Hunting around Shreveport

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Hunting around Shreveport

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 am

I'm looking for some info. My college roomie just got a job working at the military base in Shreveport. He's not moving down for another month, but wanted to start gathering info for next season. I want to try and set up a yearly trip to get down and see him and hunt (I live in Ohio). As I've told all my friends, you gotta get all these hunts / trips engrained in the wife's head before kids come. "But babe! I always go down and see him during duck season!" It's hard to break tradition :clapping:

He's not going to have a boat, and I wouldn't be against doing a guide the first few years. What's the overview of the area down there? Any public lands? All leased up? Mostly river hunting and jumping to potholes? Accessible places without a boat? If we didn't use a guide, I'd imagine going down there and scouting / asking permission the first few days, then heading out.

If the guide approach is the way to go, what type of hunting does it mostly consist of? Flooded fields, timber, potholes or a little bit of everything? I realized it changes year to year, but generally what's the best time of the season to have the best luck?

Thanks in advance
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Re: Hunting around Shreveport

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:45 am

Read some of the post below yours...there are many on Shreveport area waterfowl hunting...
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:52 am

I have read a lot and did a search. Didn't turn up much usable information. Not knowing surrounding areas are probably holding me back.
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 am

For walk in hunting I would go to the LDWF website and review the options for the Shreveport area. Bodcau is one of the LDWF WMA's that comes to mind.

All of the area lakes and the red river are heavily hunted and hunters do not take kindly to newbies encrocaching on their permanent blind locations.

I understand there is pretty good hunting on Barksdale.

Right now would be an excellent time to scout as waterfowl are still in the area.

Anymore information would be in violation of the internet code of ethics...good luck...
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:01 pm

I have never hunted in Ohio but in La you will not have ANY luck getting permission to hunt private lands. Also, as stated before, the hunters are not too friendly over that way when it comes to places with permenant blinds.I would suggest go the opposite way when you see one. Which would then lead you back to the ramp and back home...Not to sure about any guides over that way..Your best bet will be to scout WMA's
AaronR
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:14 pm

MeanGreen wrote:For walk in hunting I would go to the LDWF website and review the options for the Shreveport area. Bodcau is one of the LDWF WMA's that comes to mind.

All of the area lakes and the red river are heavily hunted and hunters do not take kindly to newbies encrocaching on their permanent blind locations.

I understand there is pretty good hunting on Barksdale.

Right now would be an excellent time to scout as waterfowl are still in the area.

Anymore information would be in violation of the internet code of ethics...good luck...

Much appreciated. Not looking for exact spots, and not afraid of putting in the leg work. Just don't know where to start. Before this morning I didn't know WTH a parrish was!
Locked&Loaded wrote:
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm

AaronR wrote:I have never hunted in Ohio but in La you will not have ANY luck getting permission to hunt private lands. Also, as stated before, the hunters are not too friendly over that way when it comes to places with permenant blinds.I would suggest go the opposite way when you see one. Which would then lead you back to the ramp and back home...Not to sure about any guides over that way..Your best bet will be to scout WMA's

Ok that's what I was wondering. In Ohio / PA it's not too difficult to get permission from private land owners. I know in TX as a general rule you can't get permission either.

How big are most of the rivers? From the little I've read, it seems like densities of blinds are pretty high.
Locked&Loaded wrote:
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Hawkeye76 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:58 pm

OmegaRed wrote:
AaronR wrote:I have never hunted in Ohio but in La you will not have ANY luck getting permission to hunt private lands. Also, as stated before, the hunters are not too friendly over that way when it comes to places with permenant blinds.I would suggest go the opposite way when you see one. Which would then lead you back to the ramp and back home...Not to sure about any guides over that way..Your best bet will be to scout WMA's

Ok that's what I was wondering. In Ohio / PA it's not too difficult to get permission from private land owners. I know in TX as a general rule you can't get permission either.

How big are most of the rivers? From the little I've read, it seems like densities of blinds are pretty high.

To say the blind density is pretty high is an understatement. They are everywhere. And as far as competition (pre-Duck Dynasty wannabes), it's tough. I've been duck hunting for 17 years, in 4 states, and this was the toughest I've been around. Fast forward to now, with the current flood of Duck Dynasty superhunters, it's downright nasty.

I'm not saying this to try and dissuade you, just lettin' you know what it's like. I also hunt on BAFB and it's no better than hunting the river or any other public land.
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 pm

Hawkeye76 wrote:
. I also hunt on BAFB and it's no better than hunting the river or any other public land.

Flag lake used to be very good hunting.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 am

Blinds are every where down here on the public lakes and rivers. I have several of them. I also hunt several private land spots and 2 wma's here. Put me in touch with him and I'll help out as much as possible with getting him familiarized with the area and take him hunting when capable.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:12 am

OmegaRed wrote:

Getting premission from land owners here is extremely unlikely to happen. You have to know the land owner personally to have a chance.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby southbistineau » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:52 am

.[/quote]
To say the blind density is pretty high is an understatement. They are everywhere. And as far as competition (pre-Duck Dynasty wannabes), it's tough. I've been duck hunting for 17 years, in 4 states, and this was the toughest I've been around. Fast forward to now, with the current flood of Duck Dynasty superhunters, it's downright nasty.

I'm not saying this to try and dissuade you, just lettin' you know what it's like. I also hunt on BAFB and it's no better than hunting the river or any other public land.[/quote]

There are people here that try to put a blind in every good looking hole on public land in order to claim it. I don't feel like it is right or ethical to have mutiple blinds scattered everywhere, but that is the way things are around here right now. Just because a blind is there doesn't mean you can't hunt that area though. You can determine if a blind is being hunted by scouting. I also found that after the first few weeks after opening weekend, the hunter numbers started decreasing some.

Of course there is always the chance that they might show up at the blind after you are set up. Happened to us once this year.
southbistineau
hunter

Postby mattstin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 am

Best bet is to get out to the natural resources shack on the East Side of the base and get to know some guys that work and hunt there. It will be easier to get your feet wet hunting on base to start out, won't be as cutthroat as the river and other public land. Flag lake, the levee by island rd. are good spots to start. I dont hunt base anymore but its a nice spot to start hunting the area. FYI you will have to have a base hunting license along with state/fed, take a short class once every 3 years.
mattstin
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:12 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:
Hawkeye76 wrote:
. I also hunt on BAFB and it's no better than hunting the river or any other public land.

Flag lake used to be very good hunting.

From what the guys that have hunted there awhile say, it was awesome until they sprayed the lake for salvania(sp?). Since then it has been downhill. It's good for woodies and the occasional ringneck or scaup, but that's about it.
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby HunterRay7 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Private land owners approval of you hunting there land is more than highly unlikely, the river is super crowded, and barksdale also is crowded. Hunted barksdale this year and did horrible not because the ducks didnt fly because they did for a few weeks but because of people skyblasting and blinds 200 yards apart from eachother. Birds would not land they would fly and circle and be gone. As for guides around here I havent heard of any being that we are pretty far away from the flyway and not alot of ducks I dont see how a guide could make any money or maintain a good rep(not in the immediate area that is). Anyways I wish you guys the best of luck, just wanted to state the facts.
HunterRay7
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting