First Pistol help

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

First Pistol help

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:34 am

I recently submitted my paperwork and am expecting to receive my permit by the end of the summer. I'd like some suggestions, Pros/Cons on what would be a good first pistol to buy.
I can tell you that I am not interested in a land cannon and I do expect to go to the range now and then. I'm not saying that "money is no object" but I do want quality.
Thanks
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: First Pistol help

Postby erp10 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:49 am

If you stick with a glock g17 or g19 Springfield xd9 or s&w m&p 9 you should be in good shape. They are all solid guns that are reliable and in 9mm. Pick what feels best you will shoot it best.
erp10
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:54 am

What is the price range on those you mentioned? I tend to like the look of Rugers...is there one you might suggest?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby erp10 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 am

You should be able to pick upone that I mentioned for under 525. The ruger p95 is a solid gun. It has a hammer some people like that some don't. That means it has the ability to shoot single or double action. Plus it has an external safety another plus or minus depending on your view of that. The ruger retails for under 400 usually. It all depends on how much your local dealer tries to price them since pistols can be hard to get right now.
erp10
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 am

Is this permit to conceal? Before buying any pistol, I'd look at what it would be used for and how many bullets you'd want it to hold. Glocks are good to conceal if you get the right model. If you're more of a 1911 guy, I carry a Taurus PT1911 that cost around $600. I would suggest the Kimber though because it's smaller but more expensive. Have you thought about what caliber you want?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Hey Jr..
To be honest...I am a shotgun junkie and own many but I know just the basics about pistols...but I want to learn.
I just didn't like at all the way gun laws were going and really felt that it was important to turn in my license Ap before someone ever told me that I couldn't...I would have kicked myself forever for that.
I don't see myself owning many handguns so I want to make my first purchase count.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Well, 9mm is extremely cheap ammo if you can find it. That's why a lot of people go out and buy them. I'd say a Glock is a standard good choice. But, do research on the safety features to see if you like them. My absolute favorite pistol is a 1911. It's a steel frame and shoots a .45acp which is much larger than a 9mm. A .45 is my wife's and my preference for concealing because of the stopping power. She has a Glock 36 and I conceal my full size 1911. But, you'll probably be okay with a 9mm. Your choices are almost limitless depending on what the scare has done to your state. The proposed ban will include anything that holds more than 10 bullets unless you are in NY then it's 7. A lot of pistols hold 8-10 as the standard. Some Glocks accept very high cap mags if you want to rebel against the system. I've seen a double drumb mag for a glock 18 I think it was. Figure out what you want a pistol for and go from there. I will say that a lot of people buy Taurus brands. I own a Taurus PT1911 and it's a great gun. The Millennium Pro is also a good gun. But the rest of their semiauto pistols aren't worth looking at. I hear a lot about them and problems they have depending on the model.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:43 pm

I am in NY and I don't plan to conceal...
For a guy who pretty much wants ONE gun and I plan only to take it to the range now and again...
I really don't want any drama with jamming, awkward safety features etc....
Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming. I'm going to go out and look around this weekend.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Wow, I'm not sure how to help a guy in NY. The only thing I can do is pray I guess...
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Long Island no less..... :no:
I will say that they were very cavalier at the PD when they took my papers...You would think the cops of ALL people would want to be as DISSuasive as possible..
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:04 pm

sig sauer. there's a reason they are the go to gun for tons of law enforcement and they are the side arm issued to the secret service. if that's not a good enough reccomendation, i don't know what is.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:30 am

Beretta is what the armed services use.............and it comes in at 33 ounces not the 21oz of the Glock.

9 or 40 is the new loads of today with the .45 as the all time favorite. Just depends on what you deceide on.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Why not try the Sig 25o in 40 S & W, 9mm, 357 Sig or 45. You can set it up as a 2 sum; 2 barrels of dfferent caliber, 1 frame and slide. Works for me. I use 40 cal for off duty carry and 45 for the range. Under 550 for the set up. :eek: :hi:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:43 pm

adustydawg2 wrote:Why not try the Sig 25o in 40 S & W, 9mm, 357 Sig or 45. You can set it up as a 2 sum; 2 barrels of dfferent caliber, 1 frame and slide. Works for me. I use 40 cal for off duty carry and 45 for the range. Under 550 for the set up. :eek: :hi:

Now THAT could be an option......
I like that idea...
I am so new to this, I love hearing it all...I am going to look this weekend and keep learning...We we'll see. I have 6 months until license time....
Thanks
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 am

I'm still confused about this license. What is it exactly?
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:59 am

AS I UNDERSTAND IT: ( that's my disclaimer because I'm sure someone is going to come in and clarify a point or two)
And this is just for Suffolk County Long Island (because I've already heard from bunches of guys from other areas in NY that have different licensing issues)

You first download and fill out the application which asks basic info, 4 references, $10 and notarized.
You bring it to HQ and they review it, take the $10, give you a case number and contact person.
Within 2 months +/- you will be called for fingerprints, a picture and an interview and pay the remaining $94.25 (where that number comes from, who knows??)
Within 4 months of that, you get the card (I think in the mail)

I have heard of:
guys getting their card days after the interview
guys having NONE of their references called
guys having ALL of their references called

As for Jr's question..
I am applying for what's called a "residential" permit, sometimes called a target/hunting permit.
There are also:
Business
Peace Officer
Concealed
and another one I think I'm missing....

For a process that seemed daunting and intimidating at first, it seemed very laid back and no big deal when I went to drop it off. It had the same vibe as DMV
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:03 am

Ok, but why do you need this? What does it allow you to do? What is the purpose of this license?
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:37 am

You cannot purchase or possess a handgun here without going through this process and getting the license.
I'm pretty sure they wont even allow you to hold one at the counter of a shop unless you first provide the license.
Where are you that this is so foreign to you?

My intentions are to own one for the house and occasionally take it to the range to be proficient...that's it.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Slack Tide wrote:You cannot purchase or possess a handgun here without going through this process and getting the license.
I'm pretty sure they wont even allow you to hold one at the counter of a shop unless you first provide the license.
Where are you that this is so foreign to you?

My intentions are to own one for the house and occasionally take it to the range to be proficient...that's it.

Holy crap. I'm in Utah at the moment. The state that claims the 1911 as the state gun. I don't mean to be corny or to offend your state but what you told me about having a permit you have to wait for just seems so anti-American and so wrong that it really makes me feel bad. Just 2 weeks ago, I bought my wife a Glock 36 for Valentine's Day in just about 25 minutes. I filled out some papers, they ran a background check, swiped my Cabelas Visa, and I was out of there. I'm not sure if your state's process is doing good or whatever. In my state, I can think of one single shooting at a mall and it was stopped by a guy that had a concealed gun. The shooter had a backpack full of ammo and was looking to kill a ton of people. I know if a shooting happens at one of our colleges or schools, it will only last a few seconds because faculty and college students are allowed to conceal carry, and we put that into practice. It just outright blows my mind that a normal citizen has to go through so much waiting and through so many laws to get a tool to protect his or her own home and family. It truly saddens me. Now they want to tell us how, when, why, and exactly what we can use. Criminals get shipments of whatever they want. I know this was off topic but give me a break.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:51 pm

And I on the other hand find it bizarre that you can just walk into a Sports Authority and get a can of tennis balls, a pair of sneakers and a shotgun and they just swipe it at the register and say "have a nice day!"

What exactly do they DO for a background check?
Do you require an actual license at all? Or is it just a record of the guns you bought??
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:57 pm

They have you fill out all of your info on some papers: are you a criminal? Do you use drugs? And so on. Then they fax it over to someone to do the background check. They get back with you within 20 minutes to let you know if you're clear or have a bad record. If you lie, then you're in trouble. We haven't had problems with it yet. You need to provide ID and a state issued anything that shows your current address. The gun's serial numbers are recorded to your name, drivers ID, and address, you get put into the system, and you are on your way. As long as a criminal has been put into the system as a criminal, then they cannot get their gun. If they've been in trouble, a red flag comes up and the guy will not sell it to you.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Go glock or go home in a bag... All joking aside they are ugly, loosely made and not extremely accurate. That being said they are the Ak of the pistol world... you pick it up out of dirt mud etc rack a round in and it will go bang and keep cycling until empty. They are cheap reliable and have a high mag cap and tons of aftermarket parts to increase accuracy and ergonomics. I have seen only one fail in 10 years and it was due to a handload being overcharged detonating causing a $15 part to bend...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 pm

My old timer friend said one thing......
"Revolvers don't jam"

I guess that's about it then ha???
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Slack Tide wrote:My old timer friend said one thing......
"Revolvers don't jam"

I guess that's about it then ha???

Reading through the whole thing, i didn't see anyone mention a revolver. I only own revolvers. My Colt King Cobra is my favorite. I like shooting a gun that is reliable, accurate, and has stopping power. That gun is all 3, and more.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Well that's because I just had happy hour with my Old Timer friend......
I'll look into it...thanks
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum