Need some advice

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

Need some advice

Postby Duckersmacker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:39 am

Alright guys, I'm by no means asking for hotspots or your honey holes. Me and a buddy are taking a trip to arkansas this coming duck season (from georgia). Wer going to hunt public land. I do have a 16ft boat with a 25 hp Motor ill be bringing. What we need is to know about what time wd should come. December? January? And I have no clue where to start. Wmas? Arkansas river? Iv heard about the white? Hurricane lake? I'm completely lost here. I do not want to take a guide, we prefer doing it ourselves. We are both vets when it comes to duck hunting. We will be going for a week. Any help would be appreciated.
Duckersmacker
Newb

Re: Need some advice

Postby Slash LaReux » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:35 pm

As far as where to go it sounds like you have some ideas, as to time I personally invite friends in to hunt after Christmas. Seems like we generally have better hunts then. But that may just be me. Nice to see guys willing to go it on their own, not many left who are willing and or able. Good luck!
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby Duckersmacker » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:24 am

Slash LaReux wrote:As far as where to go it sounds like you have some ideas, as to time I personally invite friends in to hunt after Christmas. Seems like we generally have better hunts then. But that may just be me. Nice to see guys willing to go it on their own, not many left who are willing and or able. Good luck!

To me taking a guide takes the fun out of it. I'd personally rather scout and kill my own birds. It means more. Just me though. What's the regs on hunting the arkansas river around pine bluff?
Duckersmacker
Newb

Postby Slash LaReux » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:09 pm

I'm not sure I don't hunt the river, but you could probably find what you need on the Arkansas game and fish website. It's not the most user friendly but it works.
Slash LaReux
hunter

Postby cannon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Duckersmacker wrote:
Slash LaReux wrote:As far as where to go it sounds like you have some ideas, as to time I personally invite friends in to hunt after Christmas. Seems like we generally have better hunts then. But that may just be me. Nice to see guys willing to go it on their own, not many left who are willing and or able. Good luck!

To me taking a guide takes the fun out of it. I'd personally rather scout and kill my own birds. It means more. Just me though. What's the regs on hunting the arkansas river around pine bluff?

Inside the high water mark (read the top of the banks) is public and is regulated by the Corps of Engineers. Not a WMA. PM hunting is allowed where there aren't specific rules precluding it. For the Arkie, later is better. The river won't freeze, so the colder it is, the better off you are.

Good Luck.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby PC76 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:07 pm

I would say if ya really wanna hunt come about the 2nd week of January. If ya want to see what makes duck hunting the sport it is in Arkansas show up on the opening days of the first or 2nd split.

Otherwise I do believe there are always ducks to be had you just gotta be in the know, have someone to help ya out, or spend some time and gas money checking them out.
PC76
hunter

Postby Duckersmacker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks for all the help! So can I get out of the boat on the arkansas river legally? And no thanks, I'd rather not fight with people on opening day.
Duckersmacker
Newb

Postby cannon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Duckersmacker wrote:Thanks for all the help! So can I get out of the boat on the arkansas river legally? And no thanks, I'd rather not fight with people on opening day.

INSIDE THE HIGH WATER MARKS. That means the banks of the river. If you're within the channel, islands, sand bars, etc., are property of the Corps of Engineers and are fair game to hunters. Do NOT assume that the foregoing means that, in situations where the water is high, you can traverse onto private ground (outside the top of the banks) based on the fact that water is running over it. While you can legally traverse it in your boat, any anchor, decoy line, etc., that touches the underlying soil, any tying off to a tree or a bank, etc., is a trespass. Stay inside the banks, you'll be just fine. There are LOTS of monster islands out there that are fair game.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Duckersmacker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks
Duckersmacker
Newb

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting