Truck Fuel Pump Question

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

Truck Fuel Pump Question

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:29 am

Here's the quick diagnosis, please see if you agree...
'04 F250
Started really cold, no problem.
Ran fine slow on local road to go to a neighbor to get some firewood.
Got there and turned it off (my son was in the car, I didn't want him to mess with anything)
I was there 5minutes picking up a few skids for kindling.
Got back in, nothing.
Strong battery, but no kick at all.
I hit the fuel tank with a hammer, started right up.
Off, started again. Off, started again (no banging)
Off.......
No start at all...(still strong battery)

SO?

How hard to fix? Will he have to drop the tank?
How long will it take (my mechanic)?
How much??

Thanks guys,
Slack
Last edited by Slack Tide on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Truck Fuel Pump Question

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 am

More specifically...
Does hitting the tank to make the pump work prove that it's the pump and NOT a modulator or some other fuse, electrical component?
Thanks
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Truck Fuel Pump Question

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:31 pm

how cold are we talking? could be a little watery fuel in the pump and it froze up and hitting it broke the ice. or if a diesel it gelled up. I've seen it happen to a broke ass kid at school..... couldnt afford to to fill up his 7.3L 250 and ran her on E most of the time and his fuel gelled up on him on day at school.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:32 pm

High 20s in the shade for a week or so since the season closed. I don't run it much. Just for fire wood, boat, chores etc...
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby pangborn83 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Did you hear the pump try to prime before you tried to crank it? I would think if you didn't its either a pump or wiring issue (sometimes the pigtails get corroded etc. and hitting it may have gotten it to make a better connection). If it was attempting to prime I'd pressure test it and if close to the low side replace it. I have a friend that had a 150 with a similar issue each time I went to grab it and check it out I would show up and he would turn the key and it would fire up. I had put a new pump in a year or so prior so I dropped the tank and checked wiring as I figureed I had a bad connection, he decided that it must be the pump and asked me to put a new one in. I told him I suppose that could be the issue but pressure test was good, and I would not if it were my own truck, and that untill it could be replicating the issue when I could do some troubleshooting it may just be a waste of money. He wanted it done anyways as he was sick of being broke down so i did. It left him in a couple more parking lots after the new pump. One day it finally gave up long enough for me to take a better look at it. I got to the inertia switch and lost power. Replaced that and all was good for the last two or three years he had it. So I guess long story short hitting the tank really proves little especially if the pump isn't priming if it is and it's not starting I'd pressure test it and go from there.
pangborn83
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:06 am

I have a good, but all too common Primadonna mechanic..who does not want to hear the theories of this English teacher about vehicles....
SO.
I gotta have my ducks in a row when I go in there.
What would be the sequence that he/you should go through..
ck the battery
ck the fuses
ck the wiring
ck the pressure? (pressure of what, how do you do that?)

if it is the fuel pump..would that be the worst case scenario? How much roughly would that cost?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:11 pm

best place I know for OEM replacement parts- http://www.rockauto.com/ you're looking at about $96-98 for a good pump. wouldnt get the cheap-O's
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby pangborn83 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 am

Did you hear the pump running at all key on engine off? Depending on that would make my mind up on what I would do to diagnose it. If you could hear it run before cranking a fuel pressure test would be an idea if you didn't hear it run I would either wait for it to do it again or you could just try a pump. Thing is if it was not running (pump) and now it is it will be hard to diagnose what is really wrong electrical issues are hard sometimes as they can be a ghost. Fuel pressure test is to verify pump is producing enough pressure and volume. It can also be used to check fpr. There is a schrader valve on the rear right fuel rail a gauge is hooked to.
pangborn83
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:39 am

pangborn83 wrote:Did you hear the pump running at all key on engine off? Depending on that would make my mind up on what I would do to diagnose it. If you could hear it run before cranking a fuel pressure test would be an idea if you didn't hear it run I would either wait for it to do it again or you could just try a pump. Thing is if it was not running (pump) and now it is it will be hard to diagnose what is really wrong electrical issues are hard sometimes as they can be a ghost. Fuel pressure test is to verify pump is producing enough pressure and volume. It can also be used to check fpr. There is a schrader valve on the rear right fuel rail a gauge is hooked to.

I did not hear the pump, nor think to listen? I guess the shortest possible way of asking my question would be:

If a truck wouldn't start...then you banged the gas tank and then it DID start...
Then you turned it off and it wouldn't start....
What would your best guess be?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby pangborn83 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:18 pm

With that being said if I were to gamble I would put a new pump in. I guess what I was tring to say is it may not solve te issue though, really the best way to fix it without tossing money at it would be to wait till it happens again as it could be something else but it can test fine (if its working currently voltage is getting to the pump it is doing its job) so knowing for certain is most likely not the case. Pump is probable but if it is working for a guaranteed fix it needs to break again. there is minimal envolved in the fuel system though. Fuel pump is sent voltage from computer, through the inertia switch to the pump. If it is electrical aside from wiring it would be pump or switch. Electrical stuff is weird it can work then quit then fix itself without you doing anything. Banging on the tank may not have even been what fixed the issue may have been coincidence. As I said each time my friend called me I would hop in the flat bed get there, he'd turn the key to show me what was going on and it would start lol weird but it happens.
pangborn83
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:02 pm

As Pangborn has suggested, unless you catch it in the act you are probably wasting money. I didn't see what motor is in this, is it a diesel or gas? My first guess would be the fuel pump relay. It is either under the hood in the power distribution box or under the dash in the fuse panel. The cover of those panels should state what is what if not look in your owners manual. The relay used in these was used by ford for many years and they were pretty unreliable. In order to verify if it is a relay, you might switch the fuel pump relay with a less important relay next to it like the horn relay. See if the problem persists. Also locate your inertia switch and make sure it is plugged in completely and the wires aren't pulled at that connector. Hope this helps.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum