"Exotic" Woods for duck calls?

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

"Exotic" Woods for duck calls?

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:24 pm

I am trying to pick out some cool looking woods to turn some barrels out of and want some suggestions...

So far I am looking at:
African Padauk
Movingue
Eucalyptus Figured
Paldao

I'm looking for something with really atractive grains and either a light wood tone or bright colors.

Any suggestions?
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Re: "Exotic" Woods for duck calls?

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:00 am

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I am trying to pick out some cool looking woods to turn some barrels out of and want some suggestions...

So far I am looking at:
African Padauk
Movingue
Eucalyptus Figured
Paldao

I'm looking for something with really atractive grains and either a light wood tone or bright colors.

Any suggestions?

I'm lucky enough to have a place in town that specializes in exotic woods, its called Cook's Woods, and I believe the majority of their sales are online. Anyways I'll go down there and cruise the isles looking for something new or talk to the owner for recommendations. Here are some I've worked with:
Black and white ebony
African blackwood (very hard, but polishes up like glass)
Camatillo (lots of purple shades with some yellow mixed in)
Verra wood (one of my favorites, yellow when you turn it, then turns green when exposed to sun light)
purple heart
Red heart
Bocote
And the one I haven't made myself cough up the money to try, but really like the figure in it is - snake wood.
uploadfromtaptalk1360475941987.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1360475995437.jpg
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:01 am

Forgot the one in the center is tulip wood

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby jcz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:48 am

3leg, you sure are lucky to be so close to Cook woods. I have drooled over their website a few times.

BTW that tulipwood is nice. I've made some turkey pot calls from it. One of my favorites to work with.
jcz
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks!
Those calls look awesome!

What are the Purple Heart, Verra Wood and Tulip Wood barrels sound qualities like?
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:01 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Thanks!

What are the Purple Heart, Verra Wood and Tulip Wood barrels sound qualities like?

I would say the tulip is the softest of the 3 and its still pretty dense. I think they all have good tonal qualities. I try to only use woods that the owner at cook woods says are in musical instruments for their sound qualities.

3legged_lab
hunter

Re:

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:10 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Thanks!

I would say the tulip is the softest of the 3 and its still pretty dense. I think they all have good tonal qualities. I try to only use woods that the owner at cook woods says are in musical instruments for their sound qualities.

Thanks for the info!

Here is a good website to use a resource for what woods are used for musical instruments.
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/paldao.html
Each wood has a a section called "some typical uses"
I couldn't find the some of the ones you mentioned on there, but there are quite a few others.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Dallashunter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:26 pm

i make lacrosse sticks out of wood, and some of the woods i always thought had a great color after being stained is ash and walnut, ash has a lot of different swirls in it and walnut just has such a rich dark color, it isn't exotic but it would probably look very good!
Dallashunter
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting