NY style gun control proposed for MN

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

NY style gun control proposed for MN

Postby beretta24 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:25 am

Get off your a$$es and make some noise. Please help me in contacting all of the MN state legislators to voice your opposition to another NY style firearm, ammunition and accesories ban. This is YOUR chance to send a message.

Contact all of them and tell them if they support this legislation you will not vote for them, even if you aren't in their district. It won't even be a lie.

http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/1 ... rearm_and/

Representative contact info:
http://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/districtfinder.aspx

Feel free to report, share or pass this on in any fashion you choose.
beretta24
State Moderator

Re: NY style gun control proposed for MN

Postby beretta24 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:00 am

A better link to their contact info. I BCC'ed a single message to every rep in less than 10 minutes. Get it done!

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/1/minnesota-gun-control-bills-to-be-heard-next-week-in-the-house-public-safety-committee.aspx
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:47 am

As you read it says these have not been introduced yet; as of yesterday they have been introduced and there is a no-grandfathering clause in the writting. IF this would be passed it WOULD be illegal to own one of these firearms unless you are law enforcement or a government offical. It states that these firearms and high cap clips must be turned in or taken out of state. They are thrown on the back end of the bills for mental health which will likely pass.

Emails sent!
Ducks22
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:52 am

:thumbsup:

Don't forget to hit up your district reps too. There aren't necessarily on the safety committee. Thanks for the additional details sir!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ironrange » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:04 am

I know MN is a liberal state, but I still didn't think any of the politicians here would have the guts to introduce these kind of revisions. Guess I was wrong. Time to rally the troops and put up a good fight!
ironrange
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:55 am

Indeed, some of it is over the top and won't get passed the safety committee, but there is going to be some people looking to compromise so they can say they did SOMETHING if not enough people make some noise. I really dont like the changes to the carry laws. It does nothing more than turn law abiding citizens into criminals.

Hopefully, with all the people viewing this thread some of our out of state friends are lending a helping hand!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:47 pm

This is so depressing that they would do this. Why do the elected few think we want to be this stupid nanny state? First the smoking ban, now another knee jerk reaction. You would think they get it when we said we wanted to raise our taxes for things related to shooting.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 pm

You're preaching to the choir here....send some emails!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:42 am

I sent emails to every representative that I could (including ones not in my district but I could good an address I "live at", lol). I got stuck on the 7th and 8th districts, but sent letters to every other rep.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:19 pm

goldfish wrote:I sent emails to every representative that I could (including ones not in my district but I could good an address I "live at", lol). I got stuck on the 7th and 8th districts, but sent letters to every other rep.

sent from a phancy fone

Nice work...I have went thru and sent emails a couple times on this issue.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks fellas! In reality we only need about 6-8 dems in either the state senate or house to block this BS. It won't take more than a little pressure at the state level.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Klobuchar seems hell bent on putting it thru, the others were wishy washy, and mike beard I think is on the good side. That's about all I heard back from tho.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:07 am

There are two issues: the state legislation and the federal. When I mentioned 6 or so dems I was speaking to the MN state legislation. We might be screwed on the federal level (with respect to our state's reps). Hopef ully others can save us.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:14 am

beretta24 wrote:There are two issues: the state legislation and the federal. When I mentioned 6 or so dems I was speaking to the MN state legislation. We might be screwed on the federal level (with respect to our state's reps). Hopef ully others can save us.

There is no way it will pass the federal level and Obama knows it that is why he is going to individual states to promote it. You also have to remember that most dems here are different than the dems in New York that passed the BS that is now law. There are a handful of rural dems that I could never see voting for this if it gets to a vote!
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Do you want to sit on the sidelines and hope you're right or do something about it? Not all of the proposals are as abrassive as weapon bans and confiscation. It's the comprimise on rights that I am concerned about. I will comprimise on a lot, but not my rights. What kind of legacy do you want to leave your children or grandchildren?

It takes mere seconds to make your voice heard. You can dam* sure bet Obama's campaign resources are moving on this issue. From the information I have seen, the DFL representatives below are on the fence on some or all of the proposals. These folks could use some extra attention.

I encourage you all to personalize a letter to each about your disapproval of these bills in a proffesional manner. Call them, be clear and respectful, but make your voice heard. There was a great turn out downtown yesterday and the pressure is making an impact on our side.

Dan Schoen (54A, DFL)
533 State Office Building
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-296-4342
Email: rep.dan.schoen@house.mn

David Dill (03A, DFL)
571 State Office Building
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-296-2190
Email: rep.david.dill@house.mn

Mary Murphy (03B, DFL)
443 State Office Building
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-296-2676
Email: rep.mary.murphy@house.mn

Paul Thissen (61B, DFL)
463 State Office Building
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-296-5375
Email: rep.paul.thissen@house.mn
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 pm

Completed already and I'm not sitting on the sidelines. Firearms have been a big part of my life and are still to this day as I work with them professionally. Like beretta has stated i encourage all to contact there representatives and voice their opinions. I also encourage you all to sit down and read the proposed legislation.
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks for joining the fight, and letting others know what you're doing. Day two was a little rougher downtown. Keep the message flowing!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:15 am

I'm afraid day 3 will be worse...High capacity mags are on the docket 10 rounds is a hard pill to swallow because everyone against it thinks they are limiting the amount of potential casualties. But what people against these things forget to think about is this. An individual can buy a 30 round mag for their handgun which is equal to three 10 round mags for a handgun still the same amount just more mags. And no difference in the amount of time to fire off 30 rounds coming from one mag or three...takes me approx 1-1.3 seconds to do an administrative reload(that's the slow reload) when the hand gun is empty. So I ask whats the difference NOTHING!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby goldfish » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:47 pm

If she is in your district, Betty McCollum should never be elected to another position anywhere ever again.

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:05 pm

emailed the safety committee members. I hope I get a reply
Last edited by MNjonboatguy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:48 pm

I'd take your email off the forum unless you want spam bots picking it up.

Also, I might leave out the drug stuff. You say "drugs are bad so we stop them by outlawing them and persecuting those who have them" and that seems like an easily twisted point for a gun ban. I also thought I saw a wording typo the first time I went thru it, but I can't find it now so I may be crazy.

Otherwise, it looks good. It's your own letter which I've noticed gets received better. I'd like to know if you actually get something back that explains their side (I doubt you'll get much out of the reply, but we can dream)

sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Anything that's respectful is good by me. Personally, I try to keep letters shorter, and stray away from arguing "practical" applications or points because I don't think they are germane to the issue. The issue in my mind is they are trying to use federal and state congressional law to restrict the second ammendment, and the only reason they are choosing that route is being they know there are no votes to change the constitution itself.

The constitution was crafted to prevent a simple majority in congress from changing the law of the land for the whole country. I want my representatives to respect that, and I will no longer vote for those that seem to ignore our history.
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting