solid fuel hand warmer

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

solid fuel hand warmer

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 pm

INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Re: solid fuel hand warmer

Postby zachh72 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:44 pm

I got a couple my dad gave to me before he passed away. Still hanging on to them and use them.
"Every dog is a good dog, there is just something about a hunting dog that complete's a man."
zachh72
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:26 am

I bought one several years ago. Didn't care for it.
It stunk to high heaven and didn't put out much heat. I've tried every handwarming device known to man and the best for me is the HOT HANDS-type, air-activated, shake-and-bake packets. It's all I use these days.
Of course, YRMV.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:04 am

I have a couple. They are neat, but MP is right about the stink, and I won't use them bowhunting for that reason. My hands don't get cold duck hunting, so they mostly just sit around looking cool.

I'll probably gift them to my girlfreind the next time I forget something important.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:59 am

Just be careful and not light it, leave it on the kitchen counter, and make a pot of coffee. You'll be replacing the kitchen floor after the hot coals fall off and burn lots of little holes in it. Experience. 30 years ago. (Plus you are in the dog house until the floor is replaced)
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby zeus50 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:24 am

i use the zippo one that burns off of zippo fluid. i like it
zeus50
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:24 pm

I use hot-hands but not for hands. I put them in my front pants pockets because that's where the blood veins are. Helps keep my feet warm that way. If it's really cold I put them in my shirt pockets. When I shop I look for camo button-up shirts that have two breast pockets for the hand warmers. It keeps my core warm and that takes care of the rest. Four hot-hands at once is for when I get miserable. It takes the misery away. :thumbsup:

I found my old hand-warmer from boy-scouts and was really surprised that I can get the fuel sticks for a little over 5 bucks plus shipping. They are kinda cool. If you light both ends of the stick it gets a lot hotter. Too hot if you're not careful. :wink:

Another tip: When its below freezing you may as well plan on getting cold. I'll pop a couple hot hands and load 'em into my front pants pockets right when I put the waders on. By the time I get to where I'm going they're starting to make heat. Beats waiting until I get cold and then going...OH YEAH,use hot-hands... then having to wait a half-hour before they start warming up.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby mudpack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:22 pm

aunt betty wrote:I use hot-hands but not for hands. I put them in my front pants pockets because that's where the blood veins are..
I don't know of many humans who have blood veins in their pants pockets. :biggrin:

aunt betty wrote: Helps keep my feet warm that way. If it's really cold I put them in my shirt pockets. When I shop I look for camo button-up shirts that have two breast pockets for the hand warmers. It keeps my core warm .

Yeah, but how do you keep your HANDS warm?? My torso has no problems keeping warm. My hands are a different story.

You are right about shaking out the HOT HANDS early; I open mine when I leave the house. By the time my hands are getting really cold, the warmers are nice and hot....as are the jacket pockets I have them in (two on the right side, two on the left).
mudpack
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 am

I got sick of the hand warmers. The right pair of gloves is all you need, but the right pair of gloves won't let you run a duck call or a shotgun. Like I said, not a problem for me, our duck season is over long before any cold weather.

Even if it gets down into the teens, staying warm is least of my problems, espeically when neoprene waders are involved.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum