Hybrid Mallard Black Duck?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Hybrid Mallard Black Duck?

Postby nomercywaterfowl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:23 pm

I am curious to yall's opinion on a mallard black duck hybrid. We killed a mallard hen and a banded mallard drake and a regular mallard drake out of one flock. and then the what we think is a hybrid came in and locked up by itself then I shot it. Its body is a little bit darker in plumage than a regular mallard hen and the bill is similar to a black duck, being olive green and black in appearance, the speculum has a thinner and shorter white stripe with a purplish tint. The mallard hen had a bright blue with thicker white stripes on the speculum. I attached a mallard black duck hybrid picture from the internet as well

What we think was the hybrid is the one on the far side of the log and the left on the tailgate.
Attachments
photo (3).JPG
photo (2).PNG
photo (1).PNG
nomercywaterfowl
Newb

Postby blackduck_killer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:57 pm

It could be although the second picture makes me really wonder how many generations back it has black duck ancestory and if there needs to be a cut off before they're referred to as mallards again
Last edited by blackduck_killer on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Re: Hybrid Mallard Black Duck?

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:03 pm

The beak in the first pic is definetly that of a black duck hen. Judging by the second pic, its hard to tell, but I dont even know why you'd call it a mallard.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:The beak in the first pic is definetly that of a black duck hen. Judging by the second pic, its hard to tell, but I dont even know why you'd call it a mallard.

I agree about the bill. And, though a little difficult to tell for sure, the head looks like it has the dark eye stripe of a black duck. The darker color is less of an indication, but a purple speculum with white barring would indicate a black/mallard cross.

We get lots of black ducks locally. We are only allowed one a day, but they are everywhere, especially this past year. However, most of the black ducks we kill are actually hybrids. The most tell tail sign is the white bars in the speculum. I've discussed this with a couple of ECOs and DEC biologists, and they all agree that white barring is an indication of cross breeding.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Frank we see the same here. Anymore we just call them blacks. I got a pair of real blacks a couple years ago and put them on the wall. Red legs and no white on the speculum. They have gotten to be pretty rare.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Frank we see the same here. Anymore we just call them blacks. I got a pair of real blacks a couple years ago and put them on the wall. Red legs and no white on the speculum. They have gotten to be pretty rare.

I remember reading somewhere that this was one of the problems with the black duck population decline. At the beginning of the twentieth century, mallards were verrrrry rare in the Atlantic flyway. Our large ducks were almost all blacks. As the mallard found its way east, the black duck decline started. No doubt that species displacement was part of it, but that a mallard drake will pretty much interbreed with anything that stays still long enough cannot be denied. I killed about a dozen blacks this past season. Only one of them showed the markings of a pure strain black. Most had the white barring on the speculum. However, one was a direct mallard cross, with more of a tendancy towards a mallard than a black. I also saw one that was basically a black duck with a green top on its head! He was a beauty.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby dylanb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:18 pm

so y'all think it is a black/mallard cross?
dylanb
Newb

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting