Discussion-Why are Benelli's the benchmark for auto's

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Discussion-Why are Benelli's the benchmark for auto's

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 am

cootlover wrote:Slayer your like talking to a third grader. I said on the first post they came out with the most simplest design "KISS" Keep,It,Simple stupid :nana: and it works. Even the head guy at browning said he waited for the patent to run out to copy Benelli's design for the new A-5 that say's a lot right there. The best part about Benelli's are it get's under your skin that some people think there the best and you don't like them. love coot

Wrong!!!! All the discussions we've had in the blind you still can't prove that they are any better than any other gun. :no:
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Why start a "discussion" thread if all you're going to do is bash the gun/brand in the first place. That's not a discussion, it a which hunt. FWIW, I sold the things for almost 10 years. In that time, we sold more SBE II's than ANY retailer within 150 miles of my store. Know how many came back with issues? 2. That's TWO guns that had an actual problem that couldn't be fixed by the owner by NOT over lubricating the gun or messing with the bolt or not mounting the gun tight to their shoulders when they were firing light loads. those issues were fixed by the factory at zero cost to the owner. Know how many 11-87's I had to send back to remmington to get fixed in that same time period? AT LEAST 30. I remember when the SX 2 came out. I sold quite a few of them. Felt great to the shoulder, recoiled soft, and had to be cleaned about every 125 rounds of waterfowl ammo or it became a single shot. Gas guns certainly shoot soft. No contest there. Win over inertia guns every time there, but by how much? 10...15% at most? If you can't handle the sharp, snapping recoil of a 12 gauge high velocuty waterfowl load in an inertial driven gun, then I don't know what to tell you. I have owned Remmy's, Mossbergs, Beretta's, Winchesters and Benelli's. I liked and disliked them all in one fashion or another. Having been on the retail end of things, I saw more than just opinion and congecture when it comes to what you haters think and what the koolaide drinkers think. I have seen just what makes a gun a good piece and what makes a gun a piece of crap. I still own a few brands of shotguns, but you know which one comes out into the field with me virtually every time...rain or shine, snow, rain or ice? My SBEII because it fits me extremely well, I shoot it almost like it's part of me and it really does go BANG every single time I pull the trigger. One...ONE malfunction in 5 years and that was my fault for not following my own mantra with the gun and over lubing it when we were hunting in single digit, driving snow and ice. I took it apart in the field, wiped the excess lube out of it and it never burped again. Guys will hate what they hate and guys will love what they love. Is the SBE II the "benchmark" gun to which all others should be compared. Yes and of course no. It was the first trully streamlined inertial driven gun to hit the market and I'm sorry but the original A-5 is one ugly gun imo. That's just me though. Would I own one and shoot one? Hell yes I would! I have fired a couple hundred rounds through one and my uncle's A-5 Mag just plain works. Is the SBE II perfect? I would say no. There is always something that can be improved on ANY gun. If you think otherwise you are a fool. The trigger on the SBE II is nothing short of horrendous. The recoil pad NEEDS to be redesigned and the forearm just should not have as much play in it as it does. Are those deal breakers for me? Nope. It shoots where point it every time I pull the trigger. Works for me.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:03 pm

dsm16428 wrote:Why start a "discussion" thread if all you're going to do is bash the gun/brand in the first place. That's not a discussion, it a which hunt. FWIW, I sold the things for almost 10 years. In that time, we sold more SBE II's than ANY retailer within 150 miles of my store. Know how many came back with issues? 2. That's TWO guns that had an actual problem that couldn't be fixed by the owner by NOT over lubricating the gun or messing with the bolt or not mounting the gun tight to their shoulders when they were firing light loads. those issues were fixed by the factory at zero cost to the owner. Know how many 11-87's I had to send back to remmington to get fixed in that same time period? AT LEAST 30. I remember when the SX 2 came out. I sold quite a few of them. Felt great to the shoulder, recoiled soft, and had to be cleaned about every 125 rounds of waterfowl ammo or it became a single shot. Gas guns certainly shoot soft. No contest there. Win over inertia guns every time there, but by how much? 10...15% at most? If you can't handle the sharp, snapping recoil of a 12 gauge high velocuty waterfowl load in an inertial driven gun, then I don't know what to tell you. I have owned Remmy's, Mossbergs, Beretta's, Winchesters and Benelli's. I liked and disliked them all in one fashion or another. Having been on the retail end of things, I saw more than just opinion and congecture when it comes to what you haters think and what the koolaide drinkers think. I have seen just what makes a gun a good piece and what makes a gun a piece of crap. I still own a few brands of shotguns, but you know which one comes out into the field with me virtually every time...rain or shine, snow, rain or ice? My SBEII because it fits me extremely well, I shoot it almost like it's part of me and it really does go BANG every single time I pull the trigger. One...ONE malfunction in 5 years and that was my fault for not following my own mantra with the gun and over lubing it when we were hunting in single digit, driving snow and ice. I took it apart in the field, wiped the excess lube out of it and it never burped again. Guys will hate what they hate and guys will love what they love. Is the SBE II the "benchmark" gun to which all others should be compared. Yes and of course no. It was the first trully streamlined inertial driven gun to hit the market and I'm sorry but the original A-5 is one ugly gun imo. That's just me though. Would I own one and shoot one? Hell yes I would! I have fired a couple hundred rounds through one and my uncle's A-5 Mag just plain works. Is the SBE II perfect? I would say no. There is always something that can be improved on ANY gun. If you think otherwise you are a fool. The trigger on the SBE II is nothing short of horrendous. The recoil pad NEEDS to be redesigned and the forearm just should not have as much play in it as it does. Are those deal breakers for me? Nope. It shoots where point it every time I pull the trigger. Works for me.

Good post. :thumbsup: The only thing i disagree with is that I'm bashing Benelli, I don't like them but I've been keeping an open mind. My M2 was not on par with the the majority Benelli's that people use, would I buy another one? Possible if it fit me like a glove but it wouldn't be my first choice. As far as the X2 I agree that after about 125 shells they get dirty, mine has never jammed once but it does slow down around that number of shells. And like your SBEII my X2 and X3 both shoot where I point them and go boom. They work for me.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:24 pm

IMO, dsm16428 and Cannon have been spot on with their comments on this thread.

Last season, I took the MI most of the time with the AL390 making a couple trips and the NOVA one time out when I wasn't toting a 16 gauge.

It flat points well and that makes a huge difference in birds brought to hand plus, it tends to shoot most every time the trigger is slapped. The SuperSport is the one Benelli that (IMO) out-points all other Benelli's and I have even taken it to the blind a few times in the past. Am sure those greenheads lying on the floor felt safe as no true duck hunter would be caught in the field with such a silver & black contraption.

Is Benelli the benchmark?

No, the A-5 & 1100 are for their respective operating systems as the sheer numbers produced and length of service record are the only "benchmarks" that matter.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Publiclandduckslayer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:14 pm

I bought an SBE2 last summer and it is by far the best gun I have ever owned, shouldered, and shot. The only problem Ive ever had with it is I had the action to dry once and it would'nt cycle about every 3rd shell. I hunted 40 days last year in South Arkansas public flooded timber. Shot 300 rounds through it, and it never missed a lick. Cleaned it about every 10 hunts. I shoot 3" drylocks with a Kicks High flyer Full, and that is a deadly combination i tell you. Great gun. Would recommend it to anybody!! :smile:
Smoke em' if you got em'
Publiclandduckslayer
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:23 am

I own both Beretta and Benelli.

I choose HK, SBE's and M1's over all all because of the following:

Easiest to clean.
Weight.

That's it.

Have always heard about the Benelli "click", have only ever experienced it once and it was after dropping the butt of the gun on the floor of the boat, so I knew it was probably coming.

Have run an HK M1 for 17 years without issue.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 am

I bought my first and only 12ga Benelli, a HK imported SBE the second or third year they were available in this country and just finished another season with it:

Liked it so well I bought my first and only 20ga Benelli, a HK imported Montefeltro intended for upland game, that same year, but I came to favor it for my duck hunting, too:

If something were to happen to either of them, I haven't seen anything in my twenty-eight seasons of guiding full time that would make me want anything else, other than replacing the 3 1/2" 12ga with a 3" 12ga Benelli or the 20ga Montefeltro with a synthetic stocked 20ga Benelli.

Doesn't bother me at all that others see it differently, just offering why Benellis have become my "benchmark for autos": my experience.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:36 pm

That's a cool pic with your dog, specks and gun. :thumbsup:
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 am

Thank you, duckslayer74. They're a combination that seems particularly "right" to me.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Rick,

I totally respect your opinion on this and would offer that the 1950 vintage A-5 (killed my first duck in 11/1967 w/it) I inherited has become my "benchmark" semi-auto shotgun. I can only hope the H&K MI (given to me by a client) will hold up to my A-5's service record as I really like the way she points & shoots.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:17 pm

Rick, how did your gun get that dirty?
troutman561
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:37 am

Yuchi1 wrote:Rick,

I totally respect your opinion on this and would offer that the 1950 vintage A-5 (killed my first duck in 11/1967 w/it) I inherited has become my "benchmark" semi-auto shotgun. I can only hope the H&K MI (given to me by a client) will hold up to my A-5's service record as I really like the way she points & shoots.

Fwiw, our camp's owner was a Belgium Browning guy all of his life (shot steel through full chokes and never bulged a barrel) who took great pleasure teasing Benelli shooters about their "spaghetti guns" until a wealthy client gave him the SBE he's shot ever since. So perhaps you'll feel the same. Having never owned an A-5, I've no basis for personal comparison other than with problematic ones I worked on or shot while their owners shot my gun, so I never got caught up in the romance of their tradition or learned to get past disliking the recoil action. Please know, though, that my Benellis haven't been without their own problems. Use yours enough and its parts will wear out like anything else mechanical. Had to replace triggers, hammers and their pins in both this year as the points where they hinge finally became worn enough they were starting to hang-fire an instant. (Makes one pay attention to follow-through.) And other used up parts have also been replaced along the way. Other than normal wear, however, mine have been remarkably maintenance free.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 am

troutman561 wrote:Rick, how did your gun get that dirty?

When not in use, my guns generally sit next to the dog:

And he shakes off after every wet retrieve. So when his job is dirty, the gun's is, too.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:50 am

Thanks Rick for the pics , both looked well used . I really like the brown one the best ,even though the natural camo one
seems to be the oldest I have a passion for curly hair with a smile !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Top was during last season's high water, when he got rinsed before coming up the front ramp. Bottom photo was from the dry season before, when there was no real pond to rinse him:
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:35 am

Beretta vs Benelli...... Well they are the same company so shouldn't be any hate from one owner vs the next
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Beretta owns benelli that don't make them the same gun far from it .
cootlover
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:39 am

cootlover wrote:Beretta owns benelli that don't make them the same gun far from it .

Triggers are very similar. Compare them to other brands . They are closer than you think. Well, minus the gas vs inertia . Lol well , lets say quality is close :-)
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:27 am

I wouldnt say the Benelli is the benchmark but they are my favorite shotgun. I have other makes of shotguns which I also enjoy shooting but I have a Hk SBE and two M1s. All of which I bought used. No problems ever with the SBE but both M1s each had a problem due to the previous owners neglect. After I corrected their neglect, they performed just fine there after.
The first time I went into a gunstore and held a Benelli years ago, I knew it was the gun for me because no other shotgun has that feel and balance. For me, its just the perfect shotgun. It gives me a certain pleasure to shoot it that no other shotgun can give me. My main handload is 2 3/4" as I dont really need its ability to shoot 3.5" shells.
The Benelli is just my own preferrence which certainly doesnt make it the best gun for anyone else. The Benelli is for me but not because someone else shoots one. My son on the other hand owns a M1 but its not his favorite. He prefers his BPS with Hastings Wadlock barrel.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum