Are Coyotes A Ducks Best Friend?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

Are Coyotes A Ducks Best Friend?

Postby huntsem » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Some here may find this surprising.

Wildlife studies prove that the presence of coyote populations in an area of the prairie pot hole region nearly doubled duck nest production due to coyotes preying on lower level predators and nest robbers.

http://retrieverman.net/2012/08/07/are-coyotes-a-ducks-best-friend/

huntsem
hunter

Re: Are Coyotes A Ducks Best Friend?

Postby BuckeyeZac » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:26 am

Wildlife studies don't "prove" anything. They may show a high correlation between variables within the study area. However if you read on page 6 of the published study "although our results show that coyotes benefit ducks by reducing nest depredation by foxes, coyotes can also prey extensively on duck nests, especially where coyotes are considered abundant (Glup and McDanial 1988). Our study was conducted in a region where coyote populations were relatively low."

I also remember from my wildlife management classes at OSU.. something to the effect that coyote populations can be sustained at up to 80% kill rate each year.

"Mike Bodenchuk, Texas state director for the USDA’s Wildlife Services, said coyotes have a 60 percent annual mortality rate in some cases, whether they are hunted or not. In order to have an impact, it’s vital to remove either 70 to 80 percent of the entire population, or to remove the right coyotes at the right time."
http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/deer-h ... population

My point... Killing coyotes in Ohio, will have a negligible effect on increasing/decreasing the duck populations. To decrease the population of coyotes, over 60% will have to be killed every year. Kill away boys.

Also, be careful saying "wildlife studies prove," and then cite one wildlife study. One study does not equate to "wildlife studies." Good wildlife study though. I enjoyed reading it.
Last edited by BuckeyeZac on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Good post Zac!

Think we all agree with huntsem's view on Feral Cat elimination though. :lol3:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BuckeyeZac » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks Mr. Plond. Definitely effective on the feral cats! I just thought I had to set the record a little stright b/c sem felt the need to hijack all of the threads to spread slightly misleading info.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 pm

I have kept my mouth shut since sunday when I seen the hijack, and I just want to thank you Zac for a great post. I feel you were spot on. I will leave it at that before I start the second pissing match of weather or not to kill a coyote.
t_baker
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting