Pit Blind Door design please

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Pit Blind Door design please

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 am

Hi all,
The season's over, the blind went well, but the doors stick and we need a new plan.
I know there's a 1000 ways to do it and I need some pics of what you guys have.
Tracks, bungees, flip tops, whatever...let's see it.
I can tell you that everyone wants a view, so closed door options with one man as a spotter is not what we want.
Thanks
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Pit Blind Door design please

Postby henslayer101 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:55 pm

What kind of blind and field are you hunting out of

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
henslayer101
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:34 pm

It's already done, but I'm still curious....
4 man, plywood goose pit in a rye field...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby henslayer101 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:07 pm

The pits I usually hunt out of just have a ceiling with squares for shooting holes and then covered up with some kind of grass or corn or whatever is in the field zip tied together in bundles and then you just cover your hole up with that

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
henslayer101
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Hi all,
The season's over, the blind went well, but the doors stick and we need a new plan.
I know there's a 1000 ways to do it and I need some pics of what you guys have.
Tracks, bungees, flip tops, whatever...let's see it.
I can tell you that everyone wants a view, so closed door options with one man as a spotter is not what we want.
Thanks

Not sure if this helps, but here is a thought.

I saw a picture, somewhere, of a guy that made a layout blind from a trash can. It was the kind the garbage company provides, with wheels, squareish back, etc. Now for my thought. Cut the top off, since it is prehinged, cut some peep holes in the lid so you can see. As the birds fly in, pop them open and stand up. Depending on the opening of your pit, you may need to install some 2x4's to give you something to mount it to. It is plastic so it won't rust or need much maintenance besides some cleaning. You can cut slits in it to zip tie grass, corn stubble, wheat, hay, whatever as concealment. Just an idea, but seems brilliant!!!!
scruggs12
hunter

Postby 2shotlimit » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:16 pm

We made our lid/door using 2x4 for the framing and then the door sits on garage door tracks.
We use the black bungee cords for the opening and a simple door latch to hold it shut.
When someone calls take em, the guy in the middle pulls the string release and the door rips open. :beer:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes- Pro-Staff
2shotlimit
hunter

Postby bnc04 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:59 pm

I built covers for each hole out of 3/4" PVC in a square that is about 3 inches longer/wider than the hole. Also made a bar going across the middle for rigidity and an handle to use to toss the lid. Make sure they can still fit in the hole in the pit for storage between hunts. They are painted and are covered in a camo burlap and then corn stalks, grass or whatever cover from the field is zip tied and doctored up a bit before each hunt. I've found that these work well and any person can easily toss them when the shot is called. It allows the ability to view through the burlap and keeps you pretty well concealed.

Brett
bnc04
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:36 am

bnc04 wrote:I built covers for each hole out of 3/4" PVC in a square that is about 3 inches longer/wider than the hole. Also made a bar going across the middle for rigidity and an handle to use to toss the lid. Make sure they can still fit in the hole in the pit for storage between hunts. They are painted and are covered in a camo burlap and then corn stalks, grass or whatever cover from the field is zip tied and doctored up a bit before each hunt. I've found that these work well and any person can easily toss them when the shot is called. It allows the ability to view through the burlap and keeps you pretty well concealed.

Brett

Rain? :huh:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby 2shotlimit » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:42 am

Slack Tide wrote:Rain? :huh:

Yeah, +1 here..that is why we made ours out of plywood for the lid and sealed it to waterproof it...its bad enough having the lid raised a bit to be able to see when the rain is really pouring..i cant imaging open top
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes- Pro-Staff
2shotlimit
hunter

Postby bnc04 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:56 am

2shotlimit wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:Rain? :huh:

Yeah, +1 here..that is why we made ours out of plywood for the lid and sealed it to waterproof it...its bad enough having the lid raised a bit to be able to see when the rain is really pouring..i cant imaging open top

These covers are used only when hunting. there are plywood covers that are used for when the blind is not being used.
Rain? our rain is of the frozen variety and we use sheets over the covers when we get to that point. Also use straw on the floor to keep the snow from making the floor into a muddy mess.

Lids

I tend to take kids and the wives with us, the heavy plywood lids are too much for them to handle so I started using these covers.
this is the 3rd year now.
Brett
bnc04
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting