions as to how to refurbish the boat, but more for ideas other hunters have regarding what I should/could include. I am not refinishing this boat to original specs or for her to wind up in a museum.

I fact, I am pretty sure the plans I have so far BB folk's would consider blasphemous. For example: I am not the least bit interested in the sailing portion, and have NO plans to include the mast/sails at all. Further, I am seriously considering extending the cockpit aft a bit more so I can more easily operate the outboard without an extension pole and regain a bit more storage in the forward portion of the cockpit for decoys and Copper.

First and foremost, I plan on replacing the slight rot in the bow, redesign the stern (double it up and make it outboard ready), bridge the gaps in the hull and put in a flat floor. I have considered glassing the hull from gunnel to gunnel and NOT up and over the deck. Personally, I prefer the look and design of wood on the deck and can avoid the excess weight.

I'm still very open to suggestions...

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Man am I excited to pick her up tomorrow....

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Well, I got her home. She is in far worse shape than the pictures let on. I'm going to do some major work on her and will DEFINITELY have to glass her over. Beginning pictures to follow soon. Then the planning phase.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:22 pm

well, i wouldnt profess to being any kind of authority on wooden boats. But i did have a buddy, have a Steam Launch hand built up in Maine at the Apprentice Boat Shop in Rockland . the planks need to be caulked or stuff with packing..to seal.

It SEEMS to me you might have a rare antique sailing sneak boat.... which could have substantial collector appeal...if you glass it over..it is ruined for that appeal.

and if you do glass it over, make sure you do it over clean un rotten wood. Glassing makes the boat a little more maintenance free....it will be more rugged.. and if you go that route certainly put in some flotation foam!!

most likely you will need to make an angled transom bracket....because the back looks verticle.

for sure if you are going to put an outboard on it, Id build up some type of coaming....to keep most of the waves from rolling into the boat...and even a spray dodger, is a good idea....easily made.

i would guess there is a slot in the hull for a keel??

good luck

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Tool (Others),

I in no way want to destroy a 'rare' or 'desirable' BBSB. Anyone know somebody that may wish to look at this before I "ruin" it.

The boat does seem to appear to have some remnants of a small spot of fiberglass. It truly does appear to need a good caulking and a few spots are rotten where the guy had it stored with the bow on the ground. Otherwise, seems in decent shape.

PM me with some contacts for authorities on BBSB. I'm STILL waiting on the guys at DUCKBOATS.net to approve my membership so I can post there.

Plus, I'd like to see this discussion continue.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:21 pm

I Posted the pictures of the work so far in the Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds section if anyone is interested in following further.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:32 am

I thought I'd post some of the progress I've made so far...LOTS!!!!

Rotten bow

Rebuilt bow from the side

From above, needs a little work on the nose..

Another view from above

Repaired ribs. Missing space is where the dagger box was.

Brand new knees port,

and starboard.

New cedar cockpit liner port,

and starboard.

Replaced the original forward cockpit liner.

The original after cockpit liner was utilized as well. I kept both of them rough as to reveal the heritage and age. You can also see the original brass fittings for the cover to fit into.

Completed cockpit from forward...

and after.

Fitting the original cover to assure it still fits after the refurb work. The cover needs A LOT of work as well.

Blue tape is the spot on the forward liner board where I'll put the brass plate I'm having made dedicating this boat to my son. I'm considering putting it on the aft cockpit liner.

I welcome your comments and/or advice. Or, if you have a few cedar boards laying around... a donation. :-)

Or, swing by for a tour and a beer.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
O2Fsh
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting