Home coming

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Home coming

Postby Blackmallard40 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 pm

Don't want to give you guys my life story but I use to live in Elgin as a youth. I moved to Tennessee at the age of nine, I picked up on waterfowl hunting at the age of 15. The job market is poor here and the waterfowl hunting is slowly going down hill in my area. I have spoke to my wife about moving back to my home state. I would like to be around some good hunting and fishing. I heard there was good hunting experiences in "pike county" any help would be greatly appreciated .
Blackmallard40
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 pm


Re: Home coming

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Well I'll be. I was born in Elgin at Sherman Hospital back in 63! Was that you in the crib beside me? I don't know what is happening up north anymore. I live in the opposite end of the state. I know if you can access land there is some good goose hunting up there. Over along the Miss. the ducks and geese still fly. There are plenty of guys from up that way that can help you. Frankly, in Illinois I would be worrying more about employment and the states issues, which are plenty. Good Luck with you decision.
All turkeys must die!


bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
User avatar
Cujo1
hunter
 
Posts: 6541
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Home coming

Postby BEDB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:07 pm

I don't know about pike county but I hunted in sycamore this year and the ducks and geese were incredible, but I would suggest staying out of Illinois.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Peru, IL

Re: Home coming

Postby Blackmallard40 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 am

May i ask why stay away sir?
Blackmallard40
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Home coming

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:36 am

Taxes are high, employment opportunities are bleak, and the government is oppressive. Illinois is not a good option.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
User avatar
jaysweet3
hunter
 
Posts: 8178
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: N. Illinois

Re: Home coming

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 am

Blackmallard40 wrote:Don't want to give you guys my life story but I use to live in Elgin as a youth. I moved to Tennessee at the age of nine, I picked up on waterfowl hunting at the age of 15. The job market is poor here and the waterfowl hunting is slowly going down hill in my area. I have spoke to my wife about moving back to my home state. I would like to be around some good hunting and fishing. I heard there was good hunting experiences in "pike county" any help would be greatly appreciated .


I am a transplant to Chicago land, our friends from here, now live in Tennessee. They will not come back here!!
Low taxes, very low and across the board. Easier living style, not such dramatic weather changes, etc
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
User avatar
Weedwacker
hunter
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Naperville,IL

Re: Home coming

Postby rism » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 am

Blackmallard- 96 Billion with a BBBBB in debt to the retirement funds. Worst in the nation. Lowest credit rating in the nation. Second only to California and New York for being anti-gun. State Govt. is now veto proof house and senate democrats. Chicago controls everything. They have 55% of the State vote. Il. Dept. of Natural Resources funding cut completely in half over the last 10 yrs. (hopefully being corrected if new funds aren't re-allocated) Pike county is the deer capitol of the midwest. Highest total kill numbers in the state almost every year. Land to hunt on is at a premium 95% controlled by outfitters. Just a few reasons you might want to condider you move.

However !!! From about Carlisle Lake on south there is a lot of public ground for deer, duck, turkey and most other game. Not a lot of jobs though. If I was single or could get my wife to leave my choice would be the Cape Giradeau (sp) area of Missouri for living.
rism
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 am

Re: Home coming

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 am

rism wrote:Blackmallard- 96 Billion with a BBBBB in debt to the retirement funds. Worst in the nation. Lowest credit rating in the nation. Second only to California and New York for being anti-gun. State Govt. is now veto proof house and senate democrats. Chicago controls everything. They have 55% of the State vote. Il. Dept. of Natural Resources funding cut completely in half over the last 10 yrs. (hopefully being corrected if new funds aren't re-allocated) Pike county is the deer capitol of the midwest. Highest total kill numbers in the state almost every year. Land to hunt on is at a premium 95% controlled by outfitters. Just a few reasons you might want to condider you move.

However !!! From about Carlisle Lake on south there is a lot of public ground for deer, duck, turkey and most other game. Not a lot of jobs though. If I was single or could get my wife to leave my choice would be the Cape Giradeau (sp) area of Missouri for living.


Hey, you forgot how proud we are here of The Jackson family, Jesse JR and Sandi!!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
User avatar
Weedwacker
hunter
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Naperville,IL

Re: Home coming

Postby BEDB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:32 am

Weedwacker wrote:
rism wrote:Blackmallard- 96 Billion with a BBBBB in debt to the retirement funds. Worst in the nation. Lowest credit rating in the nation. Second only to California and New York for being anti-gun. State Govt. is now veto proof house and senate democrats. Chicago controls everything. They have 55% of the State vote. Il. Dept. of Natural Resources funding cut completely in half over the last 10 yrs. (hopefully being corrected if new funds aren't re-allocated) Pike county is the deer capitol of the midwest. Highest total kill numbers in the state almost every year. Land to hunt on is at a premium 95% controlled by outfitters. Just a few reasons you might want to condider you move.

However !!! From about Carlisle Lake on south there is a lot of public ground for deer, duck, turkey and most other game. Not a lot of jobs though. If I was single or could get my wife to leave my choice would be the Cape Giradeau (sp) area of Missouri for living.


Hey, you forgot how proud we are here of The Jackson family, Jesse JR and Sandi!!

And Blago! Deep down I'm sure he was a real sweetheart right?!
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Peru, IL

Re: Home coming

Postby luie b » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 am

Blackmallard40 wrote:Don't want to give you guys my life story but I use to live in Elgin as a youth. I moved to Tennessee at the age of nine, I picked up on waterfowl hunting at the age of 15. The job market is poor here and the waterfowl hunting is slowly going down hill in my area. I have spoke to my wife about moving back to my home state. I would like to be around some good hunting and fishing. I heard there was good hunting experiences in "pike county" any help would be greatly appreciated .

I wouldn't recommend pike county because it's choked up with high, high paying deer hunters who own all the land and will buy a farm with no tillable ground for 5 grand an acre. Unless you have a deep pocket book I wouldn't recommend it. The good waterfowl public areas are more on the Illinois river, the mississippi isn't as good for public hunting unless you register a blind in most places. Where you at now?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Home coming

Postby Blackmallard40 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm

If you had a choice where would relocate to? Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas?
Blackmallard40
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Home coming

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Luieb is right. Many of the counties in the 'Golden Triangle' (counties between the Miss & Illinois rivers) are loaded with rich deer hunters, leasing or buying all the ground. Calhoun, Pike and Adams are probably the worst.
Yes, Il. is in debt to the max, state taxes were increased by 67% to pay down the deficit, then the politicians used the money for more give away programs. The FOID card program is a disaster. Chicago democrats keep introducing more and more bills trying to destroy our gun rights. Illinois is the only state in the union withOUT any form of concealed carry. Despite being ordered by federal courts, the governor and attorney general are fighting to keep concealed carry at bay. When the legislature comes up with a program, I suspect it will be extremely restrictive and very expensive.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: nw illinois

Re: Home coming

Postby Sfd714 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:39 pm

Jo daviees has decent hunting. But you also have to run the Chicago hunters off the private land every year.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
User avatar
Sfd714
hunter
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Home coming

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:14 pm

So much of JoDaviess county has been overrun with Chitcago elite. When I first started going up there fishing, most of the roads were gravel. Now, the vast majority of roads are paved. Mansions on bluffs-estates. ****'s grocery in Galena has a large selection of wine and caviar. Any kind of acreage going for big $$$$$. Long time locals leaving because they can no longer afford to live there.
Yes, it still kills a fair amount of big deer. There are still farms in the county; some will allow hunting. The "estates" which are most generally NO HUNTING act as refuges. When the big buck yearns for a few more does and wanders out of the refuge, he gets nailed.
While JD is a beautiful area, it has been ruined by the Chitcago influx. I've heard it referred to as Aspen on the Miss.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: nw illinois

Re: Home coming

Postby luie b » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Blackmallard40 wrote:Don't want to give you guys my life story but I use to live in Elgin as a youth. I moved to Tennessee at the age of nine, I picked up on waterfowl hunting at the age of 15. The job market is poor here and the waterfowl hunting is slowly going down hill in my area. I have spoke to my wife about moving back to my home state. I would like to be around some good hunting and fishing. I heard there was good hunting experiences in "pike county" any help would be greatly appreciated .

If you want an area with all around good hunting I recommend NE Missouri. I go there hunting a few times a year and they have plenty of every kind of game you could ask for. Awesome deer, turkey, waterfowl, and furbearer hunting. And they even still have an ok amount of quail and rabbit still around. Land is a fraction of the cost the only downside is it's mostly gravel roads and blacktops through the very NE area and you have to travel really far for work. Other than that it's an awesome place to be.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Home coming

Postby Blackcloud870 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:48 pm

riverrat47 wrote:So much of JoDaviess county has been overrun with Chitcago elite. When I first started going up there fishing, most of the roads were gravel. Now, the vast majority of roads are paved. Mansions on bluffs-estates. ****'s grocery in Galena has a large selection of wine and caviar. Any kind of acreage going for big $$$$$. Long time locals leaving because they can no longer afford to live there.
Yes, it still kills a fair amount of big deer. There are still farms in the county; some will allow hunting. The "estates" which are most generally NO HUNTING act as refuges. When the big buck yearns for a few more does and wanders out of the refuge, he gets nailed.
While JD is a beautiful area, it has been ruined by the Chitcago influx. I've heard it referred to as Aspen on the Miss.

^^^This^^^
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
User avatar
Blackcloud870
hunter
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:45 am
Location: Northern, IL

Re: Home coming

Postby Blackmallard40 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:53 pm

I remember as a kid my grandmother use to take me the park in elgin and feed the ducks and geese. The good ole days in Illinois
Blackmallard40
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Home coming

Postby Sfd714 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

riverrat47 wrote:So much of JoDaviess county has been overrun with Chitcago elite. When I first started going up there fishing, most of the roads were gravel. Now, the vast majority of roads are paved. Mansions on bluffs-estates. ****'s grocery in Galena has a large selection of wine and caviar. Any kind of acreage going for big $$$$$. Long time locals leaving because they can no longer afford to live there.
Yes, it still kills a fair amount of big deer. There are still farms in the county; some will allow hunting. The "estates" which are most generally NO HUNTING act as refuges. When the big buck yearns for a few more does and wanders out of the refuge, he gets nailed.
While JD is a beautiful area, it has been ruined by the Chitcago influx. I've heard it referred to as Aspen on the Miss.


Jd, Carroll, Stephenson are all over run with the city folk. JD is by far the worst. Absolutely sickening.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
User avatar
Sfd714
hunter
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Home coming

Postby luie b » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:35 pm

This is why I stay out of the north sector of this so called "great state" because Chicago is like butt leakage, it just spews out wherever it wants to.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Home coming

Postby Sfd714 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 pm

luie b wrote:This is why I stay out of the north sector of this so called "great state" because Chicago is like butt leakage, it just spews out wherever it wants to.


Chicago is a plague. Soon it will be invading south of I80.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
User avatar
Sfd714
hunter
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Home coming

Postby BEDB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:02 am

Sfd714 wrote:
luie b wrote:This is why I stay out of the north sector of this so called "great state" because Chicago is like butt leakage, it just spews out wherever it wants to.


Chicago is a plague. Soon it will be invading south of I80.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

If it takes over much more of lasalle county I won't be sticking around for long
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Peru, IL

Re: Home coming

Postby Grossy23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:49 am

Actually there are two Illinois . The northern half run by Chicago and the rest of the state , also run by Chicago , although we don't like it . Corruption is rampant in this state . Ex governors Ryan and Blago are two examples . I have roots here , it'd be hard to talk wife into moving ,though there is no way I'd move to Illinois from another state .
Grossy23
hunter
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Home coming

Postby Sfd714 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 am

Grossy23 wrote:Actually there are two Illinois . The northern half run by Chicago and the rest of the state , also run by Chicago , although we don't like it . Corruption is rampant in this state . Ex governors Ryan and Blago are two examples . I have roots here , it'd be hard to talk wife into moving ,though there is no way I'd move to Illinois from another state .


Their is Chicago and the rest of the state. I live in the NW of Illinois and we hate Chicago. And the worst part is the folks that live down state think all of norther IL is Chicago.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
User avatar
Sfd714
hunter
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Home coming

Postby riverrat47 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:01 pm

I, too, live in NW Illinois, about 25 mi. south of the Q-Cities. I spend quite a bit of time in LaSalle county, too. Yes, Chicagoan's are all over LaSalle county. They have ruined JoDaviess, Carroll and Stephenson. We had a fair migration into this area, but it wasn't the spoiled elite. Once they got acclimated to small town life, they weren't too bad.
As was said, many think that everything in northern Illinois is Chicago. WRONG!!! I consider anything east of Rt47 and north of I-80 Chicago. I know, I know, some will carp at me about that, and there are some good areas and people included in my generalization, but the Chicago attitude, prices, etc, really start to show up when you get inside that box I defined.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: nw illinois

Re: Home coming

Postby Sfd714 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 pm

riverrat47 wrote:I, too, live in NW Illinois, about 25 mi. south of the Q-Cities. I spend quite a bit of time in LaSalle county, too. Yes, Chicagoan's are all over LaSalle county. They have ruined JoDaviess, Carroll and Stephenson. We had a fair migration into this area, but it wasn't the spoiled elite. Once they got acclimated to small town life, they weren't too bad.
As was said, many think that everything in northern Illinois is Chicago. WRONG!!! I consider anything east of Rt47 and north of I-80 Chicago. I know, I know, some will carp at me about that, and there are some good areas and people included in my generalization, but the Chicago attitude, prices, etc, really start to show up when you get inside that box I defined.


Anything east of I39 and north of I80 is Chicago lol.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
User avatar
Sfd714
hunter
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests