Cleaning Internal Shotgun Parts

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Cleaning Internal Shotgun Parts

Postby aclumpkin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:19 pm

So at least once per season I do pretty much a full breakdown clean of my Beretta auto-loader. When I did it after this past season I was in the middle of cleaning the trigger assembly with a pick and cleaning cloth and I thought there just has to be a better way.

I have seen a few mentions on different threads about some people boiling certain metal components of their shotguns to clean them. Does that work? How do you clean out the very intricate pieces of your guns?
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Re: Cleaning Internal Shotgun Parts

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:32 am

I spray mine out with Non-Clorinated Brake cleaner, It gets into all the small spaces and blast the gunk right out. I have also sloshed them aroud in a pan of hot soapy water if I did not have brake cleaner available to use. I have tried Ultrasonic cleaners but I still had to scrub a bt to get them as clean as I want. after the brake cleaner If they are real bad I hit it with the air hose to make sure all the deep rooted grime is gone.

I personally would not boil any springs, Especially if they are old or compressed. I have never tried it but I would think the heat could cause issues with a spring
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 am

I soak them in the CLP spray get get after it with a pick and a rag. light wipe down with an oily rag and put it all back together.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 am

Like waterfowlhunter if the trigger group is very dirty I use a good cleaner solution (brake cleaner is good) and either an old toothbrush to remove the gunk then blow clean & dry with an air hose or aerosol air spray can. Then I make sure to LIGHTLY lubricate the springs and pivot points before reinstalling. The main difference is I take the 5-10 minutes to completely break down, clean, lubricate and reassemble my gun after every hunting trip to avoid problems on the next hunt.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:30 pm

apexhunter wrote:I take the 5-10 minutes to completely break down, clean, lubricate and reassemble my gun after every hunting trip to avoid problems on the next hunt.

You would not have to do that if you had a Benelli :umm: :nana: :thumbsup: :banana:

Just messing with ya, I usually do a complete breakdown after season and minor blow out and cleaning when I can during season. The first week or 2 I never come home so resources are limited in the 5th wheel.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby woodysniper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I soak them in the CLP spray get get after it with a pick and a rag. light wipe down with an oily rag and put it all back together.

^^^ this
Remember to spay and nueter your democrats.
woodysniper
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:38 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
apexhunter wrote:I take the 5-10 minutes to completely break down, clean, lubricate and reassemble my gun after every hunting trip to avoid problems on the next hunt.

You would not have to do that if you had a Benelli :umm: :nana: :thumbsup: :banana:

Just messing with ya, I usually do a complete breakdown after season and minor blow out and cleaning when I can during season. The first week or 2 I never come home so resources are limited in the 5th wheel.

I shot a H&K era M1 for 20+ years and that is the gun I was referring to. That said I sold it last year to a guy that wanted it more than I did and got a new A5...and still do the same break down, slean, lube and reassemble with it and with all of my guns after each hunt or trip to the range. I was brought up doing that with my Dad's shotguns and is probably one of the reasons his pre 20's Model 12 and early 70's M37 Featherlights remain in such good condition.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

I am going to try the soaking in CLP spray. It's really not that my shotgun is extremely dirty or in bad shape, I find myself spending a ton of time with a pick and a rag trying to get into every little crevice. I figured that perhaps there is either an easier way or something I could do to limit the time with the pick and rag. I don't mind taking the time, I am all about efficiency though.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby THAXTER » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 pm

I've seen people soak parts in diesel fuel and they say it works, I however, hve never tried it myself.
THAXTER
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Dishwasher without heated dry, blow out with air compressor and light oil on trigger group. soak small metal parts bolt and springs in clp overnight and wirebrush/wipe down. Dish soap and rag for plastics. Clp and wirebrush/rag for chamber... bore snake barrel with choke out and again with choke in using oooo steel wool on second pass thru choke.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby Fowl'in up NORTH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:21 am

Make a gallon of Ed's red solvent and soak you trigger assembly in that for 8 hours. It comes out as clean as can be.
Fowl'in up NORTH
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 am

I soaked mine in a quart jar with some solvent. (lid on) Shook it around a bit. Then took it out and blew it out with air from my compressor.
The trigger assembly doesn't get very dirty on my Beretta 390. The spring in the stock...DOES.
To remove that takes some heat. The tube is put in with red lok-tite.
The spring in the stock will get filthy and cruddy with powder residue. May as well replace that every other season.
They say to replace the spring every 3k-5k rounds. It's only about ten bucks for a new spring and piston. I bought 3 sets to save on shipping over the years.
smilin' mallard 002.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby aunt betty » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 am

1362928261057.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby The Drake » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Brake Cleaner.....best and fastest way I have found
The Drake
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:31 am

Deep Creep
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:26 am

I am interested in this also. I hate cleaning the trigger assembly have used a tooth brush before to get all the junk on it.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:00 am

I use cheap Walmart Carb cleaner in the spray can to clean my trigger assys of my guns blowing it off with my pressurized air. Then lightly Lube it with Hoppes gun oil also blowing off the excess. I clean all the gun with the Carb cleaner except the barrel interior and use Ed's Red there. Jon
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:21 am

I know theirs a spray that will eat away grime and stuff that they make for cleaning guns but Im not sure how effective it is?
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 am

Just watch out that it doesn't eat the camo dip or plastic... seen that happen before and it sucked.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
SAHunter1983
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum