Snow Geese

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Snow Geese

Postby LBeinhaur » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:58 am

Any one seeing any snows yet?
Seeb a few hundred Canadas up near BTV last weeekend but haven't seen a snow yet.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Re: Snow Geese

Postby ronvt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:22 am

A friend just got back from ohio and saw thousands in western ny. I am headed over in 2 weeks for snow goose hunt and will post an update if i hear or see any snows.
ronvt
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:31 am

Season opens on the 11th and I am hoping some birds will be here! I need to get some hunting in here soon or I will not survive until turkey season!LOL
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby hawkman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:21 am

Hearing about lots of snows in western NY around Rochester. Have not heard of any in the Champlain area. Rig is packed and ready to go...just no birds yet.
hawkman
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:22 am

Been scouting around west addison all the way down to Poultney yesterday and have not seen any snows yet! Seeing turkeys in alot of spots but not so much in the way of snow geese! Also saw some Canada's yesterday! Think the snow we got has slowed them down a bit! Has anyone seen any snows on this side of the lake? My buddy in Erie Ny says they only have Canada's right now! Has not seen any snows as of yet!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby DU4LIFE » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Just moved to NH in 2012 and I noticed that we do not have a spring snow goose season. Makes sense since I didn't see any this past hunting season. I did however notice that Vermont has the spring season . I assume Vermont is seeing some numbers if they have a spring season. Is this more of a western Vermont shoot? Im planning to venture over to Vermont in about a week to scout/hunt for a couple days. I do have some shells and sillosocks but not many. Anyone gonna be out looking to add to there spread? I have all the gear (layout blind,waders,etc.) and ATV if needed. I moved here from the Midwest and hunted Illinois, Arkansas,Missouri, and north Dakota for the 3 years before moving to NH . I would appreciate any help you guys can provide .
DU4LIFE
hunter

Postby DU4LIFE » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:24 pm

BTW at the end of my first post it may seem like I've only been hunting for 3 years. That's not the case . I have been waterfowling for 15 seasons but only 3 years on the spring snow goose.
DU4LIFE
hunter

Postby Wingnaught » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Been lurking on this board for a while so it's probably more than time for me to contribute a litle something. :wink:

Some flocks (150-250 birds) have started getting reported on ebird over the northern end of Champlain and accross the Canadian border on Sunday. That said I scoped the open water between Alburgh and NY and drove through the Islands and back up on the NY side and only saw Canadas.

Large numbers reported around fingers lakes and saw some reports of flocks skirting the eastern shore of lake ontario and comming up the St-Lawrence. See March to date sightings map here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/map/snogoo?bmo=3&emo=3&byr=2013&eyr=2013&gp=true
Wingnaught
Newb

Postby BlackRiver » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:57 am

I'm also antsy waiting for turkey season and thinking of trying for snow geese this spring. I usually hunt in the Kingdom, and don't know Champlain very well. A friend recommended the Dead Creek WMA for snows...are there public blinds there? Or do you really need a big spread in a corn field? If anyone wants some company for a snow shoot on a weekend, just shoot me a pm.
BlackRiver
Newb

Postby LBeinhaur » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:02 am

Blackriver,

It might be better to save your gas! I live about 5 miles from Dead Creek and haven't seen a Snow goose this year.
I normally will hear and see them flying over my house if they are in the area. Seen tons of Canadas but no snows.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 am

In reference to your other question , there are no public blinds, the refuge only has hunting once a week in the fall for about 5 or 6 weeks.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting