Blizzard 2013

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, HeritageHunter, JoeP, Tim D, MIKE J.

Blizzard 2013

Postby Baymen Moe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:57 pm

I have finally had a chance to sit down and relax. For those of you that don't know I work for the town of Duxbury in the Dept of Lands and Natural Resources. In my 15+ years here, I have never seen more damage caused by any storm, hurricane, nor'easter etc.. than this past weekends event. I remember 1978 as well, I was 13 and even though that was 35 years ago, I can remember that the tree damage was far less than this one.

I am fortunate to be in a house in Duxbury with power (my mother's), with my brother and his family. Our Pembroke homes are still without power. When I went to work on Friday, I never thought I wouldn't be going home until, well,...I'm still not at home.

After many ours of plowing, and many hours of running a chain saw, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope all you made it through without incident. My thanks to all the guys that work to restore power. If you are one of the complainers that says it takes to long to get your power back, you have no idea what it takes to get the job done.

C'mon SPRING!
Baymen Moe
hunter

Re: Blizzard 2013

Postby JTR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:02 am

We just got power back over night. I'm only 26, but I can't recall ever seeing so much damage from a storm. My neighborhood still beat up. Around the corner, there's a tree that ripped up 2 sections of power lines, which still obstruct half of the road. My neighbors and I had to cut trees and dig ourselves out of our road on Sunday, because the plows had to stop at the downed trees in the road. It didn't make sense to wait for the town, since there was literally no way out of our neighborhood.

I was fine without power.... but no heat and no hot water was a killer. I got a headache on Sunday night, just from trying to clean my hair before work. There is something about seeing your breathe in your living room that makes you appreciate electricity so much more. The only good thing was that we didn't lose any food, since our house was a crisp 38 degrees. I grabbed a banana off the kitchen table for breakfast on Sunday and it was frozen!

The sad thing is that I got home from work on Friday and instead of preparing for the storm, I was trying to figure out if there was a way that I could shoot geese. :yes:
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:27 am

This storm was bad but The Ice Storm of 5 years ago was far worse.

I went 15 days without power than additional 5 days at only 1/2 service (110 vs 220).

We lost 8 telephone poles on my road, and roads were impassable for 3 days. We also had a cold spell hit where temps were single digits for over a week.

I now have generator!
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:03 am

Glad to hear everyone is getting back to thier normal routine and is safe. I just got my electric back today. I purchased a generator in preperation for Hurricane Sandy but didnt need it then. So glad to have it for Nemo. I dont think it would have been that bad of a storm overall except for the warm temps at the start which made the snow sticky then followed by high winds made the trees snap like pencils. On the bright side the geese are back in the fields with this thaw. Good Luck.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby VaTailfeathers » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 am

Wow, I didn't realize you all got hit so hard. A few years ago we had a week without power in the winter. Lots of iced trees that fell all over the state. My hunting buddie across the street had a generator and I strung a power cord across the street. CArs drove over it, but it hung in there. Pulled the circuit breaker to the main electric line to the house to disconnect it to the grid in cse it should kick on, and plugged the cord into the house. Ran only the fridge and the gas furnace a few hours a day a few times a day. Kept it about 55 degrees more or less. My son thought it was cool to wear his winter clothes and boots all day in the house. He and hus buddy built an Igloo out of a bridge table and a white sheet. The Brittany and cocker were now huskies. Eventually my buddie borrowed a second generator and we had one running at our house and one at his. Neighbors werent so resourceful. I had an idea of taking the generator in a wheel barrel and offering to charge up their houses, but then thought again. They are a lot of yuppies who looked down at me as I did aoto mechanics in my driveway and made snotty comments to my wife about it. Thats ok, the deer butchering in the back yard, hanging from the tree, really sealed the deal.hehe. I figured these guys would sue my ass if I plugged them in and their computer didn't work a week later or something else. Screw it. Too risky with abnormal folks.
Dennis and I were eating soup and toasted cheese sammies in our front windows and they can suck a frozen egg. HAte to be that way, goes against my grain but you have to survive in this world. These were the same people who a few walked around the neighborhood with wine glasses in hand in the summer and asked my wife if she was " for hire " to do their gardening when she was out there with back pain on her hand and knees weeding our garden. Neauveau rich arsehules.
Ha, the guy across the street, blue collar construction guy, brought home from work, a diesel generator that could service a few houses. His house was all lit up, including Christmas lights. They looked down their noses at him for years too, cause he worked with his mind and his hands. Didn't matter that he was in charge of all the various pumps at the building of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge construction. What would he know?
I now live more rural and have a heat buddy, a kerosene heater in the shed, and at Harbor Freight, they have a round heater that fits on top of a BBQ propane tank on sale. Going to pick it up too . Have a generator too. Heck, H. Freight has them for 100 clams these days.
Good luck, sorry if I was rambling, just sharing a winter power outage story.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:25 am

i had nothing but powdery snow falling where im at so i didnt see many fallen trees/branches etc. you guys along the coast had it worse with the heavy stuff. luckily managed to keep power throughout, though the lights did flicker a few times.

well, i dont know about everybody else but i am ready for spring. i want to catch a mess of crappies, a few stocked trout, and hopefully fill my 2 turkey tags. i know theres more than two months to go, but i am already starting to count down.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:12 pm

FINALLY home, really for the first time since last Friday. No damage around the house. My son lost some tropical fish due to the power loss, which by the way came on sometime last night. Of course, without power for 5 days and no generator, I had to clean out the fridge and my meat freezer also had to be emptied. Unfortunately there was a fair amount of waterfowl in there :mad: .

Now I'm just trying to get the usual routine going again. But for tonight, Mr. Sam Adams and I will kick back and relax. :beer:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:17 pm

I wanted to give you folks a perspective of the damage done last weekend in Duxbury. These pictures were taken today. This pile is one day worth of clean up. The picture was taken at 11am. At 2pm it had grown by ten feet in height. The six recovery trucks are expected to be in town for 7 days. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: This is only what the trucks can reach from the road. The yards of homeowners are up to the homeowners themselves.

blizzard2013.JPG
[attachment=0]blizzard20132.JPG[/attachmen
Attachments
blizzard20132.JPG
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Wow, looks like that should be somewhere in Maine. Good luck Moe and let us know if you need any help. :beer:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SMSovis » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:40 am

I agree with MikeJ. If you didnt say where that pic was taken I would have guessed Maine.... Pretty big pile there.....
"Crime doesn't pay, and weasels finish last."
SMSovis
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting