Black finished duck guns?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Black finished duck guns?

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:19 am

Does the military use camo rifles yet? I would hate to get shot with a non-camo one. Would never hear the end of it from my hunter friends in heaven :mad:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:08 am

I've been using a black SBE for about 15 years now. The only reason it has any blemishes is becasue I waited a couple days (or more) before wiping it with an piece of chamois soaked in light oil like Breakfree.

I used to hunt the Salton Sea years ago and used LPS1. Great at keeping rust away in a briny environment.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:45 pm

You cannot kill ducks with a black gun, unless you can.

I've hunted both and it makes absolutely no difference IMHO. Camo is cooler to own, but black is every bit as good for killing ducks, geese and turkeys.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Big Dan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:04 pm

I've seen too many of the camo guns fade out after a couple years. I won't spend the extra money for one. I'll take mine black.
Big Dan
Newb

Postby Coonrod » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm ashamed to admit it,
but I killed all my ducks last season
with a brown (wood) and black gun.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Lets look at some evidence, Blued barrels and walnut stocks have been killing ducks for 100 years. We all wear camo out on the slough, so what harm can a little on your gun do? And as for black finished synthetics, a duck flying over/ strait on/ left or right. Do you really think either way, that the ducks are going to see a BLACK gun? I dont think so, not unless your swinging it in the air like a bat.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby OkieFowler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Since I was 16 years old, I've hunted with wood/blued, black synthetic/matte, and camo shotguns. Never seemed to matter what I used in order to be successful at killing ducks. Although Staying still (not moving around), being concealed, as well as decoy placement and proper calling, does matter.

If camo was really the key to success, then I would have to pick every spent shotshell case, sandwich bag, plastic bottle, and whatever else the knuckleheads discarded before I got to the place they hunted. At 5:30 AM it's hard to see all that stuff laying around until daylight, about the time the ducks start to work. Ducks didn't seem to mind all the shiny junk laying around, they just kept piling into the decoys. Not that the ducks care (nor do the idiots who littered), but I pick it all up at the end of the day.

And if being shiny really matters, I need to quit hunting ducks in water and start looking for some good fields. Unless of course someone can tell me how I can camo the water.
OkieFowler
hunter

Postby RonE » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 am

Black, Cammo or blue steel, what difference does it make?
Attachments
RonJon 11.jpg
RonE
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:22 am

I’m amazed this thread is so long. This subject isn’t rocket science. I've had success with both types of guns. Of course millions of ducks have been killed without camo guns, just as they were killed without camo clothing, boats, netting, etc. Success can often be had even while doing everything “wrong”, as any hunter who has had a ducks decoy while standing out in the open at water’s edge can attest to, but every little detail you attend to stacks the odds just that little bit more in your favor. Nobody knows for sure, even if they insist they do, what specific factor resulted in their success or failure on a specific day, or with a single duck that decoyed or flared off. These dumb arguments too-often stem from people having an all-or-none attitude towards these things.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Big Hutch » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:31 am

The camp is DEFINITELY worth the extra money. We hunt salt water marsh and one hunt will tell you that the camo finish is more rust resistant and protects the gun infinitely better.

Just my 2 cents.
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Big Hutch
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:54 am

Yuchi1 wrote:http://remington.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/236/session/L3RpbWUvMTM3Mjg5NjEzMy9zaWQvelhoeVlqdWw%3D

Maybe on the Remingtons since they suck, but the entire outside of my BPS is pretty much waterproof....just a little dab of oil on a rag to wipe the dust off and it's good to go.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:11 am

Wave gun barrel around like a fool = bad no matter camo or black.

Keep gun still = good no matter camo or black.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:13 am

Which do you prefer: solid dark brown waders, or camo waders?

I rest my case.
mudpack
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:37 am

mudpack wrote:Which do you prefer: solid dark brown waders, or camo waders?

I rest my case.

Either one. If all waders were available in brown, and the brown ones were cheaper, I would buy them.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:47 am

I rest my case.

What case? The only resemblance between waders and guns is that both are most often hidden from view.

(But shoveler_shooter does have me feeling foolish for not checking to see if my camo "hunting" waders could have been bought more cheaply in a brown "fishing" version.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 am

I agree Rick. The only reason my waders aren't brown or tan is because the brown and tan versions don't have enough insulation for late season hunting here in Canada. I actually wear green rubber and canvas koffman waders that are almost 30 years old for building blinds, youth hunts and early in the season if weather allows. And the birds don't seem to care.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:44 am

Rick Hall wrote:

I rest my case.

What case? The only resemblance between waders and guns is that both are most often hidden from view.

Exactly my point. Even though both are usually hidden from the duck's view, most guys will still opt for the camo waders....for the very same reasons that most guys will opt for the camo shotgun. I think my point has been made?
mudpack
hunter

Postby quanah labs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:10 am

I think I'm the kind of idiot that marketing firms love. I am about to purchase a camo gun in the next few weeks because I think they look cool. Not sure how much more they will help conceal me but I still want one.
Hunt like your hungry
quanah labs
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:09 am

I killed a boat of ducks and a bunch of geese with my SST ruger over and under yes stainless steel no camo say it isn't so :biggrin:
cootlover
hunter

Postby hawglips » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:14 am

No need for camo guns. Much prefer black over camo, but blued and wood is my choice.
hawglips
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:12 pm

hawglips wrote:No need for camo guns. Much prefer black over camo, but blued and wood is my choice.

plus no need to worry about Deet or cleaning fluids ruining the "camo"
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Get a thermacell and you don't have to worry about Deet on your gear or guns. I have several different duck guns. A Belgium Auto 5 (wood and blued), Jap Auto 5 (Mag Stalker black), and a Benelli SBEII (Mossy Oak Shadowgrass), and a Benelli M2( cerakoted barrel and receiver and Bottomland furniture). I've killed birds with all them. Do you have to have camo? Absolutely not. Does it help? Who knows. Does it hurt?No in absolutely no way at all. I think it all comes back to the Indian and not the arrow. But if anyone feels camo gives them even a slight advantage then by all means use it. Myself I prefer the camo or cerakote simply because I never have to worry bout scratches or rust

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:27 am

Luvbowhuntn wrote:Get a thermacell and you don't have to worry about Deet on your gear or guns. I have several different duck guns. A Belgium Auto 5 (wood and blued), Jap Auto 5 (Mag Stalker black), and a Benelli SBEII (Mossy Oak Shadowgrass), and a Benelli M2( cerakoted barrel and receiver and Bottomland furniture). I've killed birds with all them. Do you have to have camo? Absolutely not. Does it help? Who knows. Does it hurt?No in absolutely no way at all. I think it all comes back to the Indian and not the arrow. But if anyone feels camo gives them even a slight advantage then by all means use it. Myself I prefer the camo or cerakote simply because I never have to worry bout scratches or rust

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I hunted with Wingmaster 870's most of my career. Seeing the finish get ate off the stock of cheap expresses makes you spend the extra money and buy nicer stuff. If bug spray eats the camo off your shotgun you got took.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:16 pm

The horse started twitching again didn't it? :no:
duckman27
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum