Favorite hunt this season

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Favorite hunt this season

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:05 am

Well the Texas forum has been a little dead here lately. Even though I cant get on here much with the baby and work I figured I would do my part to liven it up.

So lets here it, what was your most memorable hunt of the season?

Mine was actually my first duck hunt ever. 32 degrees and clear we had a dozen decoys out and a blind made out of camo net and grass. 15 minutes after shooting light we had a pair of golden eyes come in out of no where, drop the landing gear and commit to the decoys like we had rehearsed before or something. Soon as I seen them my excitement over came me and I didnt warn any of the others, I stood up and let em have it. I got one and my buddy got the other, at that very moment I got infected with a bug worse then I have ever had before. It was worse then my first deer, turkey, hog and even my caribou all tied together. Since that day I dont think a day has went by that I havent watched, looked, read, dreamed or thought about something that had to do with ducks.

Next season cant get here fast enough!
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Re: Favorite hunt this season

Postby Quackedup » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:43 am

The first hunt is definitely a strong memory. My favorite duck hunt was one that was cold and foggy. The fog was so thick you could hear the ducks flying before you could see them. Few by few, the ducks came right into our spread. It was neat getting to see them materialize out of the fog.

I'll add one of my first hunts too. It was about twenty degrees and our little mud puddle was completely frozen. We had to wade out and break the ice to get the dec's out. The action was good, and several ducks were shot and landed on the ice. They would skid along leaving red stripes that quickly froze to the ice. The dog didn't know what to think about the ice either and several times he was sliding across the ice too.
Quackedup
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:10 am

Marathon Maniacs Member #9135
LTMFH
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:22 pm

My favorite hunt this year was when i took my brother out and we had our limit within an hour
11 Blue Bills - 1 Green wing
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362705424.561262.jpg
second in line was a hunt in lousiana during the split down here. it was really foggy and the birds just appeared out of no where.
10 snows - 2 specks - 1 ross - 5 spoonies - 2 pintail - 5 blue bills - 2 gaddy - 2 blue wings.ImageImagethere were a few more birds that were not in this pic...

Number three took place down south. It was a neat hunt cause after we had our limit of Read Heads, we steadily had flocks of 50+ reds continue to land in the decoys. 12 Red Heads - 6 Blue Bills - 2 spoonies - 4 Buffle Head.ImageImageNice head shot...ImageAnd last but no least, last day of the season i had a nice blue wing slip in. Also i made my farthest shot to date. I just barely saw him thru the fog in time to shoot. Hooded mergi at 70+ yds. It was so far that it even scared me...also had 2 gaddies do a complete 180 degree turn that day a came in perfect.ImageImage
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby GOTDUCKS? » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:26 am

Had several really good hunt's, but watching my boy shoot his first true double on snow's was great. Another good one was sitting in the marsh with the old lady and i'm putting a dip in and I hear her safety come off. She raises up drops two crossing teal looks at me and say's you shoulda been paying attention :lol3: Couldn't do much but cuss myself (under my breath of course) for not doing exactly that :oops:
GOTDUCKS?
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:01 am

If we were judging this on numbers killed I'd say all of teal season was phenomenal!! We had full limits every single hunt during teal season! It was definitely the best teal season I have ever been apart of hands down!

On a memory note I would say the youth hunt this year was pretty awesome and somewhat comical lol. We took my 14 year old cousin and my buddies 10 year old brother out for their first hunts. We had jumbo wads landing literally 10 feet from the blind, and they both ran through almost a box of shells lol. Each of them only shot one greenwing a piece but they were both hooked instantly! It was pretty funny when we had a group of 50 teal dive bomb into the spread and they both froze up solid. Lol. I'm pretty sure if there is such a thing as "duck fever" they both got it that day! Several times they pulled up on a group and never shot. Even though they didn't kill but one duck a piece it was still a really fun hunt!

Gotducks?- lol great story! I remember the first hunt I took my wife on and it was great. All morning I'm workin ducks within feet of the blind before letting her pick a easy shot. Then a group of gaddy's flare at 20 yards and she peels off two of em at near 40 yards with my youth model 20 Gauge. That's when I looked over and told her favoritism on shots was over hahaha! She out shot my dad that day and almost out shot me!! I was definitely a proud husband and slightly worried to piss her off after that hahaha....
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:27 pm

12/28/2012 - Kansas

Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Kansas! looks awesome. I'm going to try the dakotas. I was eating a shrimp cocktail today by the river in down town Austin and I saw two ducks drop in cupped and with the landing gear down and my heart sank. the spring blues hit. But i like this thread.
I think my favorite hunt was in the second split where I posted up on a steep bank and the ducks poured over the top of me from the back and i just watched, didn't shoot. Some even swam over to the bank and fed right in front of me. never knew I was there. fishing, frogging and the pigs will do for now but there is nothing like chasing waterfowl.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:19 pm

The Dakotas are great! I went up there two years ago? And mabey again this year. We stayed in the Rugby, ND area and wacked em hard. Limits if ducks every day and almost full limits of greater canadas every day. And in the afternoons we would wack some sandhills, and everyone got a swan tag for the year and managed to fill them.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:08 am

That sounds like a blast!
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:15 am

Duck Collector wrote:The Dakotas are great! I went up there two years ago? And mabey again this year. We stayed in the Rugby, ND area and wacked em hard. Limits if ducks every day and almost full limits of greater canadas every day. And in the afternoons we would wack some sandhills, and everyone got a swan tag for the year and managed to fill them.

Holy CHIT... That sounds like a trip right there!! Kill em all!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:40 pm

My grandpaw goes up there for 4 weeks every year and he invited me to go one year then next thing i know im on a plane to ND.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby justinmi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:07 pm

My favorite hunt this season by far was shooting my first banded duck during early teal season! I will forever have the image of that duck floating belly up and that silver band glimmering just below the surface of the water. I just stared at her for what seemed like an eternity in amazement before snatching her out of the water.

Then this month I'm flipping through the latest issue of wildfowl and there I am in the passages section, totally forgot I sent them my band info back in September, thought it was pretty sweet they got me in there.
Attachments
IMAG0732-1.jpg
Banded bluewing!
IMAG1110-1-1.jpg
Band info
IMAG1108-1.jpg
Passages in Wildfowl
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting