Public Land

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Public Land

Postby TimberMan34 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 am

It is just me or has anyone else experienced more amateurs duck hunting than ever before?
I saw it right off, didnt put enough dirt down
TimberMan34
hunter

Re: Public Land

Postby lsu_engr » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 am

Can't become an experienced duck hunter if you don't start out as a beginner.
lsu_engr
hunter

Postby takemking » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:06 am

Haven't noticed many but they tend to follow the crowds if you know what I mean. I rarely have anyone hunting within a mile of me, but I sweat and paddle to get where I hunt. Some places you just can't get away from other hunters. Thankfully the marsh usually has that advantage.
A duck hunter must follow hunters of the oldest kind in North America. He must live his life a nomad, following the flock wherever it might lead. Through flooded timber, fields or marsh, he does what he must to find success.
takemking
hunter

Postby AaronR » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:41 am

Yep. More black hoodies, facepaint, beards, barrel stickers, and guys with calls who dont know how to use them!
AaronR
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:59 am

lsu_engr wrote:Can't become an experienced duck hunter if you don't start out as a beginner.

This is true, but I think he's referring more to his obeservation of the NUMBER of new people duck hunting this year. I would imagine that on public hunting areas, this increase would be a bit of an inconvenience.
Last edited by D Comeaux on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby AaronR » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 am

D Comeaux wrote:
lsu_engr wrote:Can't become an experienced duck hunter if you don't start out as a beginner.

This is true, but I think he's referring more to his obeservation of the NUMBER of new people duck hunting this year. I would imagine that on public hunting areas, this increase would be a bit on an inconvenience.

This year was the worst I have ever seen. Yea its good that the sport is getting new hunters. That means more money toward conservation programs and what not. We problem is that they have no respect for the sport or other hunters. Leaving trash, shooting non-waterfowl birds, and just being plain ignorant. I actually had 2 experiences with high school age kids if I had to guess that blew my mind.

1.) One group came in about 15min after LST and turned their motor off about 150-200yrds from us but they could not see us. Wind blowing towards us we heard "man do you know where we are going? yea we are going towards the shooting." we had just shot as they pulled up.

2.) A group walked in about 200yrds from us, no wind so we could hear every word they said. Cussing each other and hollering and carrying on. They could not see us but continued to come closer. Eventually their converstation went like this: "I wonder how far we are from those guys? who cares im gona sky blast everything that comes close so they better not let anything circle this way!"

:no: :no: :no: :no:
AaronR
hunter

Postby TimberMan34 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 am

Yes. I was talking about the numbers. Not trying to hate on the beginners because everyone started out like that. I am just referring to the guys hail calling at every duck and having no respect for the other hunters. I am sure Duck Dynasty had a lot to do with it
I saw it right off, didnt put enough dirt down
TimberMan34
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 am

Way more, I couldn't begin to tell you many black hoodies, over painted faces, big beards, dc calls and storm front decoys I saw this year.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:24 pm

I also think that part of it is there isn't any experienced duck hunter with these new hunters, showing them the ropes. All it is, is 2 or 3 or more high school age kids, all hopped up on duck dynasty and daddy's money, doing what they can for a few more facebook pics. I'm not saying ALL high school age hunters are like this, but you can definitley tell a difference between someone who has had someone teach them the basics vs. this new breed. The sad thing is alot of it, more or less, is common sense. Such as setting up 200 yards away from someone......
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting