Kayak duck boat

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Re: Kayak duck boat

Postby WI_River_Hunter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:48 am

TROB wrote:Look at my old posts. I did a big thread on mine step by step pretty much. Wilderness systems Commander 120

I just got into bed and don't want to look it up on my iPad.

Linked for ya:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=159592
WI_River_Hunter
hunter

Postby TROB » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:55 pm

WI_River_Hunter wrote:
TROB wrote:Look at my old posts. I did a big thread on mine step by step pretty much. Wilderness systems Commander 120

I just got into bed and don't want to look it up on my iPad.

Linked for ya:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=159592

Thanks, last night I was not in the mood :lol3:
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:45 pm

boder wrote:I have an ascend fs12 from bass pro. I have only used it for jump shooting so far and it has been very stable and solid to shoot from. Hope to get a lot more use out if my kayak this season. But no blind so far.

I'm close to grabbing this one and it's now $100 off, you'd recommend it?
The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:22 am

I use my "junk" boat from ****'s and it is light, stable, and the quality is high enough to use, and low enough to not care about the gouges and scratches hunting from it has put in it. Bought the two man, and cut out the forward seat. Removed the deck hardware, primed the HELL out of it after scratching it up with some 80-grit. Then several coats of bed-liner, topped with a coat or two of dead grass, black, and some browns. She disappears under burlap and a few hand fulls of marsh grass.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/large ... 8303dt.jpg

Now, I can slide quite a few decoys under the bow (around my survival kit in the waterproof (?) hatch liner), my blind bag, and two six-slot decoy bags. Shotgun goes down the side under the gunnel, bilge pump, tripod seat, and extra clothes in a dry bag behind the seat. Camouflaged burlap is on the stern under the bungie straps. IF I'm using a couple of goose decoys, they too ride on the stern under an extra loop of bungie.

I leave my anchors on the bottom of the boat between my legs.. I used to keep them in a small bucket, but gave it up for room's sake and now only carry the exact number of weights I'll need (plus 1 in case I drop one). On the bottom, they are easily accessible and out of the way.

IF I'm hunting out of her, I just pull her up into the shallows and lay back into her with the burlap over my lap. She is easy to shoot out of...in any direction. However, I typically ditch her and hunt off of a tripod stool nearby. I do this mostly for comfort as I can move my legs a bit more for warmth and it is warmer than laying down in the kayak on cold mud or in cold water.

One thing I did do for transportation...purchased a 14' 1"X12" board and strapped it down in the bed of my truck. Then, I rigged stop/turn lights on the underside. Did this for two reasons.... ONE- I got tired of idiots running up on my truck on the highway. In just two days, I've noted far fewer morons threatening the stern of my kayak. TWO- The board offers a bit of extra support for the kayak. I began to notice the method I use to strap her down/in was bowing her a bit. The board has completely done away with the sagging and (I'm certain) added several more years of use.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Previous

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting