Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lodd Hudson fire.

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Cujo1 
#1 ·
L.O.D.D. Notice - HUDSON, IL -- It is with deep regret that we must inform you of the line of duty death of Bloomington and Hudson Firefighter Christopher Brown.

Hudson Fire Department responded to Interstate 39 near milepost 6 to a multiple vehicle accident at approximately 9:45pm last night. About an hour later, a tractor-trailer carrying a load of automobiles lost control and struck the emergency vehicles operating at the scene.

In addition to FF Brown, five other members of the Hudson Fire Department were injured and transported to Advocate BroMenn Regional Medical Center in Normal. FF Brown was pronounced dead by emergency department staff at 11:38 PM.

FF Brown was a full-time firefighter for the City of Bloomington and a volunteer firefighter for the Hudson Community Fire Protection district.

Funeral Announcement -- FF Christopher R. Brown

Date Of Birth: November 9, 1973 Date Of Death: March 5, 2013

Service Info: Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Monday, March 11, 2013 at Eastview Christian Church in Normal.

Visitation will be from 4-8 p.m. Sunday, March 10, 2013 at the church with a firefighters walk through from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Sunday.

RIP BROTHER!

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry to hear about this terrible tragedy, to many, to often.

I do have a question and mean no disrespect whatsoever, and I know no specifics of the accident. Why was the highway not shut down? We had a similar accident down here years ago that killed a firefighter from Sesser. His name nickname was Shib, there was a push for a new law to allow Fire departments to shut down highways to help prevent this type of accident, it is calle Shibs law. Was this not imposed or was it and the accident was during clean-up or what were the circumstances. Or did the semi just ignore everything and drive through a closed road or what? Just wondering, like I said no disrespect just asking why?

#6 ·
Sfd714 said:
We have had problems with state getting pissy when we shut down a highway for accidents.

That is not surprising with this state. I know on the interstate 57 here they shut it right down. My son is a firefighter and I'm glad they do it that way.

#7 ·
We dont have interstate in my district. Certain county deputies get nervous when we shut highways downs. You had a legitimate question. Iv gotten into alot of heated arguments with people cuz some dont understand stand we shut roads down fore fire dept safety and the general public doesn't need to see some of the stuff we see.

#8 ·
Sfd714 said:
We dont have interstate in my district. Certain county deputies get nervous when we shut highways downs. You had a legitimate question. Iv gotten into alot of heated arguments with people cuz some dont understand stand we shut roads down fore fire dept safety and the general public doesn't need to see some of the stuff we see.

x2 This statement is very true. being able to stop traffic makes everyone safer

#9 ·
Cujo1 said:
Sorry to hear about this terrible tragedy, to many, to often.

I do have a question and mean no disrespect whatsoever, and I know no specifics of the accident. Why was the highway not shut down? We had a similar accident down here years ago that killed a firefighter from Sesser. His name nickname was Shib, there was a push for a new law to allow Fire departments to shut down highways to help prevent this type of accident, it is calle Shibs law. Was this not imposed or was it and the accident was during clean-up or what were the circumstances. Or did the semi just ignore everything and drive through a closed road or what? Just wondering, like I said no disrespect just asking why?
I don't know the what exactly happened on that call. If the interstate was shutdown or not. I personally have no problem shutting down I-80. Most of the state troopers are cool about it and understand, but you can get the one that isn't too happy about it. Safety for my crew and myself come before ANYTHING else!!

#10 ·
See that is what I was wondering, if it was shut down. Now don't quote me and check it out yourself, but the Shibs law gives the Fire dept the authority to shut down the road. So do it to stay safe and tell the state trooper to go fly a kite to be polite. It also state that penalties and fines associated with anyone injured in such a scenario will be equal to or exceed that of state workers. Which is irrelavant at the time of an accident. Check this law out and implement it if possible. It will save lives. Like I said it came about by a fireman getting hit on 57 while putting away gear after the accident was cleaned up. Hope this helps somebody in the future. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.