Goin' Snowin'

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Goin' Snowin'

Postby dgram36 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:53 pm

My friend and I are just getting into snow goose hunting. Fell into a depression after the regular season end and needed something to keep us going till turkey season. Ordered decoys, an ecaller and got ourselves out scouting in Burlington County. We got on a pretty big flock and learned their pattern. Got permission on a farm in their flight path and a field that they were hitting heavy to feed. This was Wednesday. Had a tough time convincing the farmer to let us on. Seems he thought that hunters putting decoys out encouraged the geese to land. I had to ensure him that once the geese were shot at a few times they would move on. Farmer said he'd had people stopping by pretty regular for permission but no on else had it yet. Gave us the green light to set up in one particular field that wasn't planted. At this point I was pretty pumped, things seemed to have been working out as planned.
Then I rolled by the farm on Friday in preparation for Saturday mornings hunt. Was disappointed to see that the numbers were way down and their was only a couple dozen right in the middle of the field the farmer said we can't hunt. Then I look closer....pretty dead looking flock...then I noticed the layout blinds... Well, even the best laid plans can be ruined. Can't fault the guys that beat us to it, but I knew after being accosted the day before the geese wouldn't be back the next morning.
Saturday morning came around and we set up in the flyway. Had two decent flocks of snows overfly us. Just not enough decoys in our spread to run traffic on a flock of a thousand. Of course we had Canada's buzzing our spread practically begging to be shot. Even had two land in the decoys while me and my friend had the blind doors open, sitting up, drinking coffee and BSing. Stuff you'd never see during Canada season. We've lost the flock now, have burned a whole tank of gas looking for them. Oh we'll, gives us something to do before we get on those gobblers.
dgram36
hunter

Re: Goin' Snowin'

Postby FFT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm

How many decoys?
FFT
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 pm

8 dozen, not nearly enough I know. It's what we could afford for now.
dgram36
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get used to it. Keep at it, it will happen one day for you. Snow Goose hunting is very different and unpredictable. I never hunted with more than 12 dz socks, shells & silos total, but then again, I never chased em hard on the Delaware. My flock is much smaller over here at the shore but they react the same when they fly in the thousands. 9 out of 10 hunts end in frustration. Last year was an anomaly with 3 or 4 trips in a row where we shot the heck out of them. Hunt em hard and you will be rewarded.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks Pete, we're trying to get back on them!
dgram36
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:13 am

Update, the guy who was hunting the same property on Friday turned out to be a friend of a friend. He killed 41 birds! I'm not sure whether to be happy for him or pissed off for me;)
dgram36
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 am

Bummer. Good for him, sucks for you... keep an eye on that field and maybe it will happen again for YOU!!
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting