Duck Hunting Forum banner

2013 NM State Duck Calling Contest

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  KHerbst 
#1 ·
The 2013 New Mexico State Duck Calling Contest will be held at 12 p.m., May 18, 2013 at Sportsman's Warehouse, 1450 Renaissance Boulevard NE Albuquerque, NM 87107-7008. The Duke City Duck Club, Sportsman's Warehouse, Desert Greens Equipment, New Mexico Department of Game and Fish and Tanglefree will sponsor the event this year.

SPORTSMAN'S WAREHOUSE
1450 Renaissance Boulevard NE Albuquerque, NM 87107-7008

Registration opens at 10 a.m. & closes at 11 a.m.
Duck Calling starts at 12 p.m.

New Mexico State Junior Open Duck Calling Contest: Open to all callers 16 years of age and younger. Three rounds, 90 second routines, competition style. $5 entry fee per caller. This contest will qualify for the Callingducks.com sponsored "CDC Cup" points race.

New Mexico State Women Open Duck Calling Contest: Open to all female callers. Three rounds, 90 second routines, competition style. $15 entry fee per caller.

New Mexico State Duck Calling Contest: The contest is open to all New Mexico residents that will attain the age of seventeen (17) as of the hour of the World's Championship in Stuttgart, AR. All participants must bring proof of residency and agree to represent the State of New Mexico at the World's Championship in Stuttgart, AR Nov. 30, 2013, should they win. Should the winner fail to represent the contest, the second place winner can represent the contest at the "Worlds." Three rounds, 90 second routines, competition style. $40 entry fee per caller.

New Mexico State Open Team Meat Duck Calling Contest: This is a mallard duck calling 2-person contest, Open to All. Contest will be judged on the best team callers working ducks in from medium range, 250 yards or so. Leave the ringing hail calls alone and make the high end loud greeters. There is no limit on the number of teams a caller can call on. No calls barred. Three rounds, 90 second routines, no rules. $15 entry fee per team.

There will be prizes awarded for each category. The winner must be able to attend the World Duck Calling Contest in Stuttgart, Arkansas on Nov. 30, 2013.

The event chairman or a committee member must receive the registration fees payable to Ducks Unlimited no later than 10 a.m. M.S.T. on the day of the event.

Attention Senior & Women Division Callers!

If you register and pre-pay prior to April 15, you will receive your very own New Mexico State Duck Calling Contest Polo shirt. These polo shirts are pre-shrunk, extra heavyweight 6.5 oz, 100% ring spun cotton. You have a choice of Black or White.

Registration forms can be obtained from the Duke City Duck Club website, http://tinyurl.com/bdbds3o, NM State Duck Calling Contest Sanctioned Chair, Lance Cherry, by calling (505) 620-6883 or email lance@cherrymediagroup.com.

See less See more
#2 ·
There's ONLY 12 more days for pre-registration for the New Mexico State Duck Calling Contest! Callers who pre-register will receive their own contest polo shirt. To pre-register visit the club website and pay online, http://tinyurl.com/bdbds3o. Contestants can still officially register for the contest until 11 a.m. the day of the contest.

#4 ·
LUCERO WINS THE NM STATE DUCK CALLING CONTEST

ALBUQUERQUE - David Lucero won his first state title Saturday at the New Mexico State Duck Calling Contest.

"I'm still letting this sink in," Lucero said. "I've worked so hard for so many years. I wanted to win this title so bad."

In the Senior Division there were five contestants to take the stage for the 3-hourlong competition. Lucero was joined by runner ups Greg Daniel of Albuquerque, second; Ryan Garrett of Albuquerque, third.

And the Junior's Division champion was Alex Van Why of Albuquerque. Alex was joined by runner ups Mason Becker of Albuquerque, second; and Trenton Powell of Albuquerque, third.

In the Two-Man Meat Team Calling Contest the New Era Championship Calls Team, Greg Daniel and Ryan Garrett of Albuquerque, claimed the state title.

The annual contest is New Mexico's only qualifier for the World's Championship Duck Calling Contest held in Stuttgart, Arkansas over Thanksgiving weekend.

###

#8 ·
Dirty Bird-

Very true on the numbers of callers. The founders of the contest worked extremely hard to keep it going for so long. In the early days it maxed maybe 12 callers, of which maybe only 3-4 really knew what a Main Street routine sounded like. Only one qualifier is generous considering we don't produce the numbers needed even to cover the sanction fee from Stuttgart of $175. In recent years there has been a push to pull contests from states like NM so that powerhouse states like MO and AR can qualify more top rated callers.

I ran two Regional contests in the Midwest where we would pull 25-30 callers for each. Our goal, pay the sanction fee and send the top 5 away with a nice prize.

On the one hand it is nice to be in a non duck state....if you know what I mean. On the other it sucks.....wait I take that back I like non duck states! :thumbsup:

Good luck next year lets see what you got and give David, Greg and Ryan a run for their money!

KLH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.