River Hunting Advice

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

River Hunting Advice

Postby Jdunn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:49 am

For the folks that hunt flooded timber on rivers how do you set your decoys up? We have tried traditional style weights and trot line but the current pulls the front of the decoy underwater. The depth varies from 4 feet to 20 feet depending if the river is flooded. We normally set out 4-6 dozen decoys. Any advice would be appreciated.
Jdunn
Newb

Re: River Hunting Advice

Postby ohioboy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:02 am

20 feet? With current? Doubt to many ducks will be landing there. You need lots of lead in that case. Pound each? I guess I would reevaluate my choice of spots if flooding is going on. Backwaters probably better in this case.

Longer lead line will keep the lead decoy up. If its a diver it can give it good realistic action. Seen it look great, seen it look just stupid.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 pm

I hunt rivers a great deal, and can tell you that you are setting up in the wrong places. Ducks generally prefer to loaf in areas where they can, well....loaf. This means calm water, usually. Eddys, backwaters, downstream of sandbars, etc.
I use two ounce weights on lines about 6 times longer than water depth over a sand bottom and never have a problem.

If 6oz weights won't hold a decoy, find a different spot; you'll get more ducks to look at you. That's my advice.
mudpack
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:33 pm

mudpack wrote:I hunt rivers a great deal, and can tell you that you are setting up in the wrong places. Ducks generally prefer to loaf in areas where they can, well....loaf. This means calm water, usually. Eddys, backwaters, downstream of sandbars, etc.
I use two ounce weights on lines about 6 times longer than water depth over a sand bottom and never have a problem.

If 6oz weights won't hold a decoy, find a different spot; you'll get more ducks to look at you. That's my advice.

This.

I hunt rivers for 95% of the season and they will generally be after a bend of deep water where it comes up to a shallow area that they can sit in and all the food gets pushed up to them.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum