North Louisiana

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

North Louisiana

Postby TimberMan34 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Did anyone notice the decrease in Gadwall and GWT this hunting season. We usually kill a lot of gadwalls and some GWT but my numbers were a lot lower from last season. I didnt see near as many Gadwall as past few seasons. But I did kill quite a few more mallards. Anyone know why this might be or have experienced the same thing.
I saw it right off, didnt put enough dirt down
TimberMan34
hunter

Re: North Louisiana

Postby AaronR » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:17 pm

They all stayed in ark.
AaronR
hunter

Postby T-TOP » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:41 pm

This year they were about the same down here in cameron parish, we kill more gadwall than anything though(where we hunt that is). We did have an increase in mallards. That coming from probably 4 guys i talk to a lot about how they did. We all hunt in different parts of the parish.
T-TOP
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:16 pm

AaronR wrote:They all stayed in ark.

We killed 150+ GWT during the first split near Alexandria...easily the high light of our season until the last three days when the Gadwall came in large groups and many of which never left... :thumbsup:
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 pm

T-TOP wrote:This year they were about the same down here in cameron parish, we kill more gadwall than anything though(where we hunt that is). We did have an increase in mallards. That coming from probably 4 guys i talk to a lot about how they did. We all hunt in different parts of the parish.

Here in our NE corner of Cameron Parish, my parties shot but 25 greenwings this first split, as compared to 113 last year's first split, which was more of our norm. Did show up in force later in the second, when we shot 204. But that low count the first split made this the first year mallards bumped them from our regular season top spot.

Saw much the same with gray numbers being way lower than normal the first split and about par the second.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 pm

We spanked the gray's in NW LA, yet never saw a mallard when we were hunting. :huh:
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby mattstin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Wore the gadwalls out in Bossier Parish this year, showed up a little late though.
mattstin
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 am

In nwla, teal numbers were down until the second split. Gadwalls were stronger than they've been the last 2 seasons.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 am

I guess all the GWT and Gads just didnt concentrate where we hunted and searched for bigger water. I dont know, it was strange.
AaronR
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:46 am

Overall duck numbers were way down for us but as a percentage gadwalls were way up.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 am

AaronR wrote:I guess all the GWT and Gads just didnt concentrate where we hunted and searched for bigger water. I dont know, it was strange.

Nothing could be further from the truth from our perspective...especially where the GWT were concerned...since you have only been hunting since 2003 you will soon learn if you have not already that every year is different in some form or fashion...it's those that adapt the best that kill the most...for me personally I hunt mostly the same areas year in and year out and accept that some years will be better than others...I was not always that way but I have come to realize it nonetheless...
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:49 pm

MeanGreen wrote:
AaronR wrote:I guess all the GWT and Gads just didnt concentrate where we hunted and searched for bigger water. I dont know, it was strange.

Nothing could be further from the truth from our perspective...especially where the GWT were concerned...since you have only been hunting since 2003 you will soon learn if you have not already that every year is different in some form or fashion...it's those that adapt the best that kill the most...for me personally I hunt mostly the same areas year in and year out and accept that some years will be better than others...I was not always that way but I have come to realize it nonetheless...

Just because I said we did not kill many Gads or GWT doesnt we didnt kill ducks. We actually killed MORE ducks total and MORE mallards than ever in my life. SO I would say that I have adapted to the conditions in our area just fine.

As for me I do hunt a lot of the same places year after year and my observation this year was that we saw and killed extremely LESS GWT and gads and MORE mallards. I do know that some years will be better than other and for me this year was way better. You will also notice other commenting on the lack of GWT all season until the last few weeks. It all depends on where YOU hunt.

I said I started duck hunting hard around that time, I have duck hunted nearly every year of my life since i was about 6 so I have been out there and seen the good and the bad. I have hunted everything from Ark flooded timber to Catahoula Lake to rice fields in the delta. The reason I said 03 was because I know I had a truck and boat at that time for the first time and was able to go on my own.
AaronR
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:50 pm

AaronR wrote:
MeanGreen wrote:

Just because I said we did not kill many Gads or GWT doesnt we didnt kill ducks. We actually killed MORE ducks total and MORE mallards than ever in my life. SO I would say that I have adapted to the conditions in our area just fine.

As for me I do hunt a lot of the same places year after year and my observation this year was that we saw and killed extremely LESS GWT and gads and MORE mallards. I do know that some years will be better than other and for me this year was way better. You will also notice other commenting on the lack of GWT all season until the last few weeks. It all depends on where YOU hunt.

I said I started duck hunting hard around that time, I have duck hunted nearly every year of my life since i was about 6 so I have been out there and seen the good and the bad. I have hunted everything from Ark flooded timber to Catahoula Lake to rice fields in the delta. The reason I said 03 was because I know I had a truck and boat at that time for the first time and was able to go on my own.

Gotcha...I had a terrible season except for the GWT and Gadwall I mentioned previously and I have been hunting on my own as you put it for 35 years!
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 pm

Well next year don't be afraid to let a young buck take ya out and teach the old dog new tricks! Hunting as changed so much. Ain't like the old days where you could just pop up the ol boat blind, throw out a dozen decoys and whack em.
AaronR
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:59 am

Aaron if that's an invitation I just might take you up on it. Nothing wrong with an old dog learning new tricks.;... :biggrin:
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 am

I have noticed a lot of the other DHC members puting together hunts with members. There is enough of us from La we should get one together for next year. We may argue and what not on here at times, but hey, will make for good beer drinking around the fire talk!
AaronR
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:43 am

AaronR wrote:I have noticed a lot of the other DHC members puting together hunts with members. There is enough of us from La we should get one together for next year. We may argue and what not on here at times, but hey, will make for good beer drinking around the fire talk!

Come on now don't just tell me about the new tricks show me...I have met some great guys from the different sites I visit and hunt regularly with a couple of them...if you got room and ducks I'm in and I'll do the same... :beer:
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:53 am

MeanGreen wrote:
AaronR wrote:I have noticed a lot of the other DHC members puting together hunts with members. There is enough of us from La we should get one together for next year. We may argue and what not on here at times, but hey, will make for good beer drinking around the fire talk!

Come on now don't just tell me about the new tricks show me...I have met some great guys from the different sites I visit and hunt regularly with a couple of them...if you got room and ducks I'm in and I'll do the same... :beer:

See what we cant make happen next season, hell you might kill to many if I reveal all the secrets! :lol3:

First off though, you got have a clever barrel sticker to kill ducks period!
AaronR
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:21 pm

AaronR wrote:
MeanGreen wrote:

See what we cant make happen next season, hell you might kill to many if I reveal all the secrets! :lol3:

:no: We should get something together. I have some good spots on my land and some pretty good public spots.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:34 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
AaronR wrote:
MeanGreen wrote:

:no: We should get something together. I have some good spots on my land and some pretty good public spots.

Im always down to hunt somewhere different.
AaronR
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm

AaronR wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
AaronR wrote:
MeanGreen wrote:

Im always down to hunt somewhere different.

Keep in touch, when it gets closer to time we'll set something up.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:10 pm

I like this idea... :clapping: :clapping:
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby mattstin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:32 am

New around here, bur Im in for a DHC hunt. Rebel, when the weather clears up a little holler at me and Ill help you clean up, brush up, scout, etc.
mattstin
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:02 pm

mattstin wrote:New around here, bur Im in for a DHC hunt. Rebel, when the weather clears up a little holler at me and Ill help you clean up, brush up, scout, etc.

When I get back in town, I've read got a few new spots needing a blind if you're in?
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby mattstin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 pm

10/4
mattstin
hunter

Next

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting