New to hunting dry fields, need some pointers.

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

New to hunting dry fields, need some pointers.

Postby MartinTheDuck » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 am

so, I live in NE Louisiana and there is a nice chunk of public land up here. One place in particular has some pretty vast dry fields and a cpl. flooded fields. Not too far away is some flooded rice. Is it possible to coax the ducks away from the water and into these dry fields? My main reason for wanting to try is because of the heavy pressure hunters gave em' this season in the water.

Daily, the opportunities in the water were limited b/c of the sheer number of jackasses hunting (meaning 4 groups on a big field, all 4 competing for birds... 3 times I worked mallards to have them spooked by some type of hail call :no: ) Am I getting into a lost cause with wanting to hunt these dry fields? I'll tell you, the Geese tend to come in hard to these fields, but I haven't witnessed ducks doing the same.

Any ideas? How could I delve into this?

Thanks fellas.
MartinTheDuck
hunter

Re: New to hunting dry fields, need some pointers.

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 am

I think is has a chance becasue it is different from what everyone else is doing. If the birds are getting pounded in the flooded fields they may be far less suspicious of a spread in a dry field. It probably will be "traffic" hunting since they are not already using the fields you are looking at so you are going to want a field that gets a lot of flyovers. You may only get a couple hunts before the birds wise up.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:01 pm

SPINNERS!
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby MartinTheDuck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 am

duckdozer wrote:SPINNERS!

Spinners? The only thought coming to my mind is those G&H Swiveling e-decoys...
MartinTheDuck
hunter

Postby MartinTheDuck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:I think is has a chance becasue it is different from what everyone else is doing. If the birds are getting pounded in the flooded fields they may be far less suspicious of a spread in a dry field. It probably will be "traffic" hunting since they are not already using the fields you are looking at so you are going to want a field that gets a lot of flyovers. You may only get a couple hunts before the birds wise up.

Recently I've started to chuckle anytime I read something about birds "wising up...." It seems that this season was packed full of old ducks and rarely did we see any significant pushes of new birds. The maybe 4 days I witnessed nice pushes of birds, the WMA's were packed and working anything was out of the question for the most part. Plus, it was a constant thing to get crapped on by fellow hunters. - "Oh look.... one spread next to another spread and one of those spreads has some guys blowing loud honker calls and there aren't even any honkers in that spread and OH crap!, was that a super loud and fake sounding mallard hen duck-calling-contest-call? Better avoid that area and the 5 square miles around it!"

EVEN THE LEASES BY THE WMA DID CRAPPY THIS YEAR! I'd be real pissed if my $10,000 lease didn't produce.
MartinTheDuck
hunter

Postby HungryBirdwatcher » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Have you worked out how to set up the spread? All duck dekes, split with some mallard or pintail on one side and honkers a little ways apart, or mix them? Anyone have an opinion on what is realistic?
HungryBirdwatcher
hunter

Postby MartinTheDuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:11 am

HungryBirdwatcher wrote:Have you worked out how to set up the spread? All duck dekes, split with some mallard or pintail on one side and honkers a little ways apart, or mix them? Anyone have an opinion on what is realistic?

I figure all mallards is a bit unrealistic (obviously) when you consider most people are putting out heavy mallard spreads. I was imagining mallards, mixed with pintails for confidence, and depending on the weather, some resting honkers or sentry's. ...... I swear, Hungry, if I see you in these dry fields muscling my spot, I will lose my cool! :lol3:
MartinTheDuck
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:45 pm

Spinners=Spinning wing decoys
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:05 pm

Use every duck and goose decoy you own. Water duck decoys can be shoved into the ground(if not too hard) good enough to look ok. Get 4 spinners or maybe 6. Now your running traffic.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Its pretty rare to not be running traffic on public land these days...
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby TheQuackThatKillz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Throw out a big ass goose sped with a few ducks mixed in that's what we do all the way up here in Ohio ! Good luck
TheQuackThatKillz
hunter

Postby mjhuey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:08 pm

In Indiana we use full body geese and mallard dekes on motion stakes, and run few mojo mallards. If hunting both ducks and geese, the mojos usually spook the geese so be able to turn them off when birds are coming toward you. That's how it is up here anyway. Good luck anyway.
mjhuey
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting