Pirogue

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Pirogue

Postby AR Dave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Some equipment I'm getting for next season.
http://www.pirogue.com

AR Dave
hunter

Re: Pirogue

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Check out bobcat or water moccasin pirogues.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:51 pm

rebel, I like people who think the same as me on just about everything. :biggrin:
You might have to come up here show me some hunting skills next season.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm

I am getting the heritage nucanoe for next year, its a cross breed between a sit on top kayak and a canoe. You cant get swamped and they are dam near impossible to capsize and fast enough. Just a little heavy at 77 lbs. I hope sometime to get one of those Paw Paw pirogues.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 pm

AR Dave wrote:rebel, I like people who think the same as me on just about everything. :biggrin:
You might have to come up here show me some hunting skills next season.

I don't know that much but I'm in for going hunting.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Know an old swamp duck hunter, who's advice is like the Bible (actually wrote several books) to me, he's had five of these and put me on them. They are 10-13 feet long, 29, 40, 55 lbs. He's 210 lbs, would take his dog, 2 dozen blocks, and say's it would paddle along on 4 inches of water easily. He'd pull up to edge where duck pass, tip it a little to let water in, make it disappear, tip it back back and go again. Price $375 to $450

z9.jpg
z9.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Last edited by AR Dave on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:24 pm

AR Dave wrote:Know an old swamp duck hunter, who's advice is like the Bible to me, he's had five of these and put me on them.
The 10-13 feet long, 29, 40, 55 lbs. He's 210 lbs, would take his dog, 2 dozen blocks, and say's it would paddle along on 4 inches of water easily. He'd pull up to edge where duck pass, tip it a little to let water in, make it disappear, tip it back back and go again.
Price $375 to $450

For that price, you can't beat it. I haul my big fat 250lbs of butt, my dog, bag, 2-3 dozen loose decoys, and 2 decoy bags laid over the top in mine. I use the huge cabela's decoy bags. I can get 4-5 dozen in each. I don't always take that many. I have a 10, 12 and 14 footer. The 10 and 12 are water moccasins and the 14 is a bobcat. They are fiberglass and really lightweight. Super easy to paddle.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby lamboicon » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:55 pm

We build this from some plans my great great grandfather had but we put a flat back on it and trim a 45lb trolling motor and mount it to the back. Then we wire it up to a foot steer. It's great for duck hunting.
lamboicon
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:35 pm

45 lb trolling motor? I'm a little disappointed because I should get the 40 lb pirogue, instead of the 29 lb pirogue. I'm a heavier fellow myself (muscle, rebel). I just want to back the truck down next to the slough, ease the boat in and stalk my way wherever it takes me. Or during the week, when my friends dogs aren't with me. In other words, I need it as light as possible. Would be a lot more nostalgic to build it yourself, especially from handed down family plans.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:45 pm

I have a Sprigtail Pirogue from Core Sound Layout Boats and I love it. It is very stable and paddles effortlessly.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 pm

AR Dave wrote:45 lb trolling motor? I'm a little disappointed because I should get the 40 lb pirogue, instead of the 29 lb pirogue. I'm a heavier fellow myself (muscle, rebel). I just want to back the truck down next to the slough, ease the boat in and stalk my way wherever it takes me. Or during the week, when my friends dogs aren't with me. In other words, I need it as light as possible. Would be a lot more nostalgic to build it yourself, especially from handed down family plans.

If you want it as light as possible, go fiberglass. The 3 that I have also have wider bottoms and a little deeper sides than the other. Makes it more stable and able to put a bigger load in.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby mike_b » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:11 pm

I purchased a Marsh Rat this summer for hunting. With their duck blind it cost me around $750 total. I welded an aluminum transom for it and added a 30lbs troller. I used it several times without the troller as well just paddling. Mostly on shallow creeks and impounded lake headwaters.

I can't say how much I like this boat. I strap it to the roof of my truck and go almost anywhere. I carry 2-3 dozen duck decoys plus my bag, guns etc. the best thing is that with some grass in the blind, and the doors closed, this thing disappears. I just built a simple back that doubles as a seat out of a single piece of plywood and its a perfect shallow water layout. It sticks up around 4-5 inches above the surface. I've floated right up onto ducks sitting on a creek and they pay me no attention.

That said, its very wide and stable, but its width would make it a bit difficult to paddle long ways. I've done a 1/2 mile paddling easy in it.
mike_b
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Yall can have those company made boats. Every Pirouge Ive owned has been built home made and local on the bayou by a good ol' cajun. Thats my definition of a Pirouge, the rest are canoes.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Saltwater_Assassin wrote:Yall can have those company made boats. Every Pirouge Ive owned has been built home made and local on the bayou by a good ol' cajun. Thats my definition of a Pirouge, the rest are canoes.

That is why I have a Sprigtail. It is local made....there aren't many cajuns in North Carolina, but there are a lot of boat builders :beer:
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby mike_b » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Saltwater_Assassin wrote:Yall can have those company made boats. Every Pirouge Ive owned has been built home made and local on the bayou by a good ol' cajun. Thats my definition of a Pirouge, the rest are canoes.

That's good and all, fiberglass or wood just isn't as durable where I hunt. Rocks and bumps and stuff. Hard freezing temps. I'm not knocking locally made things but not many local Cajuns have a rotational molding machine.
mike_b
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:57 pm

This one is made by a Cajun - in Chalmette.
My Slough, blind is right there in that opening.
You know you'd like to slip down through those Cypress :smile:
IMG_blind2.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:45 am

Don't know about a "Pirouge," but If you're going to play purist in your Southeast corner of the state, I'd think it would have to be a one piece cypress dugout to be a pirogue. And the rest couldn't be canoes unless Indians built them.

Regardless, being a displaced hillbilly with no Cajun tradition to uphold, I'll take the portability of a glass pirogue over whatever stability gain the weight of wood grants one for the type of highly mobile work I do out of one.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:45 am

Bought a Carsten Pintail for cheap. It's a bit bigger and heavier than a pirogue. I like it. The boat will go in a couple inches of water with me, the dog, and 3-4 dozen decoys stuffed inside. It doubles as a layout. It's 13.5 feet long.

A pirogue looks cool but I think I'll stick with the Pintail. It's a sweet little boat. Has floatation foam in both ends so I kinda doubt I can sink it. I've stood up and shot out of it to see if it was possible. It IS. Amazing little boat.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby POKER1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:09 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Check out bobcat or water moccasin pirogues.

Bobcat is no longer in business. I have a couple 12' Water Moccasins and it is by far the way to go over the traditional cajun rogue. Yes, I was born and raised in S LA and have owned both wooden and FB cajun style rogues. The WM is much more stable and safer IMO for traveling the stump fields N of the Mason Dixon / I-10 line....... :lol3: The construction of the WM lends itself to being used as a nice Layout blind also.
POKER1
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum