Still a rookie at this bird thing.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Still a rookie at this bird thing.

Postby cinnamon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Feel free to tell me whats wrong with them. still need to groom the wings more. 9th and 10th birds.
Attachments
dddddddddd 055.JPG
dddddddddd 055.JPG (29.29 KiB) Viewed 981 times
cinnamon
hunter

Re: Still a rookie at this bird thing.

Postby PADuck » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:01 am

Those are very nice. I'm not a taxi but I think both the birds wings should be parallel with each other the front birds wings are forward. Buy hey who am I. Nice job though
PADuck
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:08 am

Very nice for the few birds you have done. Two things I would have changed is, the wings on the inside duck to the left could be brought towards the body more, and the tail on the outside duck on the right is just a bit flared and torquing like it is changing its flight pattern a bit? The outside bird looks like it is flying in unison with the other (even though they don't particularly match) and the tail on the bird is acting like it is a rudder, changing course.

This is just an observation. I don't expect you to change a thing, but when two birds are so closely together, you can't help but compare one to the other. In addition to that, when two birds in the wild fly that course (and now you can add an entire flock) they typically follow the lead bird, and what that bird does, the rest of the flock typically harmonize with that lead bird. It's amazing to see when a flock of pigeons or a flock of starlings will turn and cut their wings in complete perfection. I assume this would be to avoid colliding mid-air?

By the way, the rest of the mount looks well groomed, I like the paint on the bills, the neck/breast juncture looks good, and the attitude in the birds look like they are doing a fly-by! Overall, it looks nice. I would tip the outside bird (entire bird) upwards, and close the wings on the inside bird, and the mount would go from an 8+ to a ten in one minute!

I don't usually critique mounts, but lately, I've been obliging since they ask. I don't give critiques based on my skill level (or lack their of) but instead based on what my eye picks up, and overall balance. Your work is very nice, and ahead of the curve, but if I can help you get there sooner, then this is what jumps out at me.

:beer:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:09 am

PADuck and I were typing at the same time. So, you can see this is something on the lines of balance versus taxidermy? :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cinnamon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. Sometimes having someone else look gives a different perspective that may be overlooked. I went ahead and lifted the bottom bird up and out a bit more. The birds have been drying for 2 weeks. Would it be unwise to try and bend the inside birds wings to get them closer to the body or best to just chalk it up to experience and let it go.
I am just a hobbyist and did these for my dad. Thanks again for any comments, they are greatly appreciated.
cinnamon
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Two weeks? I would try and bend them inward. You have to take it slow, and keep listening for the skin to crack or tear. I have bent a wing out of whack a month later without a problem, but you must go slow! Your dad will love them!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Pete-pec wrote:Very nice for the few birds you have done. Two things I would have changed is, the wings on the inside duck to the left could be brought towards the body more, and the tail on the outside duck on the right is just a bit flared and torquing like it is changing its flight pattern a bit? The outside bird looks like it is flying in unison with the other (even though they don't particularly match) and the tail on the bird is acting like it is a rudder, changing course.

This is just an observation. I don't expect you to change a thing, but when two birds are so closely together, you can't help but compare one to the other. In addition to that, when two birds in the wild fly that course (and now you can add an entire flock) they typically follow the lead bird, and what that bird does, the rest of the flock typically harmonize with that lead bird. It's amazing to see when a flock of pigeons or a flock of starlings will turn and cut their wings in complete perfection. I assume this would be to avoid colliding mid-air?

By the way, the rest of the mount looks well groomed, I like the paint on the bills, the neck/breast juncture looks good, and the attitude in the birds look like they are doing a fly-by! Overall, it looks nice. I would tip the outside bird (entire bird) upwards, and close the wings on the inside bird, and the mount would go from an 8+ to a ten in one minute!

I don't usually critique mounts, but lately, I've been obliging since they ask. I don't give critiques based on my skill level (or lack their of) but instead based on what my eye picks up, and overall balance. Your work is very nice, and ahead of the curve, but if I can help you get there sooner, then this is what jumps out at me.

:beer:

x2.....Great work. I have seen plenty of birds turned out by full time taxidermists who would love to get that good. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:36 pm

One thing often not mentioned is reference. I collect pictures of live birds that gives me a better insight of what I am trying to do. Studying them for over 50 years of hunting helps also plus having an aviary isn't bad either. As far as your birds you should be well pleased at your pace that you are making. My ninth and tenth birds are probably in a landfill somewhere. Constructive criticism is good if you are open-minded and you seem to be. Don't take anything personal as Pete and Brian are good at offering help and suggestions and I agree with their take on these birds. You are well on your way i feel and I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum