Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hunting the Owyhee River

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Duck-slayer 
#1 ·
This is my first post, but I have been frequenting the forum from time to time this season. The pics and stories were always fun to read when I couldn't get out.

I was fishing the Owyhee the other day and on my way in I noticed a few coots in a small canal. As I kept driving I saw a couple groups of mallards mulling about in several more small sloughs and canals. On the actual Owyhee (in Oregon) I noticed all sorts of ducks; mallards, buffleheads, and wigeons from what I could identify driving 30 down the winding road. It looked like it could be a fun spot to do a little fall/winter cast and blast. I realize this would require an Oregon license, anyone think it'd be worth it?

Thanks! :smile:

#2 ·
That's funny.... I went too the most heavily hunted area around Marsing and there are thousands of ducks right now, but during the season there ain't ****.... So my point is, don't do your scouting this time of year... I doubt there is that many ducks during the season, but there are a few ducks that are closer too the confluence and ft. Boise,
Matt

#3 ·
Duck-slayer,

I realize that heavily pressured areas will see a lot more ducks in the off season than during the hunting season. I've seen that one happen quite a bit. "Where are all these ducks during the season?" a question I find myself asking all the time. That was another reason why I asked about the Owyhee. I usually only fish out there in the summer, and didn't hit it at all during duck season. I find that I'll see ducks in places after the season where I didn't see them before the opener (March vs. September). All in all I'm not sure it's worth the Oregon license to go jump-shoot a few before a fishing trip.

Thanks for the input.

#4 ·
all the ducks during the season are sitting on Owhyee's Res, Lake Lowell, Ft. Boise, Obendorf's Pond, Between those 4 that's almost all the ducks in SW Idaho right there... and some just migrate through coming back, like the "snow geese" we don't get that many during the regular season, we see them come through quite a bit in the spring though... just there migration pattern, they probably go down either east or west of us than come back up through CJ and the Treasure Valley... but that's just a guess...
Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.