Can You Tell Me About Kellogg Bloodlines?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Can You Tell Me About Kellogg Bloodlines?

Postby Maddog10 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:58 pm

So you guys may remember me posting a couple weeks ago about having luck with non-hunting bloodlines. Well at the time I was looking at picking up a free backyard bred puppy, but with some persuasion from the experts on here I continued my search and have come across what I think may be a potential winner.

The pup I'm looking at is a black male and a direct quote from the seller is that he comes from "Kellogg and Champion bloodlines." I contacted the woman personally and she told me that the father is from Kellogg bloodlines and has multiple points accrued. She also stated that the dam has not hunted but her pedigree has multiple champions from her grandmother back.

As you know, I'm new to the hunting dog scene so I was just hoping someone can lay this out in layman's terms for me. I tried doing some searching of Kellogg's bloodlines and came across a little bit, but I'm still not sure how great it really is, or if it is great at all. She is asking $400 for the males. I asked about health guarantees and she stated that she guarantees the pups for 48 hours to allow the buyer to have the dog checked by their personal veterinarian and if there are any issue she will take the pup back. This sort of raised a flag for me but she claims the reason for no hip/eye certifications are so she doesn't have to raise the prices on the pups. What do you guys think? I don't want to make a $400 mistake here but if everything is as she says it could be a good dog for the price, right? Talk to me fellas... Thanks.
Maddog10
hunter

Re: Can You Tell Me About Kellogg Bloodlines?

Postby copterdoc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Run away.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Personally, I say pass. I'm not expert at all but the 48 hour guarantee is a crock. The whole, I don't check health clearances to save YOU the buyer money is also BS. Where are you located at? How far are you willing to travel for a pup?
cn44
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Not sure if you've checked out RTF yet or not but here is the link to their classified labs section. http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... ab-Puppies

Many great breedings listed there and contact info for the breeders. Maybe while contacting some breeders ask if they know of any litters within your price range. A lot of people are willing to help even if their pups aren't of interest to you.
cn44
hunter

Postby Maddog10 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Haven't checked that site yet cn44. I appreciate it. :thumbsup:... I'm located in Western Kentucky and would be willing to travel roughly 300 miles one way for the right dog.
Maddog10
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:56 am

No hips, no elbows, no eyes certifications? That should be a minimum that you are looking for in health clearances! As well, at least one parent should have been tested and clear for CNM and EIC (we ensure all of these clearances have been done on our breedings) As well, most breeders will offer a 24-26 month guarantee as this allows you to have your dogs hips checked as hips cannot be certified until your dog is 24 months old.

Are the titles in the pedigree using the "CH" title .... if so, this is a show champion and therefore not referring to any field titles. These dogs "may" hunt, but they have not proven it in the field and if she's telling you that these titles prove working performance, they are not.

Don't rush into this! That can be a hard pill to swallow when you are in the "looking for a puppy" mindset! Hang on, save a few more bucks and find a litter WITH health clearances and some field titles - FC, AFC, FTCH, AFTCH, HRCH, MHR, MH, etc in the pedigree. You want the pup to be around for a long time and be able to successfully train for hunting, so you want to start off with the best pup you can afford!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 am

Maddog - guess something that came to mind from your post and looking at pups/talking to a breeder...if the breeder can't provide the pedigrees to you in an email 90% of the time, you probably don't want a dog from them. Alternatively, a link to the pedigrees through a decent website would be OK if it's backed up in paper before you buy.

If someone can't give you either, run.

If you get either - post them here if asking what folks think. It's easier and you'll get more detail on the input.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby TCFarmer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:09 am

A quick bing search revealed that Kellogg is a pointing lab name and several kennels have websites pointing to Kellogg lines.

That being said I wouldn't buy a dog from a breeder that didn't do OFA to save me money. Sure the puppy is cheaper now, but you can probably find the dog you want for a couple hundred more. At the very least you will have the peace of mind that goes with the health certs being there.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:47 am

I've come to almost hate the nebulous term of 'Champion Bloodlines'. It almost always unravels to be something not true to working dogs, 1/2 true to either, or 1 dog 5 gens back that was an FC but no meat on the bones in the last 4 generations.

Also don't like human/dog genetic comparisons but for ease of use it's simpler sometimes.

My maternal Grandfather and his brother - my great Uncle were highly accomplished individuals in the field of Science and off-the-charts smart by birth. and not just 'scientifically' Where they excelled - I have absolutely ZERO capacity or even interest.

Only 3 generations back and no comparison between us from those 'solid' traits. Dogs aren't much different.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby verg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:38 pm

A little history: I was personal friends with Old Mayo Kellogg. He ran a kennel here in my state near Madison, SD. He is one of the forefathers of the pointing lab. My father and I got to know him very well in 80s-90's as my father ran a printing business and we would trade pups for his printing of letterheads, brochures etc. He was a wonderful man and forgot more about dogs than most people on this site know. These years however, weren't huge into trials and test etc like it has exploded as of late. None of his dogs had any titles etc. Although numerous ones won hunting competitions. One of my dogs is a half kellogg dog now and my father still has one of his last full blood dogs. They point like a setter, naturally retrieve like crazy, are great looking old style labs and are the nicest dogs you can find. Old Mayo died about 10-12yrs ago or so? His kennel went with it. I have several of his articles that he wrote for outdoorlife and other hunting mags. He was famous for being a kind of a dog whisperer and one of few who bred and knew how to train pointing labs. Today, he would probably be bashed because it seems that most dog people bash a lab that isn't loaded with titles. I have lots of experience with dogs and will stand by this no matter what..Kelloggs dogs were OUTSTANDING animals. He always told me he bred them to be healthy, family members that would hunt like crazy. That is what they did. I don't think you'll find many with true kellogg lines. Might have some in pedigree yrs back but nothing of recent so don't listen to the phrase "kellogg lines."
verg
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Real Labs know that pointing is rude.

And oh yeah, they're also BLACK!
copterdoc
hunter

Postby buckwild » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Old post, but my pup turns 1 next week. Her mother is from Kellogg bloodlines. She is doing very well for me. I had her off for 3 months and the trainer was very impressed with her as well. How much of that has to to with Kellogg bloodlines I am not sure, Either way I am lucky to have her.
buckwild
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:29 am

buckwild wrote:Old post, but my pup turns 1 next week. Her mother is from Kellogg bloodlines. She is doing very well for me. I had her off for 3 months and the trainer was very impressed with her as well. How much of that has to to with Kellogg bloodlines I am not sure, Either way I am lucky to have her.
verg wrote:A little history: I was personal friends with Old Mayo Kellogg. He ran a kennel here in my state near Madison, SD. He is one of the forefathers of the pointing lab. My father and I got to know him very well in 80s-90's as my father ran a printing business and we would trade pups for his printing of letterheads, brochures etc. He was a wonderful man and forgot more about dogs than most people on this site know. These years however, weren't huge into trials and test etc like it has exploded as of late. None of his dogs had any titles etc. Although numerous ones won hunting competitions. One of my dogs is a half kellogg dog now and my father still has one of his last full blood dogs. They point like a setter, naturally retrieve like crazy, are great looking old style labs and are the nicest dogs you can find. Old Mayo died about 10-12yrs ago or so? His kennel went with it. I have several of his articles that he wrote for outdoorlife and other hunting mags. He was famous for being a kind of a dog whisperer and one of few who bred and knew how to train pointing labs. Today, he would probably be bashed because it seems that most dog people bash a lab that isn't loaded with titles. I have lots of experience with dogs and will stand by this no matter what..Kelloggs dogs were OUTSTANDING animals. He always told me he bred them to be healthy, family members that would hunt like crazy. That is what they did. I don't think you'll find many with true kellogg lines. Might have some in pedigree yrs back but nothing of recent so don't listen to the phrase
"kellogg lines."

Interestingly, I owned a black male Labrador out of the Mayo Kellog line having aquired him in May of 1983. At no time did I ever see any form of a natural "pointing" behavior exhibited by that dog. I trained him personally using methods advocated by Richard Wolters (that being a very popular method of the day). The dog was a beautiful looking Lab, wasa great gundog on waterfowl, pheasant, and woodcock, and lived to be 14 years old with relatively few real health related problems. As I recall, I paid around $600 for him at the time and we are speaking over 30 years ago. On top of all that, he lived in our home and was a wonderful family companion dog.

Maybe the fact that he was born on St.Patrick's Day was a good omen. :thumbsup:

As for buying a dog without health clearances and papers for the cause of saving money? I say run and run fast. Money saved now could turn into a financial black hole in veterinary costs and an emotional drain brought on by health related problems that can be avoided by going with lines having the right stuff genetically and proper health clearances. Do yourself and the breed a favor, in general, avoid "backyard breeders" and even more so those that will not provide health clearances and registered litters. JMHO.

Good luck in your search mate, there are plently of great breeders out there with super lines. More money paid up front now will likely be your better investment all the way around.

Cheers,
irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:31 am

Run away quickly!

That being said if you follow the same rules with backyard breeders all of the health certs and hunting/titled parents (not just grandparents preferably siblings too) then you can get great deals on puppies raised in home around children with lots of other nice "backyard" qualities.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby berudd » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:27 am

copterdoc wrote:Run away.

I was about to ask why until I got to the part in the OP post about the lack of any sort of health guarantee. I agree and not only for your individual risk but to not reward what may be irresponsible breeding. It may not be but with out the health certs is raises the possibility. I would just not want to encourage this activity. Given what you will spend in the dog's health, training and other needs in the first year doubling the initial price of the dog does not impact the overall cost.
berudd
hunter

Postby berudd » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:30 am

Maddog10 wrote:Haven't checked that site yet cn44. I appreciate it. :thumbsup:... I'm located in Western Kentucky and would be willing to travel roughly 300 miles one way for the right dog.

What part? I grew in in Henderson and my parents live in Cadiz.

EDIT: I just realized this was a resurected thread and the OP is probably off drinking bourbon trying to fend off the West KY winter. :thumbsup:
berudd
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum