Woodie Decoys

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Woodie Decoys

Postby jrg_80 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:13 pm

I've got a public hole that I've hunted the past couple of years and can go there and know I'm going to get some woodies, my question is is it worth getting woodie decoys? The reason I'm asking is that I've read several articles that calling woodies is a waste of time and if they want to be there then they are coming PERIOD.... Well that raises the question on decoys as well,.. end of season and decoys are on sale so I was kicking around throwing a dozen woodies into the collection, or save the $ continue to throw a few wigeon and teal in the hole like I have been and move on

jrg
jrg_80
hunter

Re: Woodie Decoys

Postby Skeet123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 pm

If you have a mojo you could use just that. I usually put out a couple of woodies though. Like you said if you are where the woodies want to be you should be in good shape. Around were I hunt we only have them for a couple of weeks.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Mojos work good with them i think. They will either dump into the decoys doin back flips with no hesitation or they want nothing to do with you, they are just strange like that. I have some woodie decoys given to me and the only diffrence i have noticed is that if you want them to land in a certain spot decoys help. They focous on the decoys and will land with them if they want to be there and if you dont use woodie decoys then they just land where ever they can in the spread. Not really a big diffrence maker IMO
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:35 am

I usually only use a pair of woodie dekes at a time. Just something for them to look at. I have started putting mine actually in the brush and it seems to be working better that way. They will land in open water but will swim into the thick stuff as soon as they are on the water. At least that's how they are around here. I wouldn't go and buy a dozen woodie blocks. But a 1/2 dozen can't hurt.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Duckbling12 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:40 am

I wouldn't worry with em... if you know your'e going to kill then why bother with more decoys to lag around... JMO
Duckbling12
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:13 am

i hunt almost nothing but woodies here in ga and decoys help with getting the woodies close or if you are pass shooting woodies it will get them to drop just below the tree line to get a better look. and mojos are hit or miss. we found out this year the some of the woodies we were targeting did not like the mojo if you were less the 100yrds from the roost but if you were farther away the mojo worked wonders with them.

also with decoys and you are hunting a spot that is similar to flooded timber get a woodie call and learn how to make some sitting woodie sounds and you can call them to you that away but if they are flying it is very hard. singles are not as hard as a group.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:47 am

If you're just going after woodies and you know that's mainly what you are going to kill just get a quiver magnet and 2-3 woody decoys. It's less of a pain to drag in and will work better than any other setup. Here's some proof that it works if you need it :thumbsup:
Attachments
1,,1.jpg
151065_168527889847691_100000714420453_384222_1460987_n.jpg
duckman27
hunter

Postby neon58 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:13 pm

Duckman 27 is spot on about the quiver magnet. That or something like that such as the homemade weasel ball decoy or jerk string are very effective just like other ducks but the woodies usually don't mess around if they are coming its gonna be in a hurry and its gonna be right on the ripples the monition decoy makes. I also use woodduck dekes and a mojo or two but definitely start easing up on the mono after the first 2-3 days of season if woodducks are the main target. I actually prefer the quiver magnet or weasel ball over jerk string for woodies just because they can be in on you so fast. As far as calling them they certainly can be called you just aren't going to with that squeal you usually hear out of them you need to make the noises you hear when you hear them loafing in the brush. I cant begin to describe all the whines and whistles little clucks they make. After hunting ducks for 35 years I heard one make a sound I had never heard before. Seen an owl nail one on the water and and if I wouldn't have seen and heard it I would have swore someone turned a electronic call with a dying rabbit on it. I have seen eagles hawks owls all take ducks before including woodies but I have never heard one do that before. :beer:
neon58
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:30 pm

I agree with some of the other guys...a Mojo (Mallard, Gadwall, Teal, or Wood Duck, it doesn't really matter) will do wonders. I would also throw a few (3-6) Greenhead Gear Wood Duck decoys on a jerk string.
mayhem96
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting