Duck Hunting Forum banner

Excited For Next Season

3K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Justin Weber 
#1 ·
How many of you guys are pumped for next year. Because I know I am. Also what do you all look for when it comes to scouting, like what kind of signs and what are you excited for most about next year?

#6 ·
Bill Herian said:
The more Wisconsin duck seasons i get under my belt, the more excited I get about bowhunting.
Some of us just dont know any better. I grew up hunting areas with more hunters than ducks. The competetion is what i know. I dont know what its like to hunt some private mecca of daily limits.

The things I look forward to are those early morning on the marsh. I love the smell of the swamp and the beautiful sunrises that follow that crisp boat ride. I also love the dog work, and setting out deeks. Prob my two favorite parts of the sport.

I am also looking forward to re-doing things on the boat blind and making changes to the existing design. I love it all. Hard to beat a big fat greenie cupped up greebin on his decent, followed up with some good dog work.

#7 ·
I like duck hunting fine, but when I finally scratch out some time to hunt, I want to get away. Killing a bird isn't a big deal for me, regardless of the process. I'm sure I'd like duck hunting a lot more if I was less gear intensive, rather than more. It's a great social sport, but for me, bowhunting is a lot more intimate, and the successes and failures are thusly compounded. The character of the animal plays a huge role as well. The feeling I get when I put myself in the way of a nice buck without his knowing towers over any duck coming into the spread. I also like the idea of hunting an animal across several weeks, months, or even years. Much more personal than shooting a mallard that you met 12 seconds ago. Just different strokes for different folks.

#9 ·
Bill, I hear ya. I use to be a die hard bow hunter, loved the sport, but as with any sport there are those who wreck the sport. I got a bad taste of the sport. Too much my deer stuff and way way to much poaching, bs, and unethical practices. I still own 180 acres of prime habitat that touches my fathers 180. Been farming it for the critters for a bit over ten years now. This last couple years I haven't even purchased a tag and my bow is now set up for carp.

I loved the rush I got deer hunting, didn't even need to let the arrow fly for me to shake uncontrollably in a tree. Heck my heart would race even when a spike would roam through in close proximity. I will agree the rush of those encounters is different and sometimes missed.

#10 ·
koonce727 said:
Too much my deer stuff and way way to much poaching, bs, and unethical practices.
Bugs me too. I'm all for deer managemnt but I can't stand the "why'd you shoot that little buck?" mentality. I hunt a very remote part of the state and even there it seems everyone is becomming more and more concerned with what is happening on the "other guy's" side of the fence. I say your land, your tag, your choice. That and big buck culture is downright pricing people out of the sport. Can hardly call whitetails a blue collar game species anymore.

#11 ·
I ran into problems with ppl and the my land I do as I please deal. Some guy shoots a small buck then won't tag it cuz it want big enough, and if they tag that one how can they get the bigger one. Or go over your tag limit. Heck process it on the farm and no one will know. I agree on your land by in large do as you please but owning land does not give that person the right to break laws. Our property is in a remote area and I've seen neighbors brag on shooting bobcats, badger and worse because of there my land mentality.

#17 ·
im excited about the new decoy spread I been working on in the off season. Got the trailer loaded front to back, top to bottom. actually looking at buying a bigger trailer.

Other then that im ready to shoot some geese, ducks. This weekend will be a nice break from the madness. i have hunted ducks or geese everyweekend from sept 1. in wi, il, ky, mo. So im ready to have a chill weekend and sleep in for once.

i've also made some upgrades on the mallard spread and sold some of the diver spread. so next on my agenda is buying some more divers. I am down to 12 cans, 8 ringers, 2dz buffies.

#19 ·
:hi: New to the forum, and new to waterfowl hunting. Went duck hunting 2 times last year with my neighbor, and got hooked. never got a shot off, but just seemed to get hooked. Now i am picking it up myself, decoys, calls. boat not cheap, but i can't stop thinking about it. Even though i'm sure i won't be the most successful, but i'm willing to give it my all to get a few.

#23 ·
WisconsinWaterfowler said:
Justin Weber said:
Changing the spread over to all FFD's next year. Year after that buying a $15, 000 boat, Custom RNT duck calls.... yeah u could say its getting exspensive.
Sounds like someone is buying into the idea that they have to have the newest priciest crap on the market to shoot some ducks. :rolleyes:
And having fun while doing it!

#25 ·
Justin Weber said:
Changing the spread over to all FFD's next year. Year after that buying a $15, 000 boat, Custom RNT duck calls.... yeah u could say its getting exspensive.
Sounds like someone is buying into the idea that they have to have the newest priciest crap on the market to shoot some ducks.
:rolleyes:
Sounds like someones a little jealous that they dont have ffd`s

#26 ·
bigwaterkiller said:
Justin Weber said:
Sounds like someone is buying into the idea that they have to have the newest priciest crap on the market to shoot some ducks.
:rolleyes:
Sounds like someones a little jealous that they dont have ffd`s
I have a bunch, not really a fan and I paid about a quarter of the price for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.