Duck Hunting Forum banner

Is quickdraw really that bad?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  BigMuddy 
#1 ·
What is the reasons some of you hate the quickdraw?

#2 ·
Well I'll have to give you an answer with next year . I had a limited hunting last season and only tried QD once at EB and got drawn, so I'm a 100% right now . I'm going to try and triple my duck hunting trips next year and probally try a third of them at at EB thru the QD . So after trying about 15 times I'll see how it goes and if I like it.

#3 ·
Three years putting in for QD every day. One reservation in the first year, late in the season when there were 4 inches of ice for a couple weeks, and only a hundred or so folks entered that day. Last pill in the box, for added insult. Nothing since. Also 0 for 3 with the preseason draw during that time, so I'm a reservation hater in general. I'm not 100% sure that MDC hasn't blacklisted me, as I'm kind of DONE trying to change their mind with friendly letters and phone calls. I'm island shopping now.

But quite honestly, I hated it as soon as MDC said they were going to implement it with ZERO public input, especially since my part of the state was going to get HOSED by this system.

It's simple chicken. If you've got other good options to poorline, you probably don't care either way. If you've got good private land, or get to hunt the "club" regularly, then you're going to LOVE quickdraw. If neither of those apply, then you're going to hate it. And if you live in the center of the state, that hate will be magnified 10x.

Are there exceptions to the above paragraph? Sure. But there aren't very many. I could probably count them on one hand... if it wasn't for that GED problem I've got. :biggrin:

#4 ·
Quick Draw as it SHOULD be is not that bad, it SHOULD be a replacement for the reservation system where drawings are held twice per week for available spots on most if not all CA's that offer duck hunting. As it is, in its current form with 80% QD and 20% Poor Line at only 3 areas, it's definitely a bit unfair. Not just to guys that live right near the affected CA's but the fact that we have 3 systems in place, QD, Every Member Draws, and Single Draw. I was 0-60 for the first year 2 for 60 the second year and 2 for 60 the 3rd year on getting QD. Still hunted QD areas as a poor liner several times but it does change the risk factor significantly. Hoping eventually MDC realizes the right move is to take all of them to QD, give 60 to 65% to the draw and the rest poorline. That would have their stated intended affect of giving everyone a chance, giving more hunters a guaranteed hunting spot to avoid wasted trips etc, and improve chances in the poor line and on the quick draw everywhere because it would spread out applications rather than have everyone apply for only 3 areas every day. Otherwise I'm in for Drummo's idea, hell with reservations of any kind and just do a poor line draw everyday

#5 ·
There have been dozens of threads and hundreds if not thousands of posts on this in the past 3 years. You can look at the past threads and read for days and get everyone's opinions on it, or get everyone to post the same things again. If you are really interested in everyone's comments you can check out the first 43 pages of this search http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/search.php?keywords=qd+quick+draw ,or ask everone to post them again. I honestly believe that most here are tired of arguing about it and those who don't post about it are tired of hearing about it. For that reason, I'm not putting up my feelings on the subject because I already have dozens of times and everyone that has been here for any length of time at all knows them and the rest can find them in the above link. That said, everyone carry on! :thumbsup:

Personally, I think it is a blantant attempt to

Attachments

#8 ·
870shooter said:
There have been dozens of threads and hundreds if not thousands of posts on this in the past 3 years. You can look at the past threads and read for days and get everyone's opinions on it, or get everyone to post the same things again. If you are really interested in everyone's comments you can check out the first 43 pages of this search http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/search.php?keywords=qd+quick+draw ,or ask everone to post them again. I honestly believe that most here are tired of arguing about it and those who don't post about it are tired of hearing about it. For that reason, I'm not putting up my feelings on the subject because I already have dozens of times and everyone that has been here for any length of time at all knows them and the rest can find them in the above link. That said, everyone carry on! :thumbsup:

Personally, I think it is a blantant attempt to
I concur, nothing more than blantant pot **** stirring.
Or maybe it's a bad case of ADHD..........

#9 ·
Well after seeing qd in action for three years and witnessing over 100+ days of it in action I have changed the way I think about it. The first year I was turned away from the poor line 5 times out of 43 times and had 2 quickdraws myself. Second year turned away 3 times out of 47 times and had 3 quickdraws myself. Third year turned away 6 times out 45 times and was not drawn for a quickdraw. I like the 80/20 split seemed to actually cut the numbers of people showing up for the draw. Well atleast compared to the 90's and 00's I remember many days back then there were twice as many parties trying to draw. There is only one thing I would like to see changed which is to see it implemented to all draw areas. That way there is better chances of drawing in to your preffered area. Kinda like learn2hide said but keep the 80/20 split. I just don't see where some people are coming from when they say they can't draw in like they used to.

#10 ·
Swamp, I have also had pretty good luck getting drawn in at QD and non QD areas. QD has changed the dynamics of the draw for the worse but like its always been, "weather days" and weekends are always going to be tough to draw. I think MDC has made some errors with QD and how it was/is presented, discussed... but I don't believe it to be the root of all evil. At the end of the day, they have to allocate spots somehow, and if guys don't like the CA's with a drawing they can hunt public ground where its first come first serve. Definitely don't like the old reservation because I haven't gotten one in 9 seasons...one drawing in September is a pretty crazy way to allocate spots in December...but I recognize there are issues with the way it currently runs that affect people in various parts of the state differently

#12 ·
swampchicken said:
Well after seeing qd in action for three years and witnessing over 100+ days of it in action I have changed the way I think about it. The first year I was turned away from the poor line 5 times out of 43 times and had 2 quickdraws myself. Second year turned away 3 times out of 47 times and had 3 quickdraws myself. Third year turned away 6 times out 45 times and was not drawn for a quickdraw. I like the 80/20 split seemed to actually cut the numbers of people showing up for the draw. Well atleast compared to the 90's and 00's I remember many days back then there were twice as many parties trying to draw. There is only one thing I would like to see changed which is to see it implemented to all draw areas. That way there is better chances of drawing in to your preffered area. Kinda like learn2hide said but keep the 80/20 split. I just don't see where some people are coming from when they say they can't draw in like they used to.
Troll on chicken, Troll on. Have you not noticed that for the most part nobody is taking your bait?

Earlier you called me "stupid" to depend on draw areas for hunting and now you claim that you yourself have attempted to draw 135 times out of 180 days available. This amounts to attempting to draw every single week day of all three seasons. I'm glad you don't "depend" on draw areas. You also claim to have drawn out 121 out of 135 attempts. 89.6% success rate. I would never doubt your word, but hey, would you mind picking me up a few Powerball tickets?

Troll on. It's your right! :thumbsup:

I sure miss Moneymaker :lol3:

#13 ·
870 like I would really listen to a guy that only hunted ducks three days according to an earlier post by you! Doesn't sound like you have very much experience with being at quickdraw areas. And for your information the less pressure I put on my Missouri private duck holes the better they are. If I don't get in I go there and have excellent hunts. Pressure management is key to private spots. Some days I just go strait to private on days I know it will be to crowded to try and draw in. Also I hunt 30 days in another state for ducks. And if you don't believe the stats just check their records. I said what I said in previous post because I do not believe the people that are whining about how they can't draw in.

#14 ·
swampchicken said:
870 like I would really listen to a guy that only hunted ducks three days according to an earlier post by you! Doesn't sound like you have very much experience with being at quickdraw areas. And for your information the less pressure I put on my Missouri private duck holes the better they are. If I don't get in I go there and have excellent hunts. Pressure management is key to private spots. Some days I just go strait to private on days I know it will be to crowded to try and draw in. Also I hunt 30 days in another state for ducks. And if you don't believe the stats just check their records. I said what I said in previous post because I do not believe the people that are whining about how they can't draw in.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't it a Limp Bizkit Song? "Keep Trollin, Trollin, Trollin. Keep Trollin, Trollin, Trollin."

#15 ·
swampchicken said:
Chicken,

Let me assure you that in the central part of the state, where ALL of our local areas are 80-20 quickdraw, my odds of drawing in are CONSIDERABLY less than 90%, and considerably less than they were before quickdraw.

Now shut up and reel. :biggrin:

#17 ·
I'll post a bit of knowledge I just found in my past waterfowling Journal .
Successful draw rates at WA's for the 2009/2010 waterfowl season--BoB Brown--11.67 % --4 Rivers --37.38 %--GrandPass--11.92% --Nodaway Valley--19.50% . Seems the most popular areas had the lowest success ratio--DUH !-- :rolleyes: --. So that's one reason I traveled father to 4 rivers , that and they have a "walk-In" area. When I traveled north from KC I tried either Bob Brown or Nodaway Valley . If not drawn at either I'd hunt the walk-in area of Nodaway Valley .---It was a percentage game then and is now ,but rules keep changing now.-- :huh:--

Done Nibbling for Now

Big Muddy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.