The Envelopes

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

The Envelopes

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:47 am

I went to mass last week and the entire sermon (Lent) was about humility and alms-giving... Having read your posts about Tithing...it was an interesting sermon.
Yesterday in the mail I got my envelope...of envelopes for donations at my parish. Each one neatly had my name, my wife's name, address, phone number, a level of donation that I could check (with a reminder next to it of what portion of my income that represented) and a bar code...One of those smart phone apps that's square with all the black and white dots in it...
I started to think..
What's more "humble".. throwing a $10 in the basket or writing a check with your name on it, in an envelope with your name on it? With a bar code that no doubt keeps track of your donations.
Come on...
Then I started thinking about the bar code. You know the heavy donors miraculously get an invite to the "friends of the Parish Golf Outing".....
It left a bad taste in my mouth for the whole thing...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: The Envelopes

Postby 870 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Slack the Lord spoke of the hypocrites of His day and how they made sure everyone know they gave. Don’t trip over the small stuff, pay your tithes and if you feel led to give an offering then do so. God blesses the heart of the giver not the gift.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Re: The Envelopes

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:19 am

I'm off to mass.....with my envelope..funny...
And yes 870..
Beers afterwords!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality