You guys are too quiet

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

You guys are too quiet

Postby DivinDuckSlayer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:18 pm

We need to talk it up a little in here. Where is everyone going opening day of the north zone? I'll be in the Q-river
DivinDuckSlayer
hunter

Postby on duck call » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Think I might have seen ya there on the opener-need a jump? Went to a field and nothing. Not much moving yet need to cut some corn and this cool weather should start to get the birds moving.
on duck call
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:26 pm

I havent seem many local geese this year....not sure if they are all holding in the golf courses.

Has anyone gone out for this early season ????
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:09 pm

there are lot's of geese in the URBAN areas of the state....in fact, the July count/estimate shows 40,000 resident Canadas in CT!!!!!!! :eek:

See if you can find a good field that has been cut.......(prefer corn but even a cut hayfield might draw some birds)....near a golf course...or pattern their flights out of the courses....that's the best way to determine a field to set-up in.......the good thing is that they pretty much maintain their habits annually
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby on duck call » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:25 pm

Talked to farmers who hunt their property and the corn has been cut for a week and no geese. None of the lakes that usually has 100s of geese are empty and as for me its still a nil 2 outings. They are staying on short flights and feeding in very public areas. We need a good cold blast to get them moving around more.
on duck call
hunter

Geese are quiet too.

Postby Woodsman » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:43 pm

I went out twice both times were after work so I didn't have much time. I just went to two local spots.

I'm a commercial HVAC technician. I see huge flocks of geese on the athletic fields at the schools I work at, on the sides of the highway and on the lawns of comercial buildings. Today I walked out the back door of a building and there were six geese 10' from me and they didn't fly away as I set up some hoses.

I went out Friday after work. Thunder, lightning, no geese. Not one anywhere in the sky. The ducks of course were everywhere. Some came up and shook my hand before landing in my goose decoys. Bastards.

It was good to be out with my gun and cammo again but I'll have to get some next time.
Woodsman
hunter

Postby on duck call » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:30 pm

Don't think your the only one having a slow start. Its been a disappointing early season for my friends and I. 3 trips and not a bird in the sky.
on duck call
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting