Unisex Duck?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Unisex Duck?

Postby Pintail65 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Ok so i was going through some pictures i have of some wood ducks and noticed a drake that looked very odd, he had drake body markings, a green head with the white markings and the red breast with the white flakes, but what was so strange is that he has no color on his bill. His bill is colored like a hen wood duck! He also has a big white patch around his eye just like a hen, and also has the yellow eyelid instead of a red one. I am so puzzled by this duck.. I didnt have good pictures of him i only had two with him in it and he is behind other ducks in both pictures and i was zoomed out taking a whole flock picture so the quality isnt the best, i am very mad i didnt notice him while i was taking the pictures otherwise i would have been focusing on him. Has anyone else ever seen or heard of a duck like this that shows both markings of each sex of a species? I am very curious as to wondering if it would be the one doing the mating or the one laying the eggs..

Heres one of the pictures i took of him, he is the one on the right behind the hen mallard compare him to the normal drake wood duck on the left

Pintail65
hunter

Re: Unisex Duck?

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:35 pm

I'd maybe post this in the Taxidermy forum and ask. Pat "The Waterfowler" is an expert when it comes to identifying any kind of duck breed or mutation. Did you recently take pictures of this? Have you seen a mandarin drake yet? A small flock of about 8 drakes and a few hens are hanging around central Utah.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pintail65 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 pm

No drakes yet but one other hen. This picture is recent
Pintail65
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:21 am

I couldn't help you out much, but he looks really neat! If he comes into your decoy spread I assume he (or she) will be goin down!
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:09 am

What ever is going on with it, it sure is a cool looking bird. Nice pic... :thumbsup:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 pm

My taxidermist has a unisex hooded merg. It is really small has a grey hen body but has drake markings on its back and has a big white hood on its head. It clearly is a hen though :huh:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Pintail65 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:19 pm

You sure it isnt just a young drake hooded? Hooded merganser drakes arent full plumage till there second year?
Pintail65
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:24 pm

No its an older bird. Its hard to explain what it looks like because i have never seen one before. It has a solid brownish grey body like a hen, even the under belly but it has white and black stripes across its back and has almost a perfect drake hood but a bright red bill. I will see if he still has it next time im up there and take a pic, might be a while though. He said it is a uni sex bird, he cleaded it and it was a female but it had hen and drake color paterns with the drake more dominate.

Im willing to bet thats what you have there but a wooduck instead of a hoodie. It has characteristics of both male and female.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:20 pm

I know old mallard hens will begin to get drake plumage. Don't know it that happens with other species or not but that might be what you merg is. But that is a cool looking woodduck. I would guess some kind of hybrid or mutation though...not unisex.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Pintail65 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:29 am

Well thats cool i think a unisex hooded would be an awesome bird! It would be cool to see a pic you could get one. I have never heard of this before or seen it until i took this picture of this woody. I have gone back several times trying to spot it again but i cant..... I am pretty positive this is a unisex duck and not a hybrid. It has no other characteristics of any other species of duck. It has distinct characteristics of a hen and drake wood duck only. Drake wood duck body but with a hen bill and eyes. I know its not the best picture but im positive its a pure wood duck. It would be a very interesting bird to catch and study. It could be a strange mutation that makes them unisex but like i said ive never seen or heard of this before. I have been trying to spot this bird again i actually went today but couldnt find it, I did however spot a mexican mallard and got a couple pics of him
Pintail65
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Its really cool no matter what it is.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:43 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:Definatly all Wood duck, but without being able to see the pockets it is hard to tell if it is a post-breeding hen, i.e. one producing both estrogen and testosterone, or a mutation. Picture suggests some melanism, but it may be the poor light. The bill and white eye ring is henish in coloration and may well be a xxy chrosomal or aged hen. Smooth feathers suggest the latter as most xxy birds are scruffy looking. Neat looking bird.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=96960&start=325

I thought I'd ask Pat. There's a pretty good answer there. He would be the one to know.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pintail65 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:08 am

Awesome! It was a stormy day and and not good lighting at all. I also cropped the picture so the quality got worse. You can see a a tiny bit of the side pocket feathers right under the hen mallards bill and a white tip right where the hen mallards neck and body come together. It has drake sidepockets

Heres the orignal photo with the unisex woody on the right
Pintail65
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 am

Wow, there are quite a few wood ducks left. I'm very glad to see this after some of the pictures I saw posted in the Utah forum of 2 or 3 guy limits of them. Be sure and keep this spot a secret.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 pm

In the first picture (zoomed in) it looks kinda like there's another in the back.... Maybe it's just me. :huh:
Ga ducker
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting