Band Count?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Band Count?

Postby thebigh20 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 pm

How many bands did y'all get this season? I killed a decent number of birds this season without getting a single band, not a big deal, but I just saw a post from a guy from where I used to live, and he and his hunting buddy got 25 duck bands this season! Saw a picture where they killed 6 banded ducks in one hunt! This is in a small valley with a marsh where lots of ducks are banded. What has been your experience? Are there many ducks banded in the Treasure Valley? Maybe a dumb question, I just don't know the answer. Also, are there opportunities to volunteer to band waterfowl in the area? Thanks for the feedback!
thebigh20
hunter

Re: Band Count?

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Got a band down in southern Oregon on the second day of opening weekend. No bands for me hunting Idaho this year.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby swanpig » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 pm

My brother shot a band on a honker while we were hunting in Montana this year. There werent any numbers or letters on the white plastic band either.
Gettin er done, one duck at a time!
swanpig
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:30 am

Shot a couple of birds this year and no bands. Although I am known for missing seeing them altogether.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 am

I did pretty fair this season though I did not start until November but no bands. For the years I hunted in Louisiana starting back in the 60's and for all the ducks and geese we killed through the years I think I only had 2 or 3 bands total. Of course nowadays there are certainly more banding being done but to hear of 6 banded ducks on one hunt is pretty amazing.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Shot the 1st band of my life last year. ended up shooting 2. This year I added 1 more to the list.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:55 am

26 years of duck hunting and the only band to show for it was a Racing Pigeon I shot this year on opening day of dove season. Ha! First shot of the year by the way. Felt pretty bad about that, but hey, who they heck lets out their racing pigeon during dove season! I'm not going to lie, that thing was pretty fast!
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 pm

Idahoryden wrote:26 years of duck hunting and the only band to show for it was a Racing Pigeon I shot this year on opening day of dove season. Ha! First shot of the year by the way. Felt pretty bad about that, but hey, who they heck lets out their racing pigeon during dove season! I'm not going to lie, that thing was pretty fast!

Did you call it in to the owner? :)
waveslider
hunter

Postby thebigh20 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 pm

Idahoryden wrote:26 years of duck hunting and the only band to show for it was a Racing Pigeon I shot this year on opening day of dove season. Ha! First shot of the year by the way. Felt pretty bad about that, but hey, who they heck lets out their racing pigeon during dove season! I'm not going to lie, that thing was pretty fast!

That's awesome! I shot my very first and second snow goose with one shot last year and sure enough one of them was banded. 12 years old from NW terroritories if I remember correctly. Notice how nasty the one foot is! It was infected and swollen... I did that bird a favor!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
thebigh20
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:17 am

Wow, its always nice when you can take one out of misery. Do you think that was from the band? It didn't quite look like it but hard to tell.

And did you really shoot them in a field from a layout blind with no stubble on it? Man I must be wasting my time....

Still love the pontoon boat....
waveslider
hunter

Postby thebigh20 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Not sure the band has anything to do with it, but it is interesting that the injury was on the banded leg. I thought the same thing about no stubble in my blind when I posted the picture. I usually stubble up my blind really well. This was from last year so I don't really remember if I had pulled stuff out before I took the picture or if I just threw some corn stalks on top of me after I got in the blind. This was a quick, shot in the dark field hunt on my families property. I had turned my blind around, with the wind in my face to watch a huge group of ducks working a different field and was chalking it up as a scouting trip with lots of decoys around me. I heard a honk or whatever snow geese do behind me, I turned my head to look and sure enough these two snow geese were cupped and locked... I spun around around and shot once and they both dropped! I had my ( bought for my wife, but she adopted me instead) Jack Russell Annie with me and she was running around the decoys when they came in. Maybe they thought she was a snow goose :smile:

Annie was on them the second they hit the ground!

I need to find a video of Annie pulling a duck out of the river and post it here...
thebigh20
hunter

Postby thebigh20 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:11 am

Can you tell I want to be hunting right now? :crying:
The snow goose foot reminded me of this huge Tom my buddy shot with his bow a few years back. It had multiple beards and the total length was 19inches. But what really stood out were his feet... Talk about rheumatoid arthritis! And I really need to take a decent camera with me... Picture quality is horrible!

Also below is a picture of my 13 lbs Jack Russell with a drake mallard!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
thebigh20
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:15 pm

I got one this year bringing my total to 3 bands in the last 6 years.
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Idahoryden wrote:
26 years of duck hunting and the only band to show for it was a Racing Pigeon I shot this year on opening day of dove season. Ha! First shot of the year by the way. Felt pretty bad about that, but hey, who they heck lets out their racing pigeon during dove season! I'm not going to lie, that thing was pretty fast!

Did you call it in to the owner? :)

Ha! Negative Ghost Rider. Although I must admit I did do diligence in trying to find where it was from, to no avail.
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Yeah, we had one kind of crash land at our place last summer and we did some digging and found the owner who was truly appreciative that we took good care of it. Idaho Racing Pigeon Assoc.
waveslider
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:01 pm

"Crash landing"! Ha! Yeah, it depends on what you mean by crash landing as to the level of appreciativeness the fella's from the Idaho Racing Pigeon Association are going to have. This crash was a little abrupt. At any rate, looked online, but there is no way to differentiate the owner as there is a website but no identification for the pigeon as to which owner is there's. Thought about putting the band on my dove call though :biggrin: !
Idahoryden
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting