VA traveling decoy?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

What species for the VA traveler? Pick your top 2

Mallard
16%
Black Duck
28%
Pintail
11%
Wigeon
9%
GW Teal
2%
Wood Duck
6%
Ringneck
7%
Canvasback
9%
Scaup
9%
Redhead
4%

Total votes : 82

Re: VA traveling decoy?

Postby callncut » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:44 am

Ill get in on it
callncut
Super Moderator

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:44 am

lbhansford wrote:ZING!

My first carved deke.. Just finished and fitting

IB-
I vote for your decoy as the traveler!

ANY decoy that defies the laws of gravity like that one does needs to be in my spread for a week :yes: :hi:
:devil:
Hey I'm in :thumbsup:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby imaduckin up north » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:09 am

this sounds like a good idea , :thumbsup:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:57 am

dwhipper61 wrote:I'm interested. Might want to add Canada Goose to the poll of decoy options.

2 reasons I didnt add a goose although I want to. Its large size makes it A( more expensive to make and B( way more to ship when we need to pass it along. But I guess a cork one we could remove the head for shipping. It's definitely something to look into. Maybe we can make it an option for 2015. I want to make this a seasonal tradition if it works out.
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby old1neck » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:08 am

What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:13 am

Great first decoy LB, nice work.

Are we wanting decoys donated by members, sponsors, or is someone going to buy them?
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:31 am

thanks Have gun, i think next go round, going to carve the wing impression but didnt want to get too crazy on the first one. Its basswood and i took your advice and hollowed it our and used dowel to plug holes before painting. next one im going to work on more detail. learned alot from the first one though.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:33 am

and i am in.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:42 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Great first decoy LB, nice work.

Are we wanting decoys donated by members, sponsors, or is someone going to buy them?

Really whatever works Have Gun, I wasn't going to ask someone to donate (not really into handouts) or force someone into making one for the cause. If they want to that is great. I was looking into the autumn wings decoys or a church cork (depending on the vote of wood vs cork) to buy if everyone chipped in like 5 bucks or less, the autumn wings are really nice for the money($59). I know most guys will probably vote wood but I would still like to go through the process to see what the whole has to say.
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:53 am

LB get away from that basswood unless you want to get into decoratives. Its holds a fine sharp edge for fine details but even hollow its heavier than a solid cedar block of the same size. You'll burn that basswood when you see how easy cedar carves too. I did. :yes:

FM, Im good for a cedar black duck if the vote continues the way its going. I would want it back in the end to add to my own rig though. Would be something like this minus the raised wing.
Attachments
photo.JPG
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:13 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:FM, Im good for a cedar black duck if the vote continues the way its going. I would want it back in the end to add to my own rig though. Would be something like this minus the raised wing.

That's a nice looking piece there have gun :clapping: If you are okay with making it for the cause then I am down for that. Hopefully she will look as good when she gets back to you as when she left :yes: The vote is leaning black duck but I will probably give the thread another week or two just to make sure everyone gets a fair chance at being involved.
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:17 am

I want to throw my name in the hat !!!
A suggestion for the decoy would be a hen mallard . The lonesome hen has her own call , the decoy can be hunted by herself which almost always ends with a big old drake taking his last dip in the drink :yes: .
A hen Herters cork decoys with wood head and tail board is a large well made coy , just saying .

:thumbsup: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 am

fowl mouth wrote:
Have Gun Will Travel wrote:FM, Im good for a cedar black duck if the vote continues the way its going. I would want it back in the end to add to my own rig though. Would be something like this minus the raised wing.

That's a nice looking piece there have gun :clapping: If you are okay with making it for the cause then I am down for that. Hopefully she will look as good when she gets back to you as when she left :yes: The vote is leaning black duck but I will probably give the thread another week or two just to make sure everyone gets a fair chance at being involved.

Thanks man. It will be strickly a gunning decoy and made for use. Im a bit tired of making shelf queens honestly. Just let me know what everyone wants to do and I'll set some wood aside for it.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:26 am

whats a good source on the cedar blocks HG? that basswood is kind of a bitch to carve even with the shaprest of knives.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:27 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:LB get away from that basswood unless you want to get into decoratives. Its holds a fine sharp edge for fine details but even hollow its heavier than a solid cedar block of the same size. You'll burn that basswood when you see how easy cedar carves too. I did. :yes:

FM, Im good for a cedar black duck if the vote continues the way its going. I would want it back in the end to add to my own rig though. Would be something like this minus the raised wing.

Also i would swear that was my garage if there was a brew sitting next to that pack of smokes :thumbsup:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:30 am

You can try a local lumber yard that sells custom millings, Gates Wood Mill in Gates County, NC, or Knotts Knives in Salisbury MD (he will ship). I buy from Knotts but used to go to Gates when I lived in NC. Open that wallet man. You thought just waterfowling was exspensive......

The woodford is on the shelf out of view in the pic, but remember friends dont let friends operate band saws while drunk. :lol3:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:52 am

OK so we have 24 votes and only 11 voters. So who is left out of the list so far? just trying to keep this organized.
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:08 pm

I have a 20 foot by 9 inch cedar log that is well season , guessing 30 years dead 10 of which on dry ground by my barn , got a idea of worth ? Sorry didn't mean to take from the thread , sure is a nice looking work you are doing .

:huh: LD :thumbsup:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:15 pm

No one got my joke about the decoy defying gravity, I'm devastated. :sad:
(OR was it too corny? :yes: )
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Could be good carving wood depending on the quality of the grain and over all size. Some people can have a reaction to the dust from red cedar so whoever carves it needs to be mindful of that. White and northern cedar are lighter, softer, and cleaner with less knots. They are typically a more sought after carving wood for those reasons. It can be carved and I have seen some nice red cedar birds before. I ran my drawknife down a piece I have and it was enough for me to stick with northern. A piece of northern kiln dried in 4" x 8" x 8ft is running just shy of $200 to give you an idea. I would guess red would be nearly half that when considering the median cost of Jersey white.

I got it swamp. Didnt comment because you got to it before I could. Im still not happy about it. :lol3:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:I got it swamp. Didnt comment because you got to it before I could. Im still not happy about it. :lol3:

I understand- It's a "fast moving thread" :lol3: :umm:
:beer:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:22 pm

i got it, for some reason when i post pics from my phone, they magically get flipped in a random direction but NEVER come out correct.

Lew, you should cut that badd boy into blocks and sell them. Id buy a few.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
Have Gun Will Travel wrote:I got it swamp. Didnt comment because you got to it before I could. Im still not happy about it. :lol3:

I understand- It's a "fast moving thread" :lol3: :umm:
:beer:

Alright now your getting corny. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Ok so now we have 26 votes and only 11 voters. Who are the missing two, fess up. :fingerpt:
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby imaduckin up north » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:06 pm

i voted
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance