Plastic band?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Plastic band?

Postby JaredR215 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:13 am

I went out tonight and shot 2 of these. Does anyone know much about them? Shot in Northern CO

JaredR215
hunter

Re: Plastic band?

Postby War Wagon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:10 am

Any marking on the Band ? :huh:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:52 am

Same thing with a goose we got this year, had one normal band and one green band with nothing on it.... wierd eh? I shot a plastic band on a dove but that one was cool, hard plastic and laminated with numbers
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby JON » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:50 pm

You sure it was a dove?
JON
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Farm goose that was banded and got away?
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:26 pm

positive it was a dove.
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby JON » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 am

What species of dove?

Probably an escapee from an aviary where both pigeons and doves were kept. Your description of the band sounds like a racing pigeon marker... but I have seen fanciers use them on doves as well. Did it appear to be a bit big for the size of the leg?
JON
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:52 am

From what I have heard it could possibly be a relocation band. Is there any other bands (aluminum)?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:42 pm

all the pigeons at our local picnic hunt tests have those numbered leg bands. it was just on the news about trapping local city geese on golf courses and parks are shipped off to mingle with wild geese, repeat offenders who made it back here were banded with red plastic bands. i have had guides tell me the color dictates different areas. around here :fingerpt: yellow neck bands and i guess :mad: red leg bands
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Black Smoke wrote:From what I have heard it could possibly be a relocation band. Is there any other bands (aluminum)?

I know that when trapping birds in Maine for relocation, they band them all before they are moved and the banding site is listed as the original location they were trapped.

I went along with the Biologists a couple weeks ago and trapped 32 on one lake for relocation to a Flagstaff Lake. They were fouling the state park beach to the point where the swimming was close to being shut down due to excess coliform. They got a ride 2 hours north of here and released.

In 2012, they trapped 54 birds, banded and relocated them. Of that 54 that took the ride, 18 of them were harvested during the fall season on or near Flagstaff. None of those bands were returned from the original trapping area last fall.

Of the 32 we trapped, a dozen had been banded in 2012 and relocated to Flagstaff as part of those 54!
So it seems, Relocation works a little but some did find their way to the original lake after last winter.

From the biologists standpoint, it's important that the birds are banded where they were caught in order to make any assessment of the success of the relocation effort.
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm

sounds right maybe the first time was the normal aluminum band and the second was the plastic one :thumbsup:all the ones I have seen with the plastic had the normal jewelry too
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby dec » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:15 am

Different states use the plastic bands for different purposes. Ours here are about twice as long as the one in the photo.

Here in Indiana, we use them for "relocation" birds. When we trap birds in late June, we take them to a relocation site where they get a Federal metal band put on one leg and a plastic band on the other leg. Mature birds get a bright orange band and juvi birds get a white band. The plastic bands are simply used as an identifier from a distance. DNR can observe from a distance. Hunters can target bright orange bands to take out mature birds ... in theory anyway. Some years we put on more plastic relocation bands than others. IDNR seems to limit how many they send out to the banding sites. I've helped band over 1000 birds the past 5 years since we finally became able to band relocation birds up here. Before that we had no way of tracking what birds we relocated.

I'd show the photo to your state waterfowl biologist and see if he/she can point you in the direction behind that band.
Derek Craig

New Day Outdoors Productions, Marsh Mutt, Drake Waterfowl Systems, DSD

Next time you go out hunting, consider taking a kid along. Our future is the greatest joy you will find this sport.
dec
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:51 am

Are we gonna get out together this year Mr. Craig?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby dec » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:23 am

If you have a good place to hunt and want to limit the hunt to about 3 people max (I get shy around large groups of people :oops: ) ... then ... sure. :beer:

My spots are not all that good but I manage to scratch a few out. :crying: I tend to hunt alone more or with one or two of my buddies that I have been hunting with for years. We know how each other hunt and we keep the fields fresh for multiple days of of hunting, assuming that we are fortunate enough to have a couple birds come our direction. It is a grind, but we do the best that we can and every once in a while a goose takes a "magic BB". :fingerhead:

I'm getting old anyway and cannot hang with you young guys. My days of dragging decoys and other gear 200 yards across a plowed muddy field are behind me. I need my chariot to drive me and my decoys to my hunting spot. :help:
Derek Craig

New Day Outdoors Productions, Marsh Mutt, Drake Waterfowl Systems, DSD

Next time you go out hunting, consider taking a kid along. Our future is the greatest joy you will find this sport.
dec
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 am

haha.. I understand buddy we will definitely get you on some birds I am to the point now as well where I do not hunt with parties much larger than 4. I was all about quantity last year and figured out that its more stress than its worth getting 7-10 guys hidden and hauling all the gear. I want quality hunts where it's just my friends and I where we all know what is going on and don't complain if something goes wrong. If I take you it will probably just be three of us maybe just you and I.
Black Smoke
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum