Which state?

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Which state?

Postby MNkid7 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:59 pm

I have the opportunity to either go to Arkansas in a few weeks or South Dakota in march but I can only go on one trip. This will be my first time going and don't know what to expect but I guess what I'm wondering is which would be better for a first time snow goose hunt.
MNkid7
hunter

Re: Which state?

Postby anatidaephobic » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:45 am

A couple of weeks ago we had snows everywhere in the area I hunt. They were really spread out. But I noticed most of them were heading north when they moved. The last week or so there haven't been nearly as many in my area. When you find them they are usually bunched up in one field and not several flocks spread out all over. Might see another push of birds from the south if the weather continues to warm up. Or, the weather could change and push a few back south. Who knows. But, if your going to come to Arkansas in a few weeks youll probably be hurting for birds as the first part of February is usually the best for us. These are just my observations and based on that I would suggest going to South Dakota in march.
anatidaephobic
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 am

Guided or freelance?

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby MNkid7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 pm

It would be a guided trip but I can only go on one trip because of the cost.
MNkid7
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Ive always heard that SD offers the best chance at taking birds more consistently with less pressure overall. I believe it too as SD is the bottleneck of the mirgration.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby MNkid7 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Okay thanks for the info. The guide service I'm going through says that he is in South Dakota march 15-April 15. So generally what time is the migration through SD. I know it depends on the weather and what not but just a general date is what I'm looking for.
MNkid7
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:56 pm

Im no expert, but in Feb, people are already killing a lot of snows in mound city, missouri. Given that missouri is a state distance away and if weather is turning out nice. Hit SD on March 15. Just realize SD has different rules and off the top of my head, I think there is still a 20/day limit. And I dont even know if the application to hunt waterfowl in that state carries over to conservation. Limited out of state licenses for waterfowling. Check before you. If I was you, I go to the Mecca of Mound City.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:06 am

There will be piles of birds here by march 15th in SD. No limit, no plugs, no license draw. Pick a time in march and come enjoy the gong show.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum