Whats going on with GHG

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

Whats going on with GHG

Postby Justin300mag » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:27 am

I have been searching the stores and online and I cannot find anything but the Tim Newbold Lessers. Are we waiting for something else to come out? are they downscaling their operation? I was looking to buy the ffd elites but everywhere is sold out.
Justin300mag
hunter

Re: Whats going on with GHG

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:39 am

Before you go that route, I would recommend checking out Dakota Decoy brand. I've owned both and the Dakota's are much more durable, look better, and have a better motion than the GHG's. Just my opinions but anyway here you go.

For the GHG
http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/aver ... 87_90.html

http://www.mackspw.com/ItemList--Canada ... owItems-80

For the Dakota
http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/deco ... 16_17.html
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:09 am

We switched production to a new decoy line and closed out some of the other old lines like the FFD elites and hunter series. Now we have the pro grade full body honker line, the Tim Newbold lessers and Cacklers. Here are a few of my pictures of the new Pro Grades in action and there are some Newbolds mixed in. Might still be tough to get your hands on pro grades at the moment, I think they may be having a tough time keeping them in stock.

Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby SPatrick » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 am

@ rebel, I have hunted over both, my buddy is a staffer for dakota, the motion and realism on the dakotas is not close to the motion or look of the new Pro Grades. I can show you pictures side by side. The Dakotas are great decoys look good and are very durable though.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Great Decoys!
Last edited by WIDrakeKiller on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:26 pm

SPatrick wrote:@ rebel, I have hunted over both, my buddy is a staffer for dakota, the motion and realism on the dakotas is not close to the motion or look of the new Pro Grades. I can show you pictures side by side. The Dakotas are great decoys look good and are very durable though.

Are they new pro grades on a stand or stake?
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Pro grades come with both, in those pictures they are on a stake, the newbolds come with stakes only.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby jrode237 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Shaun, any chance you could line up as many of the Avery dekes in a photo as possible to give an overall size comparison? Something like Pro-Grade Honkers, Full body honkers, Elite Lessers, Newbold Lessers, and Newbold cacklers. Heck, if you want to even throw in the old OS duck FB's and the new pro-grade fullbody ducks that would be even better.
jrode237
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Wish I could Jrode, my spread consists of only the new Pro Grades, the Newbold lessers, and the new FB mallards. Got redone this year and I have subsequently got rid of my old stuff. Sorry man, If you would like I could get you some pics of those three.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby noweil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:34 pm

I was lucky enough to get to hunt over a large spread of Pro Grades at the end of December. Good looking decoys with good motion. Even set some on the ground and they looked very realistic.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:09 am

GHG has it down. Im gonna pick up some of them for next yr. I always loved GHG... never had any problems with them. The only decoy that I did was their teal. They chipped some paint but are still usable. Going to touch them up in the offseason. Other than that all my GHG's have been wonderful. Plus they simply look the best on the market!!!!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Before you go that route, I would recommend checking out Dakota Decoy brand. I've owned both and the Dakota's are much more durable, look better, and have a better motion than the GHG's. Just my opinions but anyway here you go.

For the GHG
http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/aver ... 87_90.html

http://www.mackspw.com/ItemList--Canada ... owItems-80

For the Dakota
http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/deco ... 16_17.html

links are no good if you try to buy them they are sold out.

I really like the look of the new pro grades but other than your pictures of them I cannot even find any evidence of them to backorder or anything. went to GHGs website to see if I could get more info on them. that is a joke.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Yeah I am not exactly sure if you can even order them right now. The website is a no go at the moment, but I hear we are getting a new one. :thumbsup:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby teddysberna » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 am

I bought some of the Newbold lessers and they are smaller than the OS ducks... I was kind of disappointed in the size, really, but they'll work. My buddy has some FA lessers (that I'm not real fond of), but they are noticeably bigger than the GHGs.

Oh well, I'm not mad about it... I've got a photo of the feeder, lesser, and OS duck side by side I think...
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:21 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360250483.681170.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ByersFarm wrote:

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:51 pm

teddysberna wrote:

Cant imagine how small the cacklers are!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:01 pm

cuppedandkilled wrote:
teddysberna wrote:

Cant imagine how small the cacklers are!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Dove sized? :lol3: :lol3:
ByersFarm wrote:

teddysberna
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:34 am

since I cannot even find them to get a price on them could anybody satisfy my curiosity and tell me what the new pro grades cost.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby noweil » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Take a picture of some dead lessers and your Tim Newbold full bodies. I have seen pictures and the dead birds were the same size as the decoys. The small size of the decoys surprised me till I saw them next to dead birds. They were almost the exact same size. When we have shot lessers they are about the same size as a mallard.

The cackler decoys are small, but I am used to hunting big geese and have never hunted cacklers.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 pm

We shoot a lot of cacklers and lesser here, In fact you have to try pretty hard to find honkers. Tim Newbold had his sizes spot on.

A local shop had them in stock. The cacklers run about 250ish a doz and the lesser roughly 290ish. They look really good for a production decoy.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Justin300mag » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:38 am

Tealer wrote:We shoot a lot of cacklers and lesser here, In fact you have to try pretty hard to find honkers. Tim Newbold had his sizes spot on.

A local shop had them in stock. The cacklers run about 250ish a doz and the lesser roughly 290ish. They look really good for a production decoy.

Yeah the lessers I have seen. I would like to know the price on the honkers
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:35 am

The half dozen Newbold Lessers I bought were returned to Cabelas for a number of reasons including their size (way too small to be an effective spread when only putting out one type of decoy-I had wanted to pick up roughly 2 dozen to use as a late season small spread on wet/snowy days and these decoys are just too small to be seen from any distance in the fields/location I hunt), the fact that the motion cones were not even close to lining up with the holes in the underside of the decoys on 3 of the 6, and paint was missing on essentially every decoy but one. Traded them in for a half dozen Avian X's and was so impressed that I have another 18 on order.
jrode237
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 am

LOL it's marketing.... You reduce the size of the product to reduce cost and charge the same price........................ And you fell for it................. Seems to me FA tried the same thing with lessers a few years back and it was a fail...............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 am

Yeah I have always been a fan of ghg but I think they really shot themselves in the foot with the Tiny Tim Newbold crap. I hope they fix it it before it bankrupts them. Everyone I haved talked to that has had the chance to see them in person first has said they will not be getting any, including me.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Justin300mag wrote:Yeah I have always been a fan of ghg but I think they really shot themselves in the foot with the Tiny Tim Newbold crap. I hope they fix it it before it bankrupts them. Everyone I haved talked to that has had the chance to see them in person first has said they will not be getting any, including me.

Lots of people are buying them, so much so they cant keep them in stock. I like that they are finally selling a decoys that looks like a goose not a painted football. As far as the size goes, I think they are perfectly sized for lesser and cacklers.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Next

Return to Goose Decoy Forum