Smoker Chip Info

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Smoker Chip Info

Postby barenn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Just wondering if any of the southern folk have seen or heard of any one using orange wood chips, was just a thought as the stuff we get up here is hickory, cherry, apple, maple and so on. After reading recipes for duck using orange sauce and others I thought that it might work out well for smoking ducks, geese and other meats.
barenn
hunter

Re: Smoker Chip Info

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:21 am

barenn wrote:Just wondering if any of the southern folk have seen or heard of any one using orange wood chips, was just a thought as the stuff we get up here is hickory, cherry, apple, maple and so on. After reading recipes for duck using orange sauce and others I thought that it might work out well for smoking ducks, geese and other meats.

Never seen or used, but have heard they give a slight sweeter flavor. Same goes for grapefruit trees or any other citrus. I'd rather keep my citrus tree though and have it bear fruit. I've never seen any citrus wood chips in stores.

Sent from a busted phone with a mediocre app
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Orange wood chips are not one of the top choices for smoking meat. Yes, they are a mild sweet wood like other fruit woods but certainly not as popular as apple and cherry wood. Your choice of wood chips has more effect on taste than any other one thing when making jerky or sausages. Oak, hickory and pecan are top notch woods but you can over do it with them as they are strong. Mesquite is even stronger. Its really easy to over smoke your meat with these, I have done it. My favorite is probably pecan and I also like oak whiskey barrel wood, such as Jack Daniels. It makes for a unique flavor and worth a try. When I use J.D. chips, I tone it down along with some apple chips which makes it less likely to over smoke my meat.
If you want that "orange flavor" with your meat, you will need to get that from your marinade or seasoning. I use orange juice for that along with some apple juice mixed in. Apricot, plum and peach are all nice flavors to add to your duck or goose jerky in the seasoning.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 am

Chris , Did you get the PS booklet ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 pm

I guess not, I dont even know what the PS booklet is?

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking