Duck Hunting Forum banner

A good decoy spread

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  DUCKBAKER 
#1 ·
I live in texas and am wondering how many decoys you guys use? and what is a good starting spread if your new to the sport?

#2 ·
It depends on the size of water you are hunting. In some small sloughs i hunt i only throw out 3-4 decoys. In bigger holes we usually put out 2-3 dozen. I know people who throw out up to 7 dozen in their spots when hunting big water. I only hunt sloughs and small holes in the timber. Hope this helps.
By the way, I live in Texas and hunt Toledo Bend and a place down near Houston, where do you hunt?

#5 ·
I hunt on public land up here in Nacogdoches, but i have a duck lease in Huffman i hunt on whenever i go home to kingwood. Theres plenty of public land on the coast which can be good if you're willing to work for your ducks. All the big lakes around Houston are public such as Livingston and Conroe. I've never hunted them myself but have friends who hunt out there.

#8 ·
I also live in texas, and am about to move form college station to san antonio. Ive never hunted the coast, but would really like to give it a shot when i move down there. Are there some good public land spots down there. Or even some inland timber or somthing....
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.